Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remote Doorbell?

I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2014 12:22 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

Mine's not wired and has batteries in button and receiver unit.
Believe you can buy these with more than one receiver.
Otherwise with what you want, you can try searching for some sort of
wireless attachment for what you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/14, 12:22 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe use a "Baby Monitor" setup. Sending unit near the bell/chime.
Receiving unit on the patio. Also becomes portable if needed in garage
or basement ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:57:47 -0500, Retired wrote:

On 1/21/14, 12:22 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe use a "Baby Monitor" setup. Sending unit near the bell/chime.
Receiving unit on the patio. Also becomes portable if needed in garage
or basement ?

Interesting idea ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:22:26 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

wire a relay into the existing circuit to close the contacts on a
"wireless" doorbell button - take the "chime" onto the patio. Just a
little reed relay will do the job because there is virtually no
current required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Thompson wrote:
I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

This device can be wired into your existing system and provide "remote
sound". Multiple units can be added to system if required.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Doorb.../dp/B002VSKYVY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/21/14 12:22 pm, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

Carlon "Extend-A-Chime." Just under $20 when I bought mine.

Although it says "Chime," it may well work in conjunction with a bell as
well.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

Carlon "Extend-A-Chime." Just under $20 when I bought mine.

Although it says "Chime," it may well work in conjunction with a bell as
well.

*I installed the Extend-a-Chime for a customer. It has a little device that
gets wired into the door chime and a remote plug-in module that chimes when
the doorbell button is pushed. I think that Smarthome.com has them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

I did just that. I started with a cheap wireless doorbell, but I
certainly didn't want two buttons at the front door, and I didn't want
to have to maintain a battery in the button.

So I took the button contacts in the wireless button and ran a jumper
between them so they were always closed, and I ran wires from the
existing transformer to the the battery connector in the new button.

Well, one wire started with the wire that was only hot when the existing
button was pressed. Then I put in a small diode to change part of the
transformer output to DC. My button was iirc 9VDC and I have the higher
voltage transformer, which I think is 18 volts, or lower. So
rectified it came out to 9, the rectified it came out to about 8 or 9.
The wireless button is attached to a floor joist, next to the
transformer and basement door bell.

The receiver is plugged into the 2nd floor hall.

If someone is really quick with the button, they can ring the front hall
and basement bells, without giving the button enough time to start the
second floor noise-maker going. But so far, I don't think that has
happened for others, only for me during testing.

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an existing wired doorbell, button at the front door,
transformer in garage, sounding unit in the main hallway.

I'd like to add a sounding unit on my patio.

Any cute ways to do that without stringing wire thru a very
difficult-to-negotiate attic?

Maybe some add-on RF gizmo?

...Jim Thompson

I see a potential problem.... What if you are next door sponging tools off the neighbor.... You might consider replacing the interior sounding unit with something like this....

http://beforeitsnews.com/mediadrop/u...4dcb3785d7.jpg

Doorbell help eastender[_3_] UK diy 10 January 29th 09 10:48 PM
Sharp TV / VCR Remote Codes - GE Universal Remote jJim McLaughlin Electronics Repair 1 July 16th 07 02:13 AM
can't get MX-500 universal remote to work with Directv H20 remote [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 3rd 06 08:12 AM
tx-29gf10x remote how do you open this remote iversonis Electronics Repair 0 November 11th 05 08:35 AM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM