Jim Stewart

Default OT - Bad Intel 'Boxed CPU' heatsink

I'm in the process of building up 8 new
Pentium 4 machines for work. I bought
genuine Intel boxed CPU's with fan and
heatsink.

I powered up one of the machines to start
temperature alarm almost immediately.

I removed the fan-heatsink assembly and
discovered that the copper cylinder that's
press-fitted into the aluminum radiator
was loose and had slipped back away from
the CPU chip. The cause was obvious, the
aluminum radiator had cracked top to
bottom when the cylinder was press-fitted
into place.

I called Intel and they are sending a
free replacement heatsink-fan assembly.

Jim Stewart

Grant Erwin wrote:
Perhaps you meant this for a different newsgroup? - GWE

No. I put OT in the header and there
is some metal content to it.

Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm in the process of building up 8 new
Pentium 4 machines for work. I bought
genuine Intel boxed CPU's with fan and
heatsink.

I powered up one of the machines to start
temperature alarm almost immediately.

I removed the fan-heatsink assembly and
discovered that the copper cylinder that's
press-fitted into the aluminum radiator
was loose and had slipped back away from
the CPU chip. The cause was obvious, the
aluminum radiator had cracked top to
bottom when the cylinder was press-fitted
into place.

I called Intel and they are sending a
free replacement heatsink-fan assembly.

JR North

Since we all use computers, and being very smart, handsome, hands-on
types of guys, the occasional OT computer related post benefits most all.
Much more desirable than OT politico crap, which the Koolaid-drinking
little twerps like to stir things up with.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm in the process of building up 8 new
Pentium 4 machines for work. I bought
genuine Intel boxed CPU's with fan and
heatsink.

I powered up one of the machines to start
temperature alarm almost immediately.

I removed the fan-heatsink assembly and
discovered that the copper cylinder that's
press-fitted into the aluminum radiator
was loose and had slipped back away from
the CPU chip. The cause was obvious, the
aluminum radiator had cracked top to
bottom when the cylinder was press-fitted
into place.

I called Intel and they are sending a
free replacement heatsink-fan assembly.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

JR North

Agreed. AMD has performed flawlessly in my boxes.
JR
Dweller in the cellar