Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old laptop to get Internet on TV

"trader_4" wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:18:55 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"Don Phillipson" wrote in
message

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I'm trying to score a cheap or free old laptop so I

can watch Internet programs on TV.

What do I require in a laptop that will do the
job. Does it need to

have the equivalent of the TV? Or...?

Do you need a laptop at all?

The site you linked says so...

"Google's Chromecast is a small dongle that plugs into
a spare HDMI port on

your TV to stream media from the internet to the living
room screen using

your smartphone, tablet or computer as a remote."

Ummm, it doesn't appear to say that you need a laptop.

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to which the TV can function as
a monitor. In the context of this thread (see subject) that would be a
laptop.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:49:41 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or tablet is just used
to *control* what happens on the TV. For example, with my Tivo, I
can use my smartphone and it's display to search for a Youtube video
or a Netflix movie. Having found it, I can then command that it be
played and it shows up on the TV by being streamed to the Tivo.
I wouldn't say the TV is functioning
as the monitor for my smartphone, any more than I'd say the TV is
functioning as a monitor for an ordinary remote. The TV is essentially
serving as a display for the chrome device.

If you're using a PC and it's video card to play media and then have
the TV connected to it, in that case I'd say the TV is functioning as a monitor,
because it's connected to and displaying what would normally show up
on the PC monitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:49:41 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Ummm, it doesn't appear to say that you need a laptop.

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to which
the TV can function as

a monitor. In the context of this thread (see subject)
that would be a

laptop.

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or tablet
is just used
to *control* what happens on the TV.

OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this
thread) is needed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:25:57 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:49:41 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Ummm, it doesn't appear to say that you need a laptop.

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to which

the TV can function as

a monitor. In the context of this thread (see subject)

that would be a

laptop.

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or tablet

is just used

to *control* what happens on the TV.

OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this

thread) is needed.

What do you mean a laptop is needed? If the OP has a smartphone, she
can use that with Chromecast. Or a tablet. IDK about you, but I'd rather
use one of those to control my TV media source than a laptop and if
you already have a smartphone, all you need is Chromecast.
That is where we're headed, to stream internet video directly to the TV.
Many new TVs have the capability built-in. Or you can buy a Chromecast
or similar cheap widget. Before I went out to buy a PC or notebook
to use for streaming video to a TV, I'd fully investigate the other alternatives, especially when they could be just $40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ummm, it doesn't appear to say that you need a
laptop.

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to
which

the TV can function as

a monitor. In the context of this thread (see
subject)

that would be a

laptop.

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or
tablet

is just used

to *control* what happens on the TV.

OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless,
the laptop (for this

thread) is needed.

What do you mean a laptop is needed? If the OP has a
smartphone, she
can use that with Chromecast. Or a tablet.

She specifically asked about laptops. Not smart phones, not
tablets...laptops.

Someone provided a link to a gizmo and asked if a laptop was even needed. I
replied to that reply pointing out that the provided link specifically said
that an external device was needed. I don't care which one she - or you -
use but OP asked about laptops.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, if you have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan. Plus you are
limited to Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

You can find a laptop on Craiglist for very little money and then it can
used as a dedicated media device.

My little brother bought a Chromecast last December and he isn't happy
with it because there are some kind of conflicts between it and his
Samsung tablet. He says it works fine with his laptop but was ****ed
after he bought it because he wanted to use his tablet.

Personally I have all of the TV stations that I would ever need with my
current cable package. For movies, I use The Pirate Bay
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

And before you say it, I know a smartphone can be used with a router,
but then we are getting into another area. We don't know what kind of
setup the OP currently has. Also, some of the older smartphones don't
have wifi capability. And, my girlfriends iPhone on occasion has somehow
switched itself from my router to her 4G connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ummm, it doesn't appear to say that you need a

laptop.

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to

which

the TV can function as

a monitor. In the context of this thread (see

subject)

that would be a

laptop.

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or

tablet

is just used

to *control* what happens on the TV.

OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless,

the laptop (for this

thread) is needed.

What do you mean a laptop is needed? If the OP has a

smartphone, she

can use that with Chromecast. Or a tablet.

She specifically asked about laptops. Not smart phones, not

tablets...laptops.

It's a mighty strange view that because she said she's looking at
buying a laptop as the solution, it means that a laptop is required.
She's clearly looking at solving a problem, ie getting internet video to a TV.
People proposed alternate possible solutions, which seems approriate,
one of which was Chromecast. Chromecast doesn't require a laptop
or even a PC. She could use a smartphone or tablet, which for most
people, is going to be a lot more convenient and easy to use.

And then when I pointed out that out, you responded with more
obfuscation:

"OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this
thread) is needed."

Just because she asked about using a laptop to
stream video to TV doesn't mean that a laptop is required for Chromecast.
It's an *alternate* solution and you can even use a smartphone.

Someone provided a link to a gizmo and asked if a laptop was even needed. I

replied to that reply pointing out that the provided link specifically said

that an external device was needed.

Below is what you actually posted:

Don: Do you need a laptop at all?

You: The site you linked says so...

"Google's Chromecast is a small dongle that plugs into a spare HDMI port on
your TV to stream media from the internet to the living room screen using
your smartphone, tablet or computer as a remote."

I don't care which one she - or you -

use but OP asked about laptops.

So, it's better that we just stick to what someone who obviously
isn't too sure what the best solution is, thinks they need, rather than offer
alternatives that may make more sense and cost less? Say she has
a smartphone. She can buy Chromecast for $40. But she should stick
with only considering a laptop because that's what she was originally
considering? When the whole world is moving to streaming internet
video to TV's directly, she shouldn't even consider it? Good grief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

The streaming video doesn't go through the smartphone. The smartphone
is just used to select what gets *streamed* to the Chromecast device.
The actual streaming video is from your wireless router directly
to the Chromecast. The above is what DaddiOh apparently doesn't
understand either.

