Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet dirty at rim holes

Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?
tia
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?

Stains in toilet have nothing to do with the internal hardware.

Looks like minerals in your water.
Normal cleaning should deal with it.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:55:47 -0500, wrote:

Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?
tia

Read this link carefully about using muriatic acid to clean the bowl
rim jets. Carefully if on a septic system as it requires baking soda
to neutralize the acid before a flush.

The "dirt" - slime is coming from the rim bowl jets.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Plenty of old threads in AHR about it. You could use some muriatic
acid in the bowl, brush with a nylon toilet brush, the stains will
come back sooner, unless the rim jets are cleaned.

Side view of the rim jets (flush passages), etc.

http://www.hometips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/toilet-plumbing-diagram.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2014 8:55 PM, wrote:
Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?
tia

Use bottled water. There are a lot of solids in water and they will
precipitate in a toilet. Aside from cleaning the bowl filtration and/or
a softener would help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?
tia

I couldn't get the photo to load on that page, but saw the direct link...
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...etrimdirty.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:14:27 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?

Stains in toilet have nothing to do with the internal hardware.

Except possibly the flapper. 30 years ago, I bought "1000 Flushes"
for each toilet, and within two weeks, I had lots of black streaks down
the sides of all 3 of them.

I sent the flappers and the boxes that 1000 came in to the manufacture
and they refunded the 1000's and paid for new flappers, and postage.

But I've still never used the product again.

Looks like minerals in your water.
Normal cleaning should deal with it.

Yes.

There are some special products, like for when the faucet drips on the
sink all the time, and the water evaporates leaving some mineral.

When one lets urine sit in the toilet too much, acidic toilet bowl
cleaner may be needed. But that's not the problem here, because that
problem is no higher than the water line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:28:47 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
[...]

Or buy one of the rust stain removal products, like CLR,
etc that are available at hardware store, HD, etc. On
the stains like that I used it on it disappeared almost
instantly, no scrubbing, just applying it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:55:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Pix: http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper. Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix. What should I do next? tia

Shut the water off, flush the toilet and hold the hadle down until thewater in the tank is down to the level of the flapper. Then pour the strongest toilet cleaner you can find diretly down the tank outlet. Don't let it touch the flapper mechanism. That hopefully will clean out the passageway that goes around the top of the toilet bowl. Let the cleaner alone for an hour or so, and then turn the water back on and flush several times, a lot of crud should come out of the perimeter rim holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds good, will do. thanx
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:51:30 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:55:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Pix: http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper. Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix. What should I do next? tia

Shut the water off, flush the toilet and hold the hadle down until thewater in the tank is down to the level of the flapper. Then pour the strongest toilet cleaner you can find diretly down the tank outlet. Don't let it touch the flapper mechanism. That hopefully will clean out the passageway that goes around the top of the toilet bowl. Let the cleaner alone for an hour or so, and then turn the water back on and flush several times, a lot of crud should come out of the perimeter rim holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2014 9:28 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Muriatic is a big gun for the uninitiated! Not to mention having to buy
it by the gallon. I saw a video yesterday while researching other
plumbing issues, using vinegar poured into the fill tube, with funnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-hEJ6Xwbpc

The dirty streaks look black....if they are black, it is likely rubber
parts in the tank breaking down. Those cakes of stuff to hang in the
tank to clean the toilet can cause the parts to deteriorate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:55:47 -0500, wrote:

Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...dirty.jpg.html

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?
tia

On second t hought, this reminds me of when I had mold on the bottom of
a wall in the basement, below the downspout.

I sprayed bleach on it several times, wondering why it didn't kill the
mold when it was said to do that. Finally I reallized the mold was
dead, but that wasn't going to make the black mold turn white. I had to
paint.

Similarly, you need to clean the toilet dirt lines off. All the ways
they gave are probably good. If the dirt comes back, you'll have a
better idea of where it comes from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote in
m:

On 1/15/2014 9:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:55:47 -0500,
wrote:

Pix:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sh...mdirty.jpg.htm

I replaced the entire valve assembly and the flapper.
Still, the toilet dirt lines appear, as can be viewed on the pix.
What should I do next?
tia

Read this link carefully about using muriatic acid to clean the bowl
rim jets. Carefully if on a septic system as it requires baking soda
to neutralize the acid before a flush.

The "dirt" - slime is coming from the rim bowl jets.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Plenty of old threads in AHR about it. You could use some muriatic
acid in the bowl, brush with a nylon toilet brush, the stains will
come back sooner, unless the rim jets are cleaned.

Side view of the rim jets (flush passages), etc.

http://www.hometips.com/wp-content/u...et-plumbing-di
agram.gif

Muriatic is a big gun for the uninitiated! Not to mention having to
buy it by the gallon. I saw a video yesterday while researching other
plumbing issues, using vinegar poured into the fill tube, with funnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-hEJ6Xwbpc

The dirty streaks look black....if they are black, it is likely rubber
parts in the tank breaking down. Those cakes of stuff to hang in the
tank to clean the toilet can cause the parts to deteriorate.

