Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Caulking-Gunn@work.com is offline

Default Mobile home / trailer shift season?

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 00:12:57 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:e4sSu.1520$sp2.386
:

Today (March 07, 2014) came home, and opened the
main entry door. Would not close. I had to grind
a lot of wood off the top jamb, and it's only
barely back to abnormal. Had to move the knob
lock strike about 1/4 inch.

Might be spring time? Global warming?

Well, at least I can close the door.

The ground will probably shift back when fully thawed. Then it'll be really
f'd up.

I use special striker plates on mobile homes and any other out-buildings
that may shift, such as garages, barns, sheds. The bigger hardware
stores have them. Instead of those cheap striker plates that come with
locks, which only allow 1/16" of movement, I buy striker plates that are
about 4" long, and have an elongated hole, which allows about 1/2" above
and 1/2" below. The doors always latch. They only cost about $5 or $6.
You probably wasted at least $6 worth of heat adjusting and re-adjusting
yours, not to mention the irritation factor.