Posted to alt.home.repair

Default boxed deicing salt - is there a tap

The building where I work recently began purchasing sidewalk deicing salt in boxes of 50 pounds. Inside the box the salt is contained in a light plastic bag. It appears to me that this setup is used for some kind of automation - a salt spreader of some kind.

I need to get the salt into small barrels and was wondering if there is a tap of some kind that can be used to "drain" it. Remember the old oil cans and the piercing spout driven into the can's top? Something like that. I've done the google thing and can find nothing. It would be nice if it had some way to stop the flow also. I never need 50 pounds.

Thanks

PS - This group used to be really nice - no spam. Is there an alternative moderated site that one can use? Especially the OT guy - seems lonely, posts all day....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:02:43 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 06:44:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The building where I work recently began purchasing sidewalk deicing salt in boxes of 50 pounds. Inside the box the salt is contained in a light plastic bag. It appears to me that this setup is used for some kind of automation - a salt spreader of some kind.

Maybe it's just a cheap lightweight container.

I need to get the salt into small barrels and was wondering if there is a tap of some kind that can be used to "drain" it. Remember the old oil cans and the piercing spout driven into the can's top?

Definitely.

Something like that. I've done the google thing and can find nothing. It would be nice if it had some way to stop the flow also. I never need 50 pounds.

Thanks

PS - This group used to be really nice - no spam. Is there an alternative moderated site that one can use? Especially the OT guy - seems lonely, posts all day....

Probably be better off just cutting the corner with a razor or
scissors. Never saw what you're looking for.

With a funnel if needed.

Years ago, I bought a big plastic bottle of de-icer, with a 4" screw-on
cap, not plain salt but something that works a a much lower
temperature.

When I went to use it this year, it was like one big sedimentary rock
inside. I used a big screwdriver and loosed up a lot of it, but I used
that. Then I tried an elecric drill with a spade bit, and that did well
and reached pretty far into the bottle. But then I diidn't go out for
2 hours and it was all stuck together again. Have to drill it into
small bits again, and figure out how much time I have to use it before
it gets hard again. =--- The bottom looks more like the top was, that
I can separate it with a screwdriver, or a jack handle, which is longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2014 08:44 AM, wrote:
The building where I work recently began purchasing sidewalk deicing salt in boxes of 50 pounds. Inside the box the salt is contained in a light plastic bag. It appears to me that this setup is used for some kind of automation - a salt spreader of some kind.

I need to get the salt into small barrels and was wondering if there is a tap of some kind that can be used to "drain" it. Remember the old oil cans and the piercing spout driven into the can's top? Something like that. I've done the google thing and can find nothing. It would be nice if it had some way to stop the flow also. I never need 50 pounds.

Thanks

PS - This group used to be really nice - no spam. Is there an alternative moderated site that one can use? Especially the OT guy - seems lonely, posts all day....

If you find the boxes too heavy to pick up and just pour out the salt as
needed all you have to do is cut a flap in the bottom with a jack knife.
If you do not use up all the 50#'s at one time, just lay the box on it's
back. There will be a small amount of spillage but if you are careful it
will be negligible.

BTW: I did a quick scan of the postings here and see there is no "one
person" who makes OT posts. I make plenty of them and they always seem
to have "OT" in the subject line so it's no big deal to scan past. No
need to insult anyone here who does so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 10:10 AM, micky wrote:
Years ago, I bought a big plastic bottle of de-icer, with a 4" screw-on
cap, not plain salt but something that works a a much lower
temperature.

When I went to use it this year, it was like one big sedimentary rock
inside. I used a big screwdriver and loosed up a lot of it, but I used
that. Then I tried an elecric drill with a spade bit, and that did well
and reached pretty far into the bottle. But then I diidn't go out for
2 hours and it was all stuck together again. Have to drill it into
small bits again, and figure out how much time I have to use it before
it gets hard again. =--- The bottom looks more like the top was, that
I can separate it with a screwdriver, or a jack handle, which is longer.

Sounds like the new calcium chloride stuff. Absorbs
water from the air, and makes a mess. If you leave
it long enough, it turns into liquid slush, then
solution in the bottle. Yikk.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

philoÂ* writes:

BTW: I did a quick scan of the postings here and see there is no "one
person" who makes OT posts. I make plenty of them and they always seem
to have "OT" in the subject line so it's no big deal to scan past. No
need to insult anyone here who does so.

Everyone else craps on the floor here,
so why don't I just leave this here.

Don't worry, mine has a sign on it so it doesn't smell.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:38:56 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

No, I've had that. It leaves a puddle of water in the bottom. This
isn't it. Was totally dry, at least no water could be seen.
Transparent bottle so none in the bottom either. .

I had a basement that smelled a bit. I bought 50 pounds of calcium
chloride. I put some decorative masonite vertically in a plastic
bucket. By decorative I mean a pattern was cut out of it. Put the
CaCl2 in one half and water showed up in the other half (probably in
both halves but easier to ladle or pour out from the empty side.)

It was very strange. If I put the bucket on one step, the smell went
away on that step, even though my nose was 5 feet higher than the
bucket. Then I'd move it to another step, and after 2 or 3 days, the
smell went away there, even though my nose was just as high and one
would think there is some air circulation and the air isn't glued to a
particular step.

After I did every step, the basement smelled fine and I gave the rest of
the 50 pounds to a gas station.

Boiler flue - NOT boxed in - allowed? Andrew Baker[_2_] UK diy 9 February 6th 13 07:40 AM
help concealing a boxed in btw toilet [email protected] UK diy 3 February 24th 07 01:31 PM
Gas pipes boxed in Sam Farrell UK diy 5 February 9th 07 05:59 PM
Boxed in pipes under a radiator Sparks UK diy 1 June 29th 05 06:40 PM
OT - Bad Intel 'Boxed CPU' heatsink Jim Stewart Metalworking 5 March 9th 05 06:05 AM