'The Works' is my favorite TB cleaner. Lots of muriatic acid (HCl).
Cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:28:47 -0800, Oren wrote:

Plenty of old threads in AHR about it. You could use some muriatic
acid in the bowl, brush with a nylon toilet brush, the stains will
come back sooner, unless the rim jets are cleaned.

Oren is right.

I experimented with all the AHR suggested solutions.

If you dig up my pictures, you'll see a much worse problem,
solved in a few minutes, albeit not without a few safety concerns.

Here is a search term to use in "images.google.com":
"danny d" "toilet bowl" "hydrochloric acid"

Here are a few pictures of the results:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12670694.png
http://www.homegardenguides.com/gard...ous-acids.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:49:28 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Muriatic is a big gun for the uninitiated!
Not to mention having to buy it by the gallon.

I agree, you have to pay attention to technique:

However, I think a gallon is a perfect size, since it took about a
half gallon for me to clean the ones I tried (albeit they were badly
crudded up).

Home Depot, Lowes, and all pool supply stores sell the 28% HCl,
which is pretty cheap at about 5 to 10 dollars a gallon:

http://www.lowes.com/Pool-Chemicals/...eh7/pl?rpp=32#!

So, that's about $2.50 to about $5 per toilet bowl ...
http://www.diybanter.com/home-repair...-poolacid.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 00:37:55 -0500, micky wrote:

I sprayed bleach on it several times, wondering why it didn't kill the
mold when it was said to do that. Finally I reallized the mold was
dead, but that wasn't going to make the black mold turn white. I had to
paint.

In my toilet bowl, the pool bleach (admittedly much more powerful than
household bleach) simply turned the brown crud white.

It took the pool acid to remove the crud (in a bubbling frothing
satisfying way!).

Forget the Naval Jelly. That was a bust. And, um, be careful with the
acid ..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 02:34:09 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:28:47 -0800, Oren wrote:

Plenty of old threads in AHR about it. You could use some muriatic
acid in the bowl, brush with a nylon toilet brush, the stains will
come back sooner, unless the rim jets are cleaned.

Oren is right.

I experimented with all the AHR suggested solutions.

If you dig up my pictures, you'll see a much worse problem,
solved in a few minutes, albeit not without a few safety concerns.

Here is a search term to use in "images.google.com":
"danny d" "toilet bowl" "hydrochloric acid"

Here are a few pictures of the results:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12670694.png
http://www.homegardenguides.com/gard...ous-acids.html

Danny is a favorite Huckleberry, renowned bean counter, and poster of
lllllloooooooooongggggggg threads.

We get it done.. Credits and a shout out to Bob Haller as he first
brought this method to my attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:16:52 -0800, Oren wrote:

We get it done.. Credits and a shout out to Bob Haller
as he first brought this method to my attention.

Indeed!

What's not obvious, until you experiment with hydrochloric
acid (HCl), is that the toilet bowl "crud" isn't at all what
we think it is (at first).

It's mineral deposits, covered in crap.

So, while you can bleach it white (with pool chlorine), and
while you can scrape it raw (with Ajax) - the simplest
easiest (not the least dangerous though) way to remove the
crud is simply to run the Oren-Haller Huckleberry procedure.

The exact details are painfully outlined in the aforementioned
thread; but it mainly involved donning safety equipment to then
simply pour a half gallon of the muriatic acid into the tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:16:52 -0800, Oren wrote:

We get it done.. Credits and a shout out to Bob Haller
as he first brought this method to my attention.

Indeed!

What's not obvious, until you experiment with hydrochloric
acid (HCl), is that the toilet bowl "crud" isn't at all what
we think it is (at first).

It's mineral deposits, covered in crap.

So, while you can bleach it white (with pool chlorine), and
while you can scrape it raw (with Ajax) - the simplest
easiest (not the least dangerous though) way to remove the
crud is simply to run the Oren-Haller Huckleberry procedure.

The exact details are painfully outlined in the aforementioned
thread; but it mainly involved donning safety equipment to then
simply pour a half gallon of the muriatic acid into the tank.

Slight minor correction - pour the muriatic acid into the overflow
tube, not the tank - due to the fact some flush valves/tank may have
metal parts. Down the "tube", the acid goes directly into the bowl rim
jet channel.

Minerals build up around the rim jets, causing restriction as the
flush will not create the vortex swirl when the flush happens. Those
built up minerals will harbor cooties and stain the interior of the
bowl sooner than later. Fewer minerals built up equals less cooties.

Just so we are clear about that
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:53:59 -0800, Oren wrote:

Slight minor correction - pour the muriatic acid into the overflow
tube, not the tank

I stand corrected.

Also, I was searching for the word, so I used crud, but, you're
right, that the correct technical term is cooties!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...english/cootie

As in:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_boys_have_cooties

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 03:44:24 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:53:59 -0800, Oren wrote:

Slight minor correction - pour the muriatic acid into the overflow
tube, not the tank

I stand corrected.

Also, I was searching for the word, so I used crud, but, you're
right, that the correct technical term is cooties!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...english/cootie

As in:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_boys_have_cooties

You da man, Danny.