Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL lights flicker when turned off

In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker faintly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2014 03:56 PM, Todd wrote:
On

snip

If you don't, throw the breaker and see if it goes out.
If it doesn't, you have a short somewhere, probably
your light switch.

HTH,
-T

If the light still flickers with the breaker off, he;s discovered some
new type of energy
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Monday, February 10, 2014 5:00:16 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 02/10/2014 03:56 PM, Todd wrote:

On

snip

If you don't, throw the breaker and see if it goes out.

If it doesn't, you have a short somewhere, probably

your light switch.

HTH,

-T

If the light still flickers with the breaker off, he;s discovered some

new type of energy

Assuming that he's moved the Tesla coil and Van de Graaf generator out of the bathroom...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2014 06:16 PM, N8N wrote:
OnX

If the light still flickers with the breaker off, he;s discovered some

new type of energy

Assuming that he's moved the Tesla coil and Van de Graaf generator out of the bathroom...

nate

That reminds me of something.

I bought my house from a "fixit" guy who was so bad he made me look like
an expert.

The very /first/ thing I did upon moving in...was to remove the light
switch that was located in the shower!

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Monday, February 10, 2014 5:00:16 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 02/10/2014 03:56 PM, Todd wrote:

On

snip

If you don't, throw the breaker and see if it goes out.

If it doesn't, you have a short somewhere, probably

your light switch.

HTH,

-T

If the light still flickers with the breaker off, he;s discovered some

new type of energy

Assuming that he's moved the Tesla coil and Van de Graaf generator out of the bathroom...

nate

That is truly shocking and raises the hair on my head.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2014 07:35 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

That is truly shocking and raises the hair on my head.

The guy had a waterproof cover on it designed for an outlet...it closed
about 3/4ths of the way...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:47:23 -0800 (PST), Senin
wrote:

In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker faintly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off.

Any ideas?

What kind of switch are you using?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 10, 2014 3:47:23 PM UTC-6, Senin wrote:
In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker faintly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off. Any ideas?

Any type of a switch that does not mechanically break the circuit can lead to flickering cfls. Also, capacitive coupling between the two conductors of the cable leading to a switch that is located some distance from the rest of the circuit can cause flickering, even if the switch at the end of the cable does mechanically break the circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:56:08 -0800, Todd wrote:

Hi Senin,

Do you have a lighted switch on the circuit?

A lighted switch has a neon bulb that goes across
the switch and lights when the switch in in the off
position. The neon bulb uses the load on the circuit
to complete itself. If you are using a CFL bulb,
sometimes the trickle of current will cause what you
describe.

I have one doing the same thing. Doesn't hurt anything.
It is in the kitchen. Don't pay any attention to it
anymore.

If you don't, throw the breaker and see if it goes out.
If it doesn't, you have a short somewhere, probably
your light switch.

HTH,
-T

I'm also wondering if there might be a corroded neutral connection, and
some leakage is coming in from the other leg of the power line. I've
seen this sort of thing happen with incandescant bulbs, where the
leakage caused bulbs to be real dim, while the lights on the other leg
were overly bright. I'd think this would be similar, but I've never
seen it happen with CFLs.

I'd unscrew one of the CFLs and put one of those screw in outlets in the
socket, then put a multimeter across it and read the voltage. This
could also be read at the switch on the LOAD side of the switch (wire
going to the lights). Measure it to both neutral and ground. It should
be ZERO both ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Senin" wrote in message
In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I
flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker
faintly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker
still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go
completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off.

Any ideas?
--
Yes! Go stock up on incandescent bulbs before
they are all gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker faintly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off.

Any ideas?

I just hit that same problem with a hall light, but I also have two
other fixtures that flicker or fail to work with CFLs. If I use
incandescents the fixtures work ok so I just bought a pack of 16 60
watt incandescents from Home Depot for something like $4. I do prefer
the CFLs but I need to use the others in those fixtures. I really
should have an electrician in to take a look. It's a 70 year old
house.

On a similar note, I didn't think the CFLs lasted as long as claimed,
and one just stopped working in a ceiling fan. So I took it out,and I
had written the date and supposed lifetime on it when I put it in. It
was supposed to last for five years, and the date I installed it was
12/1/2002. It lasted 13 years. And they weren't even meant for ceiling
fan use, which tends to have a lot more vibration. I didn't think CFLs
had even been around that long but clearly they have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

The very /first/ thing I did upon moving in...was to remove the light
switch that was located in the shower!

Didn't that control the portable heater in the tub?

--
Tekkie