Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, We Had 5-8 Inches Of Rain Last Night

On 4/9/2014 9:52 AM, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 19:52:23 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/8/2014 7:07 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 13:29:15 -0500, wrote:

On 4/8/2014 11:27 AM, dpb wrote: ...

I expect in another 20 or 30 we'll discover this has all
gone the way of the "nuclear winter" of the late 50s and
60s.

Meanwhile, a generation or two will have made their livings
doing their work and some useful data will have been collected
and some general advances in understanding global climatology
will undoubtedly be of some longterm benefit. But, for the
most part, it'll just turn out to have been an academic
exercise of no real import.
What avoided the "nuclear winter" was an avoidance of nuclear
conflict.

What will be the cause of "climate change" going the way of
"Nuclear Winter"??

That there likely really isn't any outside of general variation? If
you look over a longer period of time (like 10s of K years instead
less than a lifetime) it's pretty clear we've been in a remarkably
and unusually quiescent stage for quite a while...maybe it's time
for a change; maybe it isn't.

Isn't it amazing that the guys who study climate aren't aware that
this is just normal variation? You'd think that they might actually
know what the normal variation would be. I think they do.

There are lies, damn lies, statistics then there is climate change junk
science. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per dgk:
Isn't it amazing that the guys who study climate aren't aware that
this is just normal variation? You'd think that they might actually
know what the normal variation would be. I think they do.

I don't know squat about climate science, but I get the impression that
Antarctic ice core samples contain actual air from periods hundreds of
thousands of years ago up to relatively recently - and that these
samples tell what the CO2 concentrations were at those times. Kind of
like growth rings on a tree tell a story of the tree's life.

What the normal variation is, I have no clue.... but I would think that
somebody qualified to interpret the data would know. But I do keep
hearing that recent numbers are way, way out of line with anything seen
before.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

ePer The Daring Dufas:
Could you post some names and contact information so I can communicate
with them about it? Perhaps a website or forum? o_O

Would those guys even have IP connectivity?

Maybe you could glean some contact info by drilling down from
http://www.businessinsider.com/kirib...-change-2012-3
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2014 9:09 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per dgk:
Isn't it amazing that the guys who study climate aren't aware that
this is just normal variation? You'd think that they might actually
know what the normal variation would be. I think they do.

I don't know squat about climate science, but I get the impression that
Antarctic ice core samples contain actual air from periods hundreds of
thousands of years ago up to relatively recently - and that these
samples tell what the CO2 concentrations were at those times. Kind of
like growth rings on a tree tell a story of the tree's life.

What the normal variation is, I have no clue.... but I would think that
somebody qualified to interpret the data would know. But I do keep
hearing that recent numbers are way, way out of line with anything seen
before.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...58592895_n.jpg

A good friend of mine posted this on Facebook today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 15:25:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Nothing.

Do you speak English in the Islamic Republic of Iran?

I keel you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per gonjah:
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...58592895_n.jpg

That brings to mind a recurrent thought that I have: how ironic it is
that global warming denial is on the so-called conservative turf.

I self-identify as a hard-core conservative - but maybe I have a
semantics problem. Spending money we don't have? Hardly even open to
debate. OK, if the car needs a transmission to get me to work or I'll
lose my job: borrow the money. But if the furnace is broken in
winter... drain the pipes and learn to live in the cold until I can
scrape up the money.... period.

In my mind, conservatives have insurance on their homes. Even though
the probability of a fire in a given house is vanishingly small, anybody
with half a brain who cannot afford to lose their home has insurance.

The opposite of conservative is the guy who says "What the hell...it
probably won't happen so I'll spend the money on beer instead."

But here we have a global catastrophe unfolding and the so-called
conservatives say "Well, it isn't a slam dunk.... after all, the Koche
brothers and Exxon have trotted out at least seven guys with degrees in
climatology who disagree with the other 1,200... so we'll spend the
money on beer instead."

I do not see that as a conservative thought process.

