Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How To Add Weight To Work Light Base?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

The following is a picture of the tripod base of a dual
head work light. If you look carefully, you'll notice
that the center pole does not match the base. That's
because I modified the base to hold an adjustable metal
pole so that I can get extra height from the light. The
problem is that the work light is now relatively unstable
due to being top heavy.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps65fce9b3.jpg

I'm looking for ideas to add weight to base. The legs of
the tripod are hollow. I've considered pouring concrete
into the tubes but I'm not sure it would be enough
weight. I also considered inserting a solid steel rod but
there is an obstruction - the rivet for the flat support
bars which extends straight through the tube. To insert a
rod I'd have drill out the rivet, insert the steel bar
and then drill through the rod in order to reattached the
support rods. Doable, but more work than I want to put
into it if there's an easier solution.

When I was a photographer I used sand bags...add whatever weight you need.

Which would weigh more - three 7/8" x 12" 'tubes' of
concrete or three 7/8" x 12" steel rods or something else?

No idea but if you want tubes of something use lead shot and epoxy.

--

dadiOH