Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storm door opens from which side????

The window in my storm door broke. I decided this is the time to
replace the whole door. The door with the broken window has the handle
on the same side as the entrance door, that is one behind the other.
But on my back entrance door/storm door, the entrance handle is on
right of the door as you go outside and the handle for the storm door
is over on the left side, which is the hinge side of the entrance door.
I hope you followed this.
My question is, is there a rule thumbs for the placement of the storm
door handle in relation to the entrance door.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
ups.com...
The window in my storm door broke. I decided this is the time to
replace the whole door. The door with the broken window has the handle
on the same side as the entrance door, that is one behind the other.
But on my back entrance door/storm door, the entrance handle is on
right of the door as you go outside and the handle for the storm door
is over on the left side, which is the hinge side of the entrance door.
I hope you followed this.
My question is, is there a rule thumbs for the placement of the storm
door handle in relation to the entrance door.

TIA

Handle to handle looks the best and is "normal". Prevailing wind direction
sometimes dictates the reverse to be the best, prudent course of action.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
My question is, is there a rule thumbs for the placement of the storm
door handle in relation to the entrance door.

Yes. Unless there is a strong prevailing wind that can blow the door wide
open, the handles are both on the same side. Having them opposite makes for
a PITA to open and get a key into the lock on the opposite side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Yes. Unless there is a strong prevailing wind that can blow the door wide
open, the handles are both on the same side. Having them opposite makes for
a PITA to open and get a key into the lock on the opposite side.

An unusual set up.... my side door is in a corner.

The screen door is hinged on the opposite side as the wood door. When
opened, the screen door is against the other wall (the other leg of the
L). The wood door, when opened, is against an inside wall. Entry into
the kitchen is to the left (and up a step).

Yeah, it's a bit of a PITA, but certainly better than trying to squeeze
between the screen door and the outside wall.