In my mind, a conservative thought process would be something like
"Geeze, this is actually happening, the end-game is catastrophic, and
there is a chance we can mitigate it... so let's try to mitigate it -
even if there's a chance we could have spent the money on beer instead
and not gotten burned.".

Personally, I don't think anything significant is going to be done. The
Tragedy Of The Commons and all that. Maybe some technological black
swan will come forth... but I wouldn't bet on it.

It really ****es me off that I can't live another hundred years and see
how all this plays out.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2014 7:44 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
It really ****es me off that I can't live another hundred years and see
how all this plays out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkueGekd2jA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:44:56 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

It really ****es me off that I can't live another hundred years and see
how all this plays out.

Why?

Senior Member

[quote=(PeteCresswell)
Personally, I don't think anything significant is going to be done. The
Tragedy Of The Commons and all that. Maybe some technological black
swan will come forth... but I wouldn't bet on it.
Pete Cresswell[/QUOTE]

The Tragedy of the Commons is exactly it.

But, the one thing that you can count on is that the future is unpredictable.

When I was 10 years old, the big concerns were air pollution and over population. At that time, CO2 wasn't considered a pollutant. Now, we're more concerned about CO2 than were are about REAL air pollutants. You know, the chemicals we put in the air with names as long as a shoe lace.

When I was 16 years old, I was concerned that the world was going to run out of oil before I got my driver's licence. Now, we've got more forms of fossil fuels than we knew we had. There's oil in North Dakota, and there's shale gas all over the USA, and there's more tar sand oil in Saskatchewan and Alberta than you can shake a stick at. And, we're finding more and more offshore oil deposits as we better learn how to look for oil underwater.

And, we've somehow completely lost interest in over population.

Whatever the big concern is today, it'll be sure to change by tomorrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 4/9/2014 7:25 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[quoted text muted]
TDD

Something smells about this post...

There is at least one arrogant P.L.L.C.F. net cop who has written that
all my posts stink. ^_^

TDD

Some of the posters have odoriferous qualities, that's for sure.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 4/7/2014 4:10 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per The Daring Dufas:
I've witnessed "Climate Change" for more than 6 decades and I've
seen that it evens out and we wind up with an average climate over
a number of years.

Talk to the Pacific Islanders who have had to move to higher islands
or the mainland.

Could you post some names and contact information so I can communicate
with them about it? Perhaps a website or forum? o_O

TDD

How about a toll free number?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2014 7:36 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 4/9/2014 7:25 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[quoted text muted]
TDD

Something smells about this post...

There is at least one arrogant P.L.L.C.F. net cop who has written that
all my posts stink. ^_^

TDD

Some of the posters have odoriferous qualities, that's for sure.

Yea, I must hold my nose when I read anything they post. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On 4/8/2014 11:27 AM, dpb wrote: ...

[...]

97% of climate scientists believe that the world is getting warmer and
that human actions are mostly to blame. I'll believe them over you in
this instance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/8/2014 11:27 AM, dpb wrote: ...

[...]

WTF is a "Climate Scientist" and who determines just whom is? Of course
your claim could use a little backup from an unbiased source. Hell, I
could claim to be a "Climate Scientist" too. I remember reading
something interesting some time ago (no I don't have a link) from a
Russian scientist who claims that the temperature of Mars is rising at
the same rate as the temperature of Earth. Of course, it must be due to
all those SUV's and coal fired power plants on Mars that mankind has
built over the years. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 7, 2014 8:20:32 AM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:
The rain was hammering the house all last night and now many areas are

flooded with some roads closed. As luck would have it, we've had a new

roof put on the house in the last few years and got some help to tar

around the chimney and plumbing stack in the bathroom in the last few

months. I looked for leaks in the ceiling but didn't find any. Here on

the mountain I'm sure we were on the high end of the rainfall. Not only

did it rain but the temperature was in the low 50's F. Darn that Global

Warming! o_O

This was a huge storm cutting across a number of states and I wonder

what some of the posters experienced over the past 24 hours with the

monster rain? ^_^

TDD

You ****ed with the wrong guy. I demand the kryptonite out of my back. Couple more inches we'll get this goddamned ark off the reef.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:55:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

97% of climate scientists believe that the world is getting warmer
and that human actions are mostly to blame. I'll believe them over
you in this instance.

