Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mobile home / trailer shift season?

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:e4sSu.1520$sp2.386
@fx11.iad:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

The ground will probably shift back when fully thawed. Then it'll be really
f'd up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:51:59 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

A lot easier to just adjust one of the corner jacks on the trailer.
Planing the door down makes gaps to let the cold in to freeze your
pipes, or to let critters in. ( that IS one advantage of a trailer. It
is easy to level and relevel when the frost heaves and settles -
unlike a REAL house
Posted to alt.home.repair

:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

The ground will probably shift back when fully thawed. Then it'll be really
f'd up.

Then Duct Tape will help seal the door.
--
Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:38:13 -0500, wrote:

A lot easier to just adjust one of the corner jacks on the trailer.

....using cedar shims

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 7, 2014 5:51:59 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the

main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind

a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only

barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob

lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

--

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

Stick a jack under your ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the

main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind

a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only

barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob

lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

A lot easier to just adjust one of the corner jacks on the trailer.

Planing the door down makes gaps to let the cold in to freeze your

pipes, or to let critters in. ( that IS one advantage of a trailer. It

is easy to level and relevel when the frost heaves and settles -

unlike a REAL house

He put his trailer on a hillside and has a porch under the northside where his garbage shoot is. During the rain season the floods take the old appliances away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:e4sSu.1520$sp2.386
:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

The ground will probably shift back when fully thawed. Then it'll be really
f'd up.

Then Duct Tape will help seal the door.

Then he can't get in or out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2014 7:12 PM, Red Green wrote:
Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

The ground will probably shift back when
fully thawed. Then it'll be really
f'd up.

That's pretty much what I figure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:19:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

For whatever reason, no screw jacks under this one.
Stacks of cinder blocks, and wood shim. Set up that
way when I moved in.

Never recall cinder blocks being used. Use of pre cast solid piers,
cedar shims, etc...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/11/1166a042-5d4f-4749-aca3-a32224a29d2c_400.jpg

I'd think the blocks would shift easier with frost freeze cycles?
--
Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 2:03 PM, Oren wrote:

Never recall cinder blocks being used. Use of pre cast solid piers,
cedar shims, etc...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/11/1166a042-5d4f-4749-aca3-a32224a29d2c_400.jpg

I'd think the blocks would shift easier with frost freeze cycles?

Not below frost line, for sure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 14:24:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/8/2014 2:03 PM, Oren wrote:

Never recall cinder blocks being used. Use of pre cast solid piers,
cedar shims, etc...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/11/1166a042-5d4f-4749-aca3-a32224a29d2c_400.jpg

I'd think the blocks would shift easier with frost freeze cycles?

Not below frost line, for sure.

Are those blocks poured solid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:e4sSu.1520$sp2.386
:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

The ground will probably shift back when fully thawed. Then it'll be really
f'd up.

I use special striker plates on mobile homes and any other out-buildings
that may shift, such as garages, barns, sheds. The bigger hardware
stores have them. Instead of those cheap striker plates that come with
locks, which only allow 1/16" of movement, I buy striker plates that are
about 4" long, and have an elongated hole, which allows about 1/2" above
and 1/2" below. The doors always latch. They only cost about $5 or $6.
You probably wasted at least $6 worth of heat adjusting and re-adjusting
yours, not to mention the irritation factor.