Posted to alt.home.repair
corinn

Default lights flicker when disposal is run

hope this might be some top-10 FAQ item

when the garbage disposal is run in my kitchen, it flickers the lights on the other
side of the house, in a bathroom (just a single 60w bulb)

the disposal circuit (15amp) is not the same circuit as the bathroom (15amp) so what
might be happening here? the bulb does not burn out or wear out any faster (usually
lasts for couple years of continuous use)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

corinn wrote:
hope this might be some top-10 FAQ item

when the garbage disposal is run in my kitchen, it flickers the
lights on the other side of the house, in a bathroom (just a single
60w bulb)
the disposal circuit (15amp) is not the same circuit as the bathroom
(15amp) so what might be happening here? the bulb does not burn out
or wear out any faster (usually lasts for couple years of continuous
use)

First I would double check that same circuit issue.

Next I would suggest there may be a shared neutral with a bad
connection. Make sure all the neutral in the box are tight as a start.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The strangest thing about your situation is that it affects only one light.
There is no way that the one bathroom light is on a circuit by itself. I'd
first determine everything else that's on that circuit, then try a lamp on
that circuit to see if it flickers as well. Ultimately you're looking for a
loose connection. If an entire circuit is involved, the problem would likely
be in the panel. If only a few outlets of the circuit are involved the
problem would be more localized