Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY showerhead flow restrictor

I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/14 10:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to
Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower,
but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search
show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-.../dp/B009XVDPBS

/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1391704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-

Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I
could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

Would an electrical knockout plug work? You'd probably have to
trim it but that wouldn't be too difficult. Another thought would be
to use a nickel or quarter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/14, 11:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

How about a nylon washer ??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...7518/202210267
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 2/6/14 10:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to
Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower,
but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search
show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-.../dp/B009XVDPBS

/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1391704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-

Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I
could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

Would an electrical knockout plug work? You'd probably have to
trim it but that wouldn't be too difficult. Another thought would be
to use a nickel or quarter.

I've got very hard water. Metal fixtures have minerals build up really
fast. Maybe there is a rubber end cap seal that would be the right size.
Second link looks like a spare button from my sewing kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

How about a nylon washer ??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...7518/202210267

Looks close. But that's a big orifice. Maybe 10 gpm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stumpy" wrote in message
m...
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to
Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but
use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show
ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

Cut one from a pop bottle cap and give it a try...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick" wrote in message

"Stumpy" wrote in message
m...
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to
Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but
use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show
ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

Cut one from a pop bottle cap and give it a try...

Or a CPVC plug...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/14, 12:40 PM, Stumpy wrote:

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

How about a nylon washer ??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...7518/202210267

Looks close. But that's a big orifice. Maybe 10 gpm.

OK, just as well, that 1/2" was the hole size anyway !!!!

Maybe this one from Lowes ?? It's given as 1/2" OD and 1/4" ID

http://www.lowes.com/pd_423457-37672...her&facetInfo=

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a nylon washer ??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...7518/202210267

Looks close. But that's a big orifice. Maybe 10 gpm.

OK, just as well, that 1/2" was the hole size anyway !!!!

Maybe this one from Lowes ?? It's given as 1/2" OD and 1/4" ID

http://www.lowes.com/pd_423457-37672...her&facetInfo=

I know I'm using a poor citation, but looks like I want .093" hole at
60psi.

http://www.thomasnet.com/productsear...-float-valves/

I've dialed back the house supply to 55psi so I would drill smaller than
3/32"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick" wrote in message

Cut one from a pop bottle cap and give it a try...

Or a CPVC plug...

I found a W-11 Caplug in my junk box. Cut out inside dimension "C" and
trimmed with an Exacto to 11/16". Looks good - I'll see what complaints I
hear tomorrow.

http://www.caplugs.com/productdetail...temno=W+SERIES

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2014 12:07 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Would an electrical knockout plug work? You'd probably have to
trim it but that wouldn't be too difficult. Another thought would be
to use a nickel or quarter.

Knockout plug will likely rust (being steel based).
Coins less likely to rust.

Hey, I've got a sink where I fill my bucket for
washing the truck. If I put in a low flow aerator
on my sink, will I save a lot of water?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stumpy" wrote in message
m...

I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-Gpm

Go to Ace or another hardware and look through the rubber faucet washers.
They are about 1/2 inch diameter and check the hole sizes. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stumpy" wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

You and I are pretty much opposites. I remove the flow restrictors from my
shower heads.

If I could heat the water from a hydrant, I'd shower with a fire hose.

To each...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2014 4:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Stumpy" wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

Sounds like you have the description.

Use a hole punch to punch out a disc the right diameter.
Then use another hole punch to put a hole of the desired
size in that.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy[_2_] View Post
Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.
No, what you want to do won't work.

You will reduce the flow through the shower head, but unless you do something about the size and number of spray holes in the shower head itself, then the flow rate out of each hole won't be sufficient to create a "spray". Instead, you will turn your shower head into one that merely "spills" water on you at 1.5 gallons per minute.

In order to get satisfactory shower performance at low flow rates, the shower head itself has to be designed with fewer and/or smaller holes so that the flow rate through each hole is high enough to create a spray. Without doing that, you'll only be spending time and money creating aggrivations.

