Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Downspout draining to sump pump?

On 3/5/2014 6:33 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello all, I have noticed that a few of my neighbors have configured
their gutter downspouts to drain into a sump pump reservoir,
occasionally drained by a sump pump. While that sounds like a neat way
to "fix" a clogged/rooted downspout drain, I cannot help but think that
this is a bad idea due to either the inevitable failure of the pump, a
power outage, a tripped breaker, or anything else that would render the
pump inactive.

In such a case the downspouts would overfill the sump basin, typically
located near the foundation, and flood the crawlspace/erode the dirt
underneath the foundation.

What say you? Ever seen this type of method before?

Jon

Gravity drainage to daylight is always ideal. This is often impossible.
Please advise all the rest of us as soon as you come up with a better
solution. Subsurface problems drained to a sump, French drain (named
after a man named French), or dry well are NOT ideal. bit they work when
ideal conditons are not available. Please keep us advised on your minor
miracle cure.

Battery powered pumps, redundant back-up systems, alternative energy
cures have all been tried with varying rates of success. Again, pleas
keep us advised.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G