Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Old laptop to get Internet on TV

On 4/9/2014 1:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:43:37 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
On 4/9/2014 11:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:22:51 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

And before you say it, I know a smartphone can be used with a
router,

but then we are getting into another area.

See my detailed reply to your previous post. With Chromecast of

a similar device, the streaming video does not go through the
smartphone,

tablet, whatever. It's just used to choose the streaming video
and

start it. The actual streaming video is from wireless router to
the

Chromecast directly.

I'm the one that brought up using a router. You said you could use

smartphone, tablet, or PC. I don't recall you saying to use a
router

*with* the smartphone and/or tablet.

Follow the thread. No one ever suggested using a smartphone to
stream video. The suggestion was made that she could use
*Chromecast* or a similar device. You use a smartphone, tablet, or
PC to *control* the Chromecast, select what you want to view, and
start it. The streaming video doesn't go through the phone,tablet or
PC. The streaming video goes from internet cloud, to your wifi
router, to the Chromecast. That is how that and similar devices
work.

So, if you stream a video with a smartphone using your 3G/4G
connection

it isn't using any bandwidth?

Again, see the above and look at what Chromecast is and how it
works.

Also, some of the older smartphones don't

have wifi capability.

It would be a pretty old smartphone. They've all had that for

many years now. And so what? We shouldn't offer alternate

solutions because she might have an old smarthphone?

Well, since the smartphone is just used to start the video then
using

your cellular connection should be just fine, right?

No because the smartphone needs to be communicating with the
Chromecast device on your local wifi network. Cellular data
connection has no relevance.

Gotcha. I didn't know exactly how it worked but you have cleared that up.

Also, my brother was supposed to mail (he lives in another state) his
Chromecast to me but never did. So I guess it is sitting in a junk
drawer.