This company makes and sells excellent low flow shower heads:

High Efficiency Toilets, Low Flow Showerheads, High Efficiency Aerator

Water Saving Shower Heads | Water Efficient, Low Flow Shower Heads

The N2150-TP is a low flow shower head that comes with a thin wrench which prevents anyone tampering with the shower flow rate setting, which you might find appealing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
"Stumpy" wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to
Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

You and I are pretty much opposites. I remove the flow restrictors from my
shower heads.

If I could heat the water from a hydrant, I'd shower with a fire hose.

To each...

Well, I didn't change the flow on the one I use. We have 3 users these
days, 75 gal water heater. I have to turn the heat up high so that when
diluted down to a comfortable temperature, it can supply 3 showers. User 1
takes a couple minute shower. User 2 takes a long, long shower. User 3
sometimes runs out of hot water. Tomorrow user 2, which is not me, will use
~1/2 his normal water volume and if wifey doesn't run out when it's her
turn, then I can lower the setpoint. My personal routine will not change.

I'm trying to follow in LdB's footsteps from that earlier thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/6/2014 8:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control
Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the
same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous
prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

That was a thread that I started.

You should be able to find something in the sprinkler head section of a
hardware store.

Personally I think that those flow restrictors are counter-productive
because it just takes longer to have a complete shower and water usage
isn't going to be appreciably reduced.

The hot-water reduction system trains the user to take faster showers
but doesn't make it an annoying experience by lowering the water pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

'Stumpy[_2_ Wrote:
;3194002']
[...]

(http://www.niagaraconservation.com/)

'Water Saving Shower Heads | Water Efficient, Low Flow Shower Heads'
(http://tinyurl.com/msed3p3)

The N2150-TP is a low flow shower head that comes with a thin wrench
which prevents anyone tampering with the shower flow rate setting, which
you might find appealing.

--
nestork

Interestingly the model I have and want to continue to use after
modification is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Massage-...cm_wl_huc_item

It must have a molded plastic chamber behind the spray holes because it
never clogs with minerals like the metal ones do. Visually it still has a
nice spray after reducing the flow rate. I'm not saying a thing - I wonder
if I even hear a comment tomorrow at breakfast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:42:38 AM UTC-6, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it. http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much. http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

We're all waiting to hear the results!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:42:38 AM UTC-6, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to
Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but
use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show
ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.
http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors
Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

We're all waiting to hear the results!!!!

---------------

Oh well, It was noticed right away. I just mumbled something about water
pressure, drought, utility bills, etc. but the restrictor is staying in
place. Phase 2 of lowering the temperature will start this weekend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:42:38 AM UTC-5, Stumpy wrote:
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control

Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the

same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous

prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Shower-...ators-Adaptors

Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could

drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Steph...rictor-2-5-GPM

There is something called silicone tape. just do a sloppy job and cover the ends just a little too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2014 10:26 AM, Stumpy wrote:

Oh well, It was noticed right away. I just mumbled something about water
pressure, drought, utility bills, etc. but the restrictor is staying in
place. Phase 2 of lowering the temperature will start this weekend.

Be interesting to see if your actions result
in lower fuel and water bills. Please let us
know what results.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought the suggestion to plug some of the spray head holes while keeping the pressure up was a novel idea, the user would still feel the spray force, but there would be some water saved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

If I could heat the water from a hydrant, I'd shower with a fire hose.

Start a riot, especially in a foreign country. It will be a blast!
Or join the Fire Dept. You can play with A LOT of water.

--
Tekkie

Flow restrictor? Richard Tobin UK diy 30 February 23rd 14 03:19 PM
Where to buy some water flow restrictor disks ? Brcobrem Home Ownership 3 July 17th 12 09:39 PM
hot water flow restrictor a good idea? Mike UK diy 4 December 14th 08 11:44 AM
shower flow restrictor petek UK diy 10 January 17th 08 03:34 PM
pressure reducer / flow restrictor - difference ? [email protected] UK diy 2 June 21st 05 05:29 PM