Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Add Weight To Work Light Base?

The following is a picture of the tripod base of a dual head work light. If
you look carefully, you'll notice that the center pole does not match the
base. That's because I modified the base to hold an adjustable metal pole
so that I can get extra height from the light. The problem is that the work
light is now relatively unstable due to being top heavy.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps65fce9b3.jpg

I'm looking for ideas to add weight to base. The legs of the tripod are
hollow. I've considered pouring concrete into the tubes but I'm not sure
it would be enough weight. I also considered inserting a solid steel rod
but there is an obstruction - the rivet for the flat support bars which
extends straight through the tube. To insert a rod I'd have drill out the
rivet, insert the steel bar and then drill through the rod in order to
reattached the support rods. Doable, but more work than I want to put into
it if there's an easier solution.

Which would weigh more - three 7/8" x 12" 'tubes' of concrete or three 7/8"
x 12" steel rods or something else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/14 12:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The following is a picture of the tripod base of a dual head work light. If
you look carefully, you'll notice that the center pole does not match the
base. That's because I modified the base to hold an adjustable metal pole
so that I can get extra height from the light. The problem is that the work
light is now relatively unstable due to being top heavy.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps65fce9b3.jpg

Some cut.

Would it be practical to fasten a barbell or dumbbell weight to the
base in the center?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:15:26 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

What about a few small sand bags placed over each leg, during use? I
see this used in highways signs so the wind won't blow them over so
easily.

.....weight from an old barbell set - maybe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 1:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

How often do you move this device?
Does the weight have to fold up conveniently?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

[...]

When I was a photographer I used sand bags...add whatever weight you need.

Which would weigh more - three 7/8" x 12" 'tubes' of
concrete or three 7/8" x 12" steel rods or something else?

No idea but if you want tubes of something use lead shot and epoxy.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/14, 10:15 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Could an old cast iron (or plastic) barbell weight, or maybe even an old
automotive flywheel just be slipped over the mast and allowed to rest on
top of the tripod apex? Wouldn't be pretty, but would probably work great.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:18:05 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

Glad you mentioned lead (bird) shot. Pour each leg full or partial
full and cap the ends. Things should still fold up easily for storage?

Bird shot lead can be sewn into material for a door stop, too. (like a
lead pillow)

Or in the prison business, we called it "bean bags". Fired a center of
mass AKA stun guns!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lead shot and epoxy sounds like a good solution. You can fill each of the legs from the top and the bottom, don't have to worry about the rivets in the middle of each leg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:25:27 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I'm single. If it weren't for usenet crisis,
my days would be empty.

If you really need a friend, get a dog.

They eat, sleep and ****; but never talk back.

...mine is a barkless African hound dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm single. If it weren't for usenet crisis,
my days would be empty.

If you really need a friend, get a dog.

They eat, sleep and ****; but never talk back.

..mine is a barkless African hound dog.

This is the one I would like.
Is it a dog, a wolf, or a mix of each?
http://www.pawnation.com/2013/05/24/...nimal-shelter/

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:05:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

How often do you move this device?

Every single time that is required. Do I have to think of everything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I'm looking for a integral solution. No extra parts to carry,
store, move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 1/12/14 12:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The following is a picture of the tripod base of a dual head work light. If
you look carefully, you'll notice that the center pole does not match the
base. That's because I modified the base to hold an adjustable metal pole
so that I can get extra height from the light. The problem is that the work
light is now relatively unstable due to being top heavy.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps65fce9b3.jpg

Some cut.

Would it be practical to fasten a barbell or dumbbell weight to the base in the center?

Possible, but cumbersome. I still want to be able to fold up the base
easily. A dumbbell weight would prevent that or at a minimum make it
inconvenient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
Lead shot and epoxy sounds like a good solution. You can fill each of
the legs from the top and the bottom, don't have to worry about the
rivets in the middle of each leg.

That's a possibility. I'll look into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Extremely often.

Does the weight have to fold up conveniently?

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Can't do it without making the legs longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How about three sandbags, laid over the horizontal parts of the base, or
even maybe the sloping parts.

That way the base won't be permanently heavy, if you want to carry it
somewhere that the added weight isn't needed.

And if there's a flood, you'll be 3 bags ahead of the game. Plus other
uses.

I don't think you can buy sandbags in most places, but you can buy the
bags and fill them with sand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You seem to have missed my response the last time sandbags were suggested.

"Thanks, but I'm looking for a integral solution. No extra parts to carry,
store, move."

Besides, I live on top of a hill overlooking a bay. If a flood ever reached
my house, we'd all be in more trouble than sandbags could possibly deal
with. We'd be talking an Armageddon-like situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:42:06 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

You seem to have missed my response the last time sandbags were suggested.

"Thanks, but I'm looking for a integral solution. No extra parts to carry,
store, move."

It was suggested to pour the tri-pod legs with lead bird shot as a
ballast. "Integral" in the unit

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You seem to have missed my response the last time sandbags were suggested.

"Thanks, but I'm looking for a integral solution. No extra parts to carry,
store, move."

It was suggested to pour the tri-pod legs with lead bird shot as a
ballast. "Integral" in the unit

YMMV

I read that and it's going to be tried. I was merely replying to micky's
sand bag suggestion, which came very late and had already been suggested,
more than once.

BTW...the light fell over again tonight. It doesn't take much of bump for
it to start to topple. Unfortunately my hands were otherwise occupied and
I couldn't catch it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You seem to have missed my response the last time
sandbags were suggested.

"Thanks, but I'm looking for a integral solution. No
extra parts to carry, store, move."

It was suggested to pour the tri-pod legs with lead
bird shot as a ballast. "Integral" in the unit

YMMV

I read that and it's going to be tried. I was merely
replying to micky's sand bag suggestion, which came very
late and had already been suggested, more than once.

BTW...the light fell over again tonight. It doesn't take
much of bump for it to start to topple. Unfortunately my
hands were otherwise occupied and I couldn't catch it.

An alternative to adding weight is to increase the span of the legs. Can't
tell the diameter of what you have but perhaps they lend themselve to having
pipe/tubing sliped over them? Wouldn't have to be a perfect fit, a couple
of pins at 90 degrees to each other would stifle any wobble.

--

dadiOH

Need light weight Christmas sleigh & Reindeer Art Todesco Home Repair 2 September 28th 12 04:21 AM
Light Weight Oil Joe Metalworking 12 September 5th 09 11:58 PM
light Weight ceiling treatment Jeff D[_2_] Home Repair 2 January 1st 09 09:03 PM
Light weight small Vacuum recomendations Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk UK diy 8 August 16th 05 08:51 PM
Bridgeport base casting weight? George Willer Metalworking 1 August 26th 03 02:59 AM