Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Add Weight To Work Light Base?

On 1/12/2014 1:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The following is a picture of the tripod base of a dual head work light. If
you look carefully, you'll notice that the center pole does not match the
base. That's because I modified the base to hold an adjustable metal pole
so that I can get extra height from the light. The problem is that the work
light is now relatively unstable due to being top heavy.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps65fce9b3.jpg

I'm looking for ideas to add weight to base. The legs of the tripod are
hollow. I've considered pouring concrete into the tubes but I'm not sure
it would be enough weight. I also considered inserting a solid steel rod
but there is an obstruction - the rivet for the flat support bars which
extends straight through the tube. To insert a rod I'd have drill out the
rivet, insert the steel bar and then drill through the rod in order to
reattached the support rods. Doable, but more work than I want to put into
it if there's an easier solution.

Which would weigh more - three 7/8" x 12" 'tubes' of concrete or three 7/8"
x 12" steel rods or something else?

How often do you move this device?
Does the weight have to fold up conveniently?

--
..
Christopher A. Young