Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default PEX ring tools

wrote:
I'm going to install some PEX for the first time. I can seee how it
goes together. Pretty simple actually, but the part I'm not sure about,
is which is the best way to put on the crimp rings, and which ones to
use. I went to a local hardware store and was shocked at the price for
those tools. If I was still doing plumbing work for a living, I'd just
spend the money, but this may be a one time job since I'm retired. The
store said they rent out those tools for $10 a day, which is not too bad
of a price, but I dont want to be rushed with the job, and try to do it
all in one day. It's in my own home and I just want to do it at my own
pace. If I have to rent this tool for 3 or 4 or more days, I may as
well buy it, because there will likely be something I want to add or
modify later. Not to mention that I still do some odd jobs, and might
have to use some PEX for someone else.

Anyhow, if the cost of the tool was not a problem, the clerk told and
showed me that there are two different styles of those rings, and each
one requires a different tool. He told me that the completely round
rings are the most common, but the ones that have a little nub on one
side are also used.

I decided to go on Ebay and see what is available. That confused me
even more, because they list stainless steel rings and copper rings.
They have lots of those tools, but many do not specify which type of
ring they are for, or they say it's for ASTM F2908 stainless steel
clamps. This means nothing to me. And the rings I sw in the hardware
store were black, which surely dont look like stainless steel to me.

In addition, some tools are only for onc size, whiel others are for
multiple sizes. (I want a multiple tool, or one that does at least 1/2"
and 3/4"). If this is not confusing enough, some of those tools contain
a "Go-NoGo" measuring device. What the hell is that for? If I'm using
stabdard PEX, and standard fittings, why do I need to measure where the
crimp ring goes?

What is the most common crimp ring style used? Why do I need this "Go-
NoGo thing? What are some of the better brand names for these tools? I
dont want a cheap piece of junk, but dont want to spend a fortune
either. They do appear to be much cheaper on Ebay, but it's harder to
know what I'm getting. I'd appreciate whatever help you can offer.
Thanks.

PS. I'm aware of the Shark Bite connectors, but not willing to pay
their price, since there will be a lot of fittings needed. So you need
not suggest them.

Find a rental place that rents them.
Depending upon how big the job is and how quick you can do it It will
cost less than buying the tools, and you won't have another tool you may
never use again.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY