Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Homeland Security and Movies

A movie goer was harassed by the Feds because he wore
Google glass to a movie. Article he
http://preview.alturl.com/q5wqz
What does possible movie theft have to do with Homeland Security?
Couldn't about half the federal government employees better spend their
time chopping weeds?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/21/2014 11:01 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

A movie goer was harassed by the Feds because he wore
Google glass to a movie. Article he
http://preview.alturl.com/q5wqz
What does possible movie theft have to do with Homeland Security?
Couldn't about half the federal government employees better spend their time chopping weeds?

Yes, Homeland Security is a taxpayer funded service for the motion picture industry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Article he
http://preview.alturl.com/q5wqz

"The MPAA then contacted Homeland Security, which oversees movie
theft...."

Seems to support my "slippery slope" view...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean,

What does possible movie theft have to do with Homeland Security?

The article that you posted answered this question.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2014 6:56 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Article he
http://preview.alturl.com/q5wqz

"The MPAA then contacted Homeland Security, which oversees movie
theft...."

Seems to support my "slippery slope" view...

Government of the corporations, for the corporations, by the corporations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I find interesting is the line of questions they were asking him:

=============
- who I am, where I live, where I work
- how much I’m making, how many computers I have at home
- where I got Glass / how did I came by having it.
- what does Google ask of me in exchange for Glass
- how much is Google paying me
- why am I recording the movie
- who am I going to give the recording to
- why don’t I just give up the guy up the chain
’cause they are not interested in me.

Over and over and over again.
==============

Do they really not know anything about the details of google-glass and
the relationship between google and those that acquire these glasses?

Are movies filmed in theaters really handed "up the chain" the way drugs
and other high-value items are handled? I would have thought that the
people putting cam-vids on torrents and file-lockers are the same ones
doing the filming.

It's interesting that law enforcement goons think that everything
illegal is done as part of an organized effort involving a chain of
people. They've obviously been watching too many TV crime shows about
themselves.

One of their basic flaws in this case is that nobody in his right mind
would cam-rip a movie in a theater using google-glass - too much head
movement to make for a watchable video.

"David L. Martel" wrote:

What does possible movie theft have to do with Homeland Security?

The article that you posted answered this question.

Actually, no it doesn't.

The article does not explain why the Dept. of Fatherland Security
handles movie theft.

The best explanation I can find (with limited googl'ing) is this:

=============
The US Department of Homeland Security polices piracy through its
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) branch and the National
Intellectual Property Rights Center. The office works with movie studios
and cinemas to stop the reproduction and distribution of pirated films.

"On January 18, special agents with ICE’s Homeland Security
Investigations and local authorities briefly interviewed a man suspected
of using an electronic recording device to record a film at an AMC
theater in Columbus," Khaalid Walls, an ICE spokesman, told a reporter
at the Columbus Dispatch. "The man, who voluntarily answered questions,
confirmed to authorities that the suspected recording device was also a
pair of prescription eye glasses in which the recording function had
been inactive. No further action was taken."

The first 3 or 4 pages of a search for these keywords:

Homeland Security movie theft

All seem to point back to this story. Prior to this event happening, it
would be interesting to know what result google would come back with
given these same keywords.

I didn't know that Fatherland Security was tied into ICE.

What a tangled web of agencies we weave, when we practice to deceive.