Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking to replace my 973.27492 cordless drill. Anything new that's close?

Bummer, it grew legs and walked off. What is close to it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2014 9:44 AM, JB wrote:
Bummer, it grew legs and walked off. What is close to it?

From a brief look, it looked to be an older design. There have been
many improvements in cordless tools. Probably the best is Lithium Ion
batteries. I have always liked the Bosch drills, mostly because of the
one hand chuck. But many brands now have this feature. I had an older
14.4 volt Bosch, 1/2", but when it disappeared (left on the car and slid
off to who knows where?), I bought the latest and greatest Bosch 14.4.
However, the this one is actually a wee bit heavier and more powerful
than the old one. And, it's getting harder and harder to lift the drill
above my head. My niece put me onto the new Bosch 12 volt. It's only a
3/8", super light and has a lithium battery. It's not quite as powerful
as the old 14.4, but, for 98% of my uses, it's plenty powerful and is my
go-to drill most of the time. That all said, I'm not 100% Bosch person
and also have some DeWalt stuff and like them too. When I needed to
replace the 18 volt batteries for the yellow tools, 5 3/8" circular saw,
a recip saw and a fluorescent lamp, I bought a DeWalt 1/2" drill with 2
batteries and a charger for $100 (Lowe's). Not the super XRP batteries,
but much lighter. I now have 3 battery drills which is really handy
when building small projects where you have to go back and forth between
3 different bits. Some people would say use a corded drill, but for my
uses, the batteries work well for me. If I used my tools 8 hours a day,
I might have a different view.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 06:44:01 -0700, JB
wrote:

Bummer, it grew legs and walked off. What is close to it?

Don't know but Ms. bought me Rockwell's 3Rill for birthday present, along
with lifetime battery warrantee. the small handle holding the battery and
'light weight' makes this tool incredibly useful. Get the FULL set that
comes with it, too. PS: with two batteries and quick charge have NEVER
been left waiting for power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 08:44:30 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

Don't know but Ms. bought me Rockwell's 3Rill for birthday present, along
with lifetime battery warrantee. the small handle holding the battery and
'light weight' makes this tool incredibly useful. Get the FULL set that
comes with it, too. PS: with two batteries and quick charge have NEVER
been left waiting for power.

+1

I bought this one and love it. Not the full kit, as I have plenty of
bits, etc.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/12v_lithium_3rill.aspx

The batteries have a circuit that prevents a deep discharge.

My 5-piece Bosch 18V set has 3 dead batteries that would cost ~$150 to
have fixed, so I plan to sell the tools and buy a corded Jig saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gfretwell , Bummer wrote:
gfretwell wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:44:01 +0000, JB
The guy who stole it has it on Ebay ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Craftsman-97...iver-/85696513
I would go with the 18v black and white Makita. (LiON)
It is smaller and more powerful. They are usually in the $70
neighborhood with the fast charger and 2 batteries, You can recharge
one faster than you usually can kill one.

Thanks but it was 3days ago. So many to choose from..

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gfretwell , JB wrote:
gfretwell wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:44:01 +0000, JB
The guy who stole it has it on Ebay ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Craftsman-97...iver-/85696513
I would go with the 18v black and white Makita. (LiON)
It is smaller and more powerful. They are usually in the $70
neighborhood with the fast charger and 2 batteries, You can recharge
one faster than you usually can kill one.

Unable to find, taken down from ebay? Just not sure what to do about it
all yet. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't know but Ms. bought me Rockwell's 3Rill for birthday present, along
with lifetime battery warrantee. the small handle holding the battery and
'light weight' makes this tool incredibly useful. Get the FULL set that
comes with it, too. PS: with two batteries and quick charge have NEVER
been left waiting for power.

+1

I bought this one and love it. Not the full kit, as I have plenty of
bits, etc.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/12v_lithium_3rill.aspx

The batteries have a circuit that prevents a deep discharge.

My 5-piece Bosch 18V set has 3 dead batteries that would cost ~$150 to
have fixed, so I plan to sell the tools and buy a corded Jig saw.

I just rebuild my batteries with 3500 ma batteries. works great. Most
original batteries I find when opening are 1300ma or 1700ma. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:05:19 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

I just rebuild my batteries with 3500 ma batteries. works great. Most
original batteries I find when opening are 1300ma or 1700ma. WW

I've opened one on my batteries to have a look. I've never rebuilt
one but just changing out the cells with better would be less
expensive than the $150 to send them to Primcell.com.

I'm not the best at using a solder gun. I've read that some people
have damaged new cells from too much heat. I'll look into it later and
get more details. I've been looking at a micro butane torch that has
special tips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:39:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...

I'm not the best at using a solder gun. I've read that some people
have damaged new cells from too much heat. I'll look into it later and
get more details. I've been looking at a micro butane torch that has
special tips.

conductive epoxy glue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:43:34 PM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:
On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:39:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...

I'm not the best at using a solder gun. I've read that some people

have damaged new cells from too much heat. I'll look into it later and

get more details. I've been looking at a micro butane torch that has

special tips.

conductive epoxy glue?

spot weld the tabs to the cells, or buy cells with tabs already spot welded on.

primecell does a great job......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 19:43:34 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:39:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...

I'm not the best at using a solder gun. I've read that some people
have damaged new cells from too much heat. I'll look into it later and
get more details. I've been looking at a micro butane torch that has
special tips.

conductive epoxy glue?

Now that is interesting, thanks.

http://www.masterbond.com/applications/metal-bonding-adhesives
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bob haller , JB wrote:
hallerb wrote:

spot weld the tabs to the cells, or buy cells with tabs already spot welded

on.
primecell does a great job......

The batteries are still around. Sears parts direct and 9000 Neiman rd op
ks
But not sure of the model number anymore. Sears 12volt industry crastman
3/8 I also want to know what torch it was. I am thinking about 400 is
that close? Thanks everyone for all the help. You all been a great help..
Take care j