Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX ring tools

I'm going to install some PEX for the first time. I can seee how it
goes together. Pretty simple actually, but the part I'm not sure about,
is which is the best way to put on the crimp rings, and which ones to
use. I went to a local hardware store and was shocked at the price for
those tools. If I was still doing plumbing work for a living, I'd just
spend the money, but this may be a one time job since I'm retired. The
store said they rent out those tools for $10 a day, which is not too bad
of a price, but I dont want to be rushed with the job, and try to do it
all in one day. It's in my own home and I just want to do it at my own
pace. If I have to rent this tool for 3 or 4 or more days, I may as
well buy it, because there will likely be something I want to add or
modify later. Not to mention that I still do some odd jobs, and might
have to use some PEX for someone else.

Anyhow, if the cost of the tool was not a problem, the clerk told and
showed me that there are two different styles of those rings, and each
one requires a different tool. He told me that the completely round
rings are the most common, but the ones that have a little nub on one
side are also used.

I decided to go on Ebay and see what is available. That confused me
even more, because they list stainless steel rings and copper rings.
They have lots of those tools, but many do not specify which type of
ring they are for, or they say it's for ASTM F2908 stainless steel
clamps. This means nothing to me. And the rings I sw in the hardware
store were black, which surely dont look like stainless steel to me.

In addition, some tools are only for onc size, whiel others are for
multiple sizes. (I want a multiple tool, or one that does at least 1/2"
and 3/4"). If this is not confusing enough, some of those tools contain
a "Go-NoGo" measuring device. What the hell is that for? If I'm using
stabdard PEX, and standard fittings, why do I need to measure where the
crimp ring goes?

What is the most common crimp ring style used? Why do I need this "Go-
NoGo thing? What are some of the better brand names for these tools? I
dont want a cheap piece of junk, but dont want to spend a fortune
either. They do appear to be much cheaper on Ebay, but it's harder to
know what I'm getting. I'd appreciate whatever help you can offer.
Thanks.

PS. I'm aware of the Shark Bite connectors, but not willing to pay
their price, since there will be a lot of fittings needed. So you need
not suggest them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:45:14 -0600, wrote:

[...]

House Man, (Home Guy)

I use the black crimp rings. I bought the tools, because I did no
want to drive round trip of 40 miles to rent one and I was in a big
renovation of my house. If you get the combination crimping tool - all
the better. I have two different crimpers.

The Go-No-Go tool is used to check the crimp ring after crimping. It
determines if the ring is crimped round (you want) or if the crimp
ring is "egg shaped" (bad)

My crimpers are branded "CrimpMaker" by Vanguard piping systems.

BEFORE you make the final compression, check and adjust the ring on
the brass fitting before the final crimp. DO NOT crimp the ring twice.
A test or two and you will help before a final use in plumbing.

Check it with the No-Go-Tool. If you have a bad crimp, dremel the ring
off and use a new ring.

Oh, I thought you hated plastic pipe......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Don't think too much, poor quality tool in this case is no, no. When I
did some work with PEX, I bought round rings in several sizes I need and
rented proper size cromping tool from HD. I practiced few times with a
piece of PEX tubing and rings B4 I started real thing. Nothing went
wrong. Go, No go gauge tells you whether the crimping is properly done.
If not, you will have to remove the ring with tool for that and recrimp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Find a rental place that rents them.
Depending upon how big the job is and how quick you can do it It will
cost less than buying the tools, and you won't have another tool you may
never use again.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

not suggest them.

Find a rental place that rents them.
Depending upon how big the job is and how quick you can do it It will
cost less than buying the tools, and you won't have another tool you may
never use again.

this is why i read newsgroups.

some idiot in hamptonburgh wants us all to know, literally, and forever,
how stupid he is. i guess it's a he, as it's signed bill. and come to
think of it, i don't know any girl-folk named bill.

'ciao

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:50:40 -0800, mike wrote:

If you're gonna rent one, I'd go for hydraulic.

....expansion fit? Not crimp tool, but the expansion tool? Expand the
pipe, insert the fitting and allow the PEX to shrink back down. No
ring on it.

Used in NG applications and irrigation lines for the lawn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2014 6:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

When I 1st got involved with PEX in my new house, I needed to add a
utility sink in the basement. I personally didn't like the pinch-type
clamps. They're probably ok, but ....
Anyway, the standard crimp tools are for one size (except for the pinch
type), however, I had 2 different sizes for this project. That would
mean buying 2 fairly expensive tools. I found the 'pocket crimp tool'
which did several sizes, one tool. Sure, it's not a convenient as the
nice ratcheting ones, but for the few times I will need it, it should
work. This tool was apparently designed to get into tight places. I
bought mine on line, however, I've seen them at Lowes and other places.
BTW, you also need vice grips to make it work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:45:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Get the one that does multiple size. You have to change it back and forth. Plumbers get the single sized ones because time is money for them. If you are doing a whole house you want to just pick up the tool and crimp. Not mess around changing it for a different size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I'm going to install some PEX for the first time

www.pexsupply.com

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 9:39:33 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I'm going to install some PEX for the first time

www.pexsupply.com

--

Tekkie

sharkbites are easy, but cost a bit more. having just used them for the first time they are awesome