Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stormin Mormon saved me a lot of money on OIL

I go another oil delivery yesterday. I've been tracking my oil use
and the degree days for a few years. But let me back up a bit.

A few years ago, I was doing some research on a new oil fired boiler
for both heating and hot water. One of the suggestions was from Chris
Young, the Stormin Mormon at hangs out here. He suggested I look into
the System 2000 by Energy Kinetics. I did and I bought it.

The literature on their web site says you can save up to 40% over the
old style boiler like I had. Doubtful, I figured if I save even 20%
it would be a good deal. I had the system installed and started doing
the comparisons. My real savings was 39.2% the first season. My oil
supplier verified it and so did Energy Kinetics.

This morning I put the last two deliveries into my spreadsheet, I got
the degree days from www.degreedays.net and did the calculations. So
far this heating season, my savings as compared to my old (30 years)
boiler is $907.00. I'm happy with that.

The system is paid for itself in a few years with oil cost savings. At
the time of purchase, I was able to get a state energy rebate, Federal
tax credit and state financing at 0% interest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 8:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I do thank you for the kind words. However,
I totally don't remember mention any such thing.
Perhaps Goggle Gripes or some other archive
might find the real person who needs the kind
praise? My friend, I don't think I am deserving
of that praise.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2014 09:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The system is paid for itself in a few years with oil cost savings. At
the time of purchase, I was able to get a state energy rebate, Federal
tax credit and state financing at 0% interest.

I do thank you for the kind words. However,
I totally don't remember mention any such thing.
Perhaps Goggle Gripes or some other archive
might find the real person who needs the kind
praise? My friend, I don't think I am deserving
of that praise.

I decided to save energy by getting the 115 year old windows replaced on
my house last year.

Very hard to see what good that did as the average temp this year is 10-
15 degrees colder than last year. My energy bill is higher...but I
suppose it would have been even worse otherwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 7:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Ed, that is so cool, err..... warm. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 8:51:49 AM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Yes, good to hear. I should add up and analyze my data too to
get an accurate comparison. But I had a 25 year old nat gas furnace
and replaced it with a 93% two stage one back in 2010. There
was a huge drop in my gas bills, at least 40%, maybe even cut
in half. Electric bills for summer have been cut substantially too.
NJ climate here. I'd guess that together I could be saving ~$800
a year. And that's with what I'd say is conservative usage, ie
I keep it low as possible in winter and use the AC sparingly in
summer. If you like the house 74F in winter and summer constantly,
you'd save even more.

I think anyone that's planning on staying in their house for at
least a few years that has an old system should seriously think
about replacing it, provided the current climate/energy usage
justifies it. Even if you move the next year, I'd think you'd
probably come out ahead, as buyers will find a house with a new
efficient system worth paying more for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2014 8:16 AM, philo wrote:
I decided to save energy by getting the 115 year old windows replaced on
my house last year.

Very hard to see what good that did as the average temp this year is 10-
15 degrees colder than last year. My energy bill is higher...but I
suppose it would have been even worse otherwise.

Well, I guess I can take credit for that.
(wink, wink....)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 7:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The system is paid for itself in a few years with oil cost savings.
At the time of purchase, I was able to get a state energy rebate,
Federal tax credit and state financing at 0% interest.

Ed, that is so cool, err..... warm. ^_^

TDD

click, click, whoof. Flame war starts up.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

It warmed the Hartles of my Cock...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

n Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:03:18 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I go another oil delivery yesterday. I've been tracking my oil use
and the degree days for a few years. But let me back up a bit.

Uh Oh,,,,,, The next thing you know, you'll be spewing words from the
Mormon bible on alt.home.repair.
And with all the oil you saved, you can lubricate Jesus.

Learn about lubricating Jesus
www.lubejesus.org