And it's incorrect that you're limited to a few sources. AFAIK,
anything that you can view on a Chrome browser, you can view on
Chromecast.

You can find a laptop on Craiglist for very little money and then it can

used as a dedicated media device.

My little brother bought a Chromecast last December and he isn't happy

with it because there are some kind of conflicts between it and his

Samsung tablet. He says it works fine with his laptop but was ****ed

after he bought it because he wanted to use his tablet.

I'm sure we could all find some incompatibility problems with anything.
And I'm not saying that she should use Chromecast. Just that:

A - As others have suggested, it's an alternate solution. If she
has a smartphone and wireless router she can implement it for $40
instead of buying a laptop.

B - A smartphone is what I'd use to control what I'm watching on
TV, rather than a notebook. A lot more convenient.

C - The whole world is moving to streaming video directly to the TV,
with many TV's already having built-in internet capability.

She can do whatever she pleases, but I don't see anything wrong with
looking at all the options and the choices should be made on fact,
not incorrect info. One advantage I see in a "PC" based approach
is that it can also serve as a DVR.

Personally I have all of the TV stations that I would ever need with my

current cable package. For movies, I use The Pirate Bay

That's where I am too. Over the years I've looked at the available
movies from Netflix, etc, but there is enough similar stuff on cable
that I'm already paying for and not enough special stuff on the
NEtflixs, etc that I'm really interested in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

See my detailed reply to your previous post. With Chromecast of
a similar device, the streaming video does not go through the smartphone,
tablet, whatever. It's just used to choose the streaming video and
start it. The actual streaming video is from wireless router to the
Chromecast directly.

We don't know what kind of

setup the OP currently has.

But she does.

Also, some of the older smartphones don't

have wifi capability.

It would be a pretty old smartphone. They've all had that for
many years now. And so what? We shouldn't offer alternate
solutions because she might have an old smarthphone?

And, my girlfriends iPhone on occasion has somehow

switched itself from my router to her 4G connection.

Irrelevant.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 4/9/2014 11:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:22:51 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

And before you say it, I know a smartphone can be used with a router,

but then we are getting into another area.

See my detailed reply to your previous post. With Chromecast of
a similar device, the streaming video does not go through the smartphone,
tablet, whatever. It's just used to choose the streaming video and
start it. The actual streaming video is from wireless router to the
Chromecast directly.

I'm the one that brought up using a router. You said you could use a
smartphone, tablet, or PC. I don't recall you saying to use a router
*with* the smartphone and/or tablet.

So, if you stream a video with a smartphone using your 3G/4G connection
it isn't using any bandwidth?

Also, some of the older smartphones don't

have wifi capability.

It would be a pretty old smartphone. They've all had that for
many years now. And so what? We shouldn't offer alternate
solutions because she might have an old smarthphone?

Well, since the smartphone is just used to start the video then using
your cellular connection should be just fine, right?

http://www.att.com/att/datacalculator/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:43:37 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
On 4/9/2014 11:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:22:51 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

And before you say it, I know a smartphone can be used with a router,

but then we are getting into another area.

See my detailed reply to your previous post. With Chromecast of

a similar device, the streaming video does not go through the smartphone,

tablet, whatever. It's just used to choose the streaming video and

start it. The actual streaming video is from wireless router to the

Chromecast directly.

I'm the one that brought up using a router. You said you could use a

smartphone, tablet, or PC. I don't recall you saying to use a router

*with* the smartphone and/or tablet.

Follow the thread. No one ever suggested using a smartphone to stream
video. The suggestion was made that she could use *Chromecast* or
a similar device. You use a smartphone, tablet, or PC to *control*
the Chromecast, select what you want to view, and start it. The streaming video doesn't go through the phone,tablet or PC. The streaming video goes
from internet cloud, to your wifi router, to the Chromecast. That is how
that and similar devices work.

So, if you stream a video with a smartphone using your 3G/4G connection

it isn't using any bandwidth?

Again, see the above and look at what Chromecast is and how it works.

Also, some of the older smartphones don't

have wifi capability.

It would be a pretty old smartphone. They've all had that for

many years now. And so what? We shouldn't offer alternate

solutions because she might have an old smarthphone?

Well, since the smartphone is just used to start the video then using

your cellular connection should be just fine, right?

No because the smartphone needs to be communicating with the
Chromecast device on your local wifi network. Cellular data
connection has no relevance.

http://www.att.com/att/datacalculator/

irrelevant
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 4/9/2014 1:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Gotcha. I didn't know exactly how it worked but you have cleared that up.

Also, my brother was supposed to mail (he lives in another state) his
Chromecast to me but never did. So I guess it is sitting in a junk
drawer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:49:58 -0400, wrote:

If you run into that "no VGA input" problem, get one of these

http://www.meritline.com/vga-to-hdmi...--p-67325.aspx

What about an HDMI switch?

http://www.meritline.com/high-speed-hdmi-hdcp-3-ports-mini-switch-external-ir-receiver-remote---p-33053.aspx

I don't recall the OP even saying she had a wireless router??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:09:35 PM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:49:58 -0400, wrote:

If you run into that "no VGA input" problem, get one of these

http://www.meritline.com/vga-to-hdmi...--p-67325.aspx

What about an HDMI switch?

http://www.meritline.com/high-speed-hdmi-hdcp-3-ports-mini-switch-external-ir-receiver-remote---p-33053.aspx

I don't recall the OP even saying she had a wireless router??

Yes, have wireless router.

HB