WTF is a "Climate Scientist" and who determines just whom is? Of course
your claim could use a little backup from an unbiased source. Hell, I
could claim to be a "Climate Scientist" too. I remember reading
something interesting some time ago (no I don't have a link) from a
Russian scientist who claims that the temperature of Mars is rising at
the same rate as the temperature of Earth. Of course, it must be due to
all those SUV's and coal fired power plants on Mars that mankind has
built over the years. ^_^

TDD

Invasion of the giant oysters?

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 4/8/2014 11:27 AM, dpb wrote: ...

[...]

That's too bad. I say don't f with Mother Nature.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

97% of climate scientists believe that the world is getting warmer
and that human actions are mostly to blame. I'll believe them over
you in this instance.

WTF is a "Climate Scientist" and who determines just whom is? Of course
your claim could use a little backup from an unbiased source. Hell, I
could claim to be a "Climate Scientist" too. I remember reading
something interesting some time ago (no I don't have a link) from a
Russian scientist who claims that the temperature of Mars is rising at
the same rate as the temperature of Earth. Of course, it must be due to
all those SUV's and coal fired power plants on Mars that mankind has
built over the years. ^_^

TDD

Invasion of the giant oysters?

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

Tasty? Usually the bigger ones are tough to chew.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Digger Nick posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

Paging Russell Crowe, put down your guitar, help needed on the reef.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 19:45:45 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

97% of climate scientists believe that the world is getting warmer
and that human actions are mostly to blame. I'll believe them over
you in this instance.

WTF is a "Climate Scientist" and who determines just whom is? Of course
your claim could use a little backup from an unbiased source. Hell, I
could claim to be a "Climate Scientist" too. I remember reading
something interesting some time ago (no I don't have a link) from a
Russian scientist who claims that the temperature of Mars is rising at
the same rate as the temperature of Earth. Of course, it must be due to
all those SUV's and coal fired power plants on Mars that mankind has
built over the years. ^_^

TDD

Invasion of the giant oysters?

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

Tasty? Usually the bigger ones are tough to chew.

Guy walks into a bar. Sign offers cash to swallow and hold down the
large shucked oyster in the jar. He takes the chance, asked for his
cash reward. Bar tender offers his congratulations, you are the forth
person today that swallowed that oyster He lost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 19:45:45 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

[...]

He got shucked!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

97% of climate scientists believe that the world is getting
warmer and that human actions are mostly to blame. I'll believe
them over you in this instance.

WTF is a "Climate Scientist" and who determines just whom is? Of
course your claim could use a little backup from an unbiased
source. Hell, I could claim to be a "Climate Scientist" too. I
remember reading something interesting some time ago (no I don't
have a link) from a Russian scientist who claims that the
temperature of Mars is rising at the same rate as the temperature
of Earth. Of course, it must be due to all those SUV's and coal
fired power plants on Mars that mankind has built over the years.
^_^

TDD

Invasion of the giant oysters?

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

Was there a listing for cow farts from the Arizona Desert? o_O

Ya know, hot air from Washington D.C. along with the toxic greenhouse
gasses released by piles of male bovine droppings produced in that city
at a prodigious rate could be one of the most pernicious causes of
Global Warming. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2014 8:48 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 19:45:45 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

[...]

Ah shucks! ^_^

TDD

Rain, rain go away. Water in basement cln Home Repair 9 December 16th 11 04:59 PM
What's just over 19 inches? Christopher Nelson Home Repair 17 March 1st 09 10:34 PM
3 inches VS. 4 inches wide Hardwood Flooring [email protected] Woodworking 5 October 14th 06 04:26 AM
16 inches Sasha_Klamp UK diy 4 July 9th 05 12:52 AM
Inches or Metric? James Hart UK diy 54 July 25th 03 10:13 PM