Posted to alt.home.repair
Stumpy[_3_] Stumpy[_3_] is offline

Default DIY showerhead flow restrictor

"nestork" wrote in message

'Stumpy[_2_ Wrote:
;3194002']
Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I
could
drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.

No, what you want to do won't work.

You will reduce the flow through the shower head, but unless you do
something about the size and number of spray holes in the shower head
itself, then the flow rate out of each hole won't be sufficient to
create a "spray". Instead, you will turn your shower head into one that
merely "spills" water on you at 1.5 gallons per minute.

In order to get satisfactory shower performance at low flow rates, the
shower head itself has to be designed with fewer and/or smaller holes so
that the flow rate through each hole is high enough to create a spray.
Without doing that, you'll only be spending time and money creating
aggrivations.

This company makes and sells excellent low flow shower heads:

'High Efficiency Toilets, Low Flow Showerheads, High Efficiency Aerator'
(http://www.niagaraconservation.com/)

'Water Saving Shower Heads | Water Efficient, Low Flow Shower Heads'
(http://tinyurl.com/msed3p3)

The N2150-TP is a low flow shower head that comes with a thin wrench
which prevents anyone tampering with the shower flow rate setting, which
you might find appealing.

--
nestork

Interestingly the model I have and want to continue to use after
modification is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Massage-...cm_wl_huc_item

It must have a molded plastic chamber behind the spray holes because it
never clogs with minerals like the metal ones do. Visually it still has a
nice spray after reducing the flow rate. I'm not saying a thing - I wonder
if I even hear a comment tomorrow at breakfast.