Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Downspout draining to sump pump?

Hello all, I have noticed that a few of my neighbors have configured
their gutter downspouts to drain into a sump pump reservoir,
occasionally drained by a sump pump. While that sounds like a neat way
to "fix" a clogged/rooted downspout drain, I cannot help but think that
this is a bad idea due to either the inevitable failure of the pump, a
power outage, a tripped breaker, or anything else that would render the
pump inactive.

In such a case the downspouts would overfill the sump basin, typically
located near the foundation, and flood the crawlspace/erode the dirt
underneath the foundation.

What say you? Ever seen this type of method before?

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 7:33 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello all, I have noticed that a few of my neighbors have configured
their gutter downspouts to drain into a sump pump reservoir,
occasionally drained by a sump pump. While that sounds like a neat way
to "fix" a clogged/rooted downspout drain, I cannot help but think that
this is a bad idea due to either the inevitable failure of the pump, a
power outage, a tripped breaker, or anything else that would render the
pump inactive.

In such a case the downspouts would overfill the sump basin, typically
located near the foundation, and flood the crawlspace/erode the dirt
underneath the foundation.

What say you? Ever seen this type of method before?

Jon

If the water is starting up high like eaves troughs,
I'd skip the sump crock and find a way to route the
water into the drain. Drain water to pump it back
up? Not me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:33:01 PM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello all, I have noticed that a few of my neighbors have configured

their gutter downspouts to drain into a sump pump reservoir,

occasionally drained by a sump pump. While that sounds like a neat way

to "fix" a clogged/rooted downspout drain, I cannot help but think that

this is a bad idea due to either the inevitable failure of the pump, a

power outage, a tripped breaker, or anything else that would render the

pump inactive.

In such a case the downspouts would overfill the sump basin, typically

located near the foundation, and flood the crawlspace/erode the dirt

underneath the foundation.

What say you? Ever seen this type of method before?

Jon

It's definitely not the preferred method of dealing with rain water.
Using grading to take it away or a drain to a lower spot is
the preferred way. But, sometimes if it's been done incorrectly to
begin with and it's major pain or impossible to fix any other way,
then yes, I've seen sump pits together with a sump pump used to move
water outside a house. The problems are what happens in winter if
freezing is an issue, what happens during power loss, etc. In the
cases I've seen it done, it was used to drain water that pooled in
an area and if the pump didn't work, it would not lead to a serious
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 6:33 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello all, I have noticed that a few of my neighbors have configured
their gutter downspouts to drain into a sump pump reservoir,
occasionally drained by a sump pump. While that sounds like a neat way
to "fix" a clogged/rooted downspout drain, I cannot help but think that
this is a bad idea due to either the inevitable failure of the pump, a
power outage, a tripped breaker, or anything else that would render the
pump inactive.

In such a case the downspouts would overfill the sump basin, typically
located near the foundation, and flood the crawlspace/erode the dirt
underneath the foundation.

What say you? Ever seen this type of method before?

Jon

Gravity drainage to daylight is always ideal. This is often impossible.
Please advise all the rest of us as soon as you come up with a better
solution. Subsurface problems drained to a sump, French drain (named
after a man named French), or dry well are NOT ideal. bit they work when
ideal conditons are not available. Please keep us advised on your minor
miracle cure.

Battery powered pumps, redundant back-up systems, alternative energy
cures have all been tried with varying rates of success. Again, pleas
keep us advised.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G