Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LP Heaters

Presently I have a wall-mounted, open-flame LP heater for supplemental heat in
my upstairs bedroom. The upstairs is just the bedroom and the bathroom.
Combined, they are about 700 square feet. They are normally heated by a heat
pump. The LP heater is used only on really cold days when the heat pump can't
keep up without engaging the extremely-expensive-to-operate heat strips.

The heater is not approved for bedroom use, and it is never run when anyone is
asleep in the room. However, I would like to find an LP heater that can run
during the night, if there is such a thing. A split system could be installed,
but that's more than I want to spend for supplemental heating.

The question then is, what sort of LP heaters can be safely used in a bedroom? I
realize local codes vary, but I'm more interested in safety than in codes.
(Whatever is safe will probably be approved under the code.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/22/2014 8:29 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I think (altho I've not checked) the only thing that will be approved
and certainly the only thing I'd consider (altho that doesn't really
have anything to do with anything) is externally vented.

I'd suggest think "electric blanket" or just add another comforter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/14 8:29 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

There are several direct vent LP heaters at Amazon. Prices range
from under $500 USD to over $2500 USD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2014 7:35 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

More or less the way I feel about it:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ed-gas-heaters

Friend had put them in his hunting camp after he got free gas hook-up.
In spite of them having shut off control for low oxygen and carbon
monoxide, they still scared me and like article says, who wants to
breathe combustion products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/14 7:00 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/22/2014 7:35 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

There are several direct vent LP heaters at Amazon. Prices range
from under $500 USD to over $2500 USD.

More or less the way I feel about it:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ed-gas-heaters

Friend had put them in his hunting camp after he got free gas hook-up.
In spite of them having shut off control for low oxygen and carbon
monoxide, they still scared me and like article says, who wants to
breathe combustion products.

Dad had a shop heater that burned diesel fuel or kerosene. It
was basically a tub with a pipe sticking out of the center for a
chimney. One regulated the heat using an air vent on the top of the
tub. I don't remember much else about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:00:53 -0500, Frank
wrote:

[...]

Oh, Heavens! Water and CO2! Both greenhouse gasses. Run!

Water heaters KenK Home Repair 89 April 15th 13 02:17 AM
Storage heaters R D S UK diy 14 May 26th 08 11:30 PM
Gas heaters? ? ? Ray Home Repair 7 October 30th 06 02:44 AM
Old gas heaters ? ? ? Ray Home Repair 6 December 4th 05 12:07 AM