Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I Run 110 In Schedule 40 Inside A Board-On-Board Fence?

I have a shed that is wired via grey Schedule 40 PVC that runs underground
from a GFCI receptacle under my deck. The shed is up against a wooden
board-on-board fence similar to this:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15 from the shed. Can I
come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either on
top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board
fence? This would mean that the conduit would be between the vertical slats
of the fence for the full 15.

If not, is burying the conduit and using a riser stub up my only other
option?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:26:39 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have a shed that is wired via grey Schedule 40 PVC that runs underground
from a GFCI receptacle under my deck. The shed is up against a wooden
board-on-board fence similar to this:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15 from the shed. Can I
come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either on
top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board
fence? This would mean that the conduit would be between the vertical slats
of the fence for the full 15.

If not, is burying the conduit and using a riser stub up my only other
option?

No problem as long as it is marked U/V protected and it always is.
I think I would spray the conduit to match the fence before I put it
in there

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a shed that is wired via grey Schedule 40 PVC that runs underground
from a GFCI receptacle under my deck. The shed is up against a wooden
board-on-board fence similar to this:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15 from the shed. Can
come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either
on
top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board
fence? This would mean that the conduit would be between the vertical
slats
of the fence for the full 15.

If not, is burying the conduit and using a riser stub up my only other
option?

*Yes you can. Be sure to use an expansion coupling. As someone else
mentioned, painting the pipe would make it less noticeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote:
I have a shed that is wired via grey Schedule 40 PVC that runs underground
from a GFCI receptacle under my deck. The shed is up against a wooden
board-on-board fence similar to this:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15 from the shed. Can I
come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either on
top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board
fence? This would mean that the conduit would be between the vertical slats
of the fence for the full 15.

If not, is burying the conduit and using a riser stub up my only other
option?

*Yes you can. Be sure to use an expansion coupling. As someone else
mentioned, painting the pipe would make it less noticeable.

Please explain the "expansion coupling" comment. I've used Schedule 40
under my deck, underground and up the side of the house before and never
dealt with expansion couplings.

Why are you suggesting them for this application? Not pushing back, just
trying to learn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 13, 2014 10:56:03 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote:

[...]

http://0323c7c.netsolhost.com/docs/C...20fittings.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2014 01:02 AM, wrote:

I think I would spray the conduit to match the fence before I put it
in there

camouflage

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*In addition to what Gfretwell said, it is also a code requirement. PVC has
expansion and contraction characteristics that can cause it to buckle and
warp. Your fence picture reminded me of a PVC conduit installation on a
fence in my area that I observe in passing every now and then. When it was
initially installed the pipe was of course nice and straight. Several years
later it looks like a derailed freight train. The total distance is perhaps
30' - 40'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I have a shed that is wired via grey Schedule 40 PVC that runs underground
from a GFCI receptacle under my deck. The shed is up against a wooden
board-on-board fence similar to this:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15 from the shed. Can I
come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either on
top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board
fence? This would mean that the conduit would be between the vertical slats
of the fence for the full 15.

Yes, that's fine, as long as you're using conductors that are rated for the application. Non-
metallic sheathed cable ("Romex") is *not* permitted he it cannot be used in wet
locations, and outdoors exposed to rain is a wet location *even inside conduit*. You need
to run UF cable or individual conductors of THHN, THWN, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in news:xIRAu.266668$kN2.75012
@fx19.iad:

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15' from the shed. Can
I come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either
on top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board
fence?

[...]
*Yes you can. Be sure to use an expansion coupling.

Not needed on such a short run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:56:03 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

If you arrange the conduit so it can shrink and grow without being
trapped you can do without the fitting. RNC straps are designed to let
it slide and you want to strap the long section at a bend and allow
the intersecting part to be somewhat free (strapped ~3 feet away). If
you can't assure that, you do need the expansion fitting. The conduit
will buckle in the summer and pull apart in the winter.
To put this in perspective, PVC will expand close to a half inch
(0.406") in 10 feet over a 100 degree swing. That is not unusual
between a cold winter night and a sunny day in the summer. (ref table
352.44)

This is interesting. I currently have 3 runs of grey schedule 40 conduit on
the back of my house. One runs vertically from the sill plate to the
soffit, 2 stories. One runs vertically from the sill plate to the roof line
of a one story addition. The third one runs horizontally from the sill
plate, under my deck, to a point about 15 feet from the house.

All three runs originate in conduit body fittings and terminate in fixture
boxes, either receptacles or lights. None have expansion fittings. As far
as I know, none have ever experienced bending or warping or any movement
that I know of. Granted, they are on the north side of my house and don't
ever get full sun. Temps range from below zero to mid-nineties at the
extremes, but not in short periods of time.

Have I just been lucky? Will the fact that you guys brought is up cause my
conduit to warp enough to come flying off the house the next the
temperatures change?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 00:48:05 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

If there is some wiggle room you usually get away with it but I bet if
you look in the summer, there is some sag taking up the slack..
I used EMT in my screen cage because I did not like the way PVC
looked.

What's a screen cage?

I painted both vertical runs to match my white house. The grey under the
deck is still grey.

One vertical run is for a receptacle box that used to power ice melt wires.
This'll be my second winter with a new roof, full soffit vents, ridge vents
and rafter bay baffles. No ice melt wires and no icicles last winter. If I
don't get icicles this year (or maybe next) I'll probably remove that run.
Then again, maybe not...as soon as I do, I'll probably get icicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15' from the shed.
Can
I come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit
either
on top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the
board-on-board
fence?

[...]
*Yes you can. Be sure to use an expansion coupling.

Not needed on such a short run.

*Maybe not. However in addition to the expansion and contraction of the
PVC, the wood fence will be doing it as well. Derby should check Article
352.44.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 07:59:58 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

*Yes you can. Be sure to use an expansion coupling. As someone else
mentioned, painting the pipe would make it less noticeable.

Please post a photo of an expansion coupling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 13, 2014 12:26:39 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a shed that is wired via grey Schedule 40 PVC that runs underground

from a GFCI receptacle under my deck. The shed is up against a wooden

board-on-board fence similar to this:

http://rtfence.com/wp-content/upload.../12/wood12.jpg

I'd like to add a receptacle on a fence post about 15’ from the shed. Can I

come out of the shed with Schedule 40 conduit and run the conduit either on

top of or underneath the lower horizontal member of the board-on-board

fence? This would mean that the conduit would be between the vertical slats

of the fence for the full 15’.

If not, is burying the conduit and using a riser stub up my only other

option?

I'm not sure if it's code or not but I'd be tempted to staple a piece of outdoor 14/2 to the underside of the lower 2x4. Assuming your board on board is the style with the horizontal 2x4s.