Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewer or water line insurance

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement that a neighbor paid 8k for recently, meaning I would still have to come up with another 7k, not a great deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

most of these policies are a big winner for the insurance company. a friend had such coverage after buying a home. 3 years out the sewer line collapsed, they refused to cover it calling it pre existing.......

save your money for the eventual replacement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement that a neighbor paid 8k for recently, meaning I would still have to come up with another 7k, not a great deal.

It's a great scam, they get your money and then they get to say what is "covered"!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:51:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement

Exactly. I don't like them picking the plumber.

And does the state you live in have them registered.

that a neighbor paid 8k for recently, meaning I would still have to come up with another 7k, not a great deal.

I tend to assume that the rates will be very high for any insurance
policy so specific. And does your regular homeowners insurance cover
the same thing, maybe. (I've never read my policy. Oops)

A friend has a kitchen appliance policy, or maybe it covers more than
that, but she's had a run of bad luck and 3 things have broken. They
paid for replacements on all of them, far more I think than she spent on
premiums. But nothing invovled a contractor, just a deliveryman, and
connecting a gas stove, which a friend did for her. .

In general, you can be a self-insurer and only buy insurance for losses
you can't afford to bear. Like if your whole house burnt down, you
probably couldn't afford to pay for another. But a water or sewer line
you can probably afford.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:55:37 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:51:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement

Exactly. I don't like them picking the plumber.

Having them pick the plumber would be OK with me if they are going
to cover it 100%. But with a $7K limit, IMO, you'd have to be nuts.
Todd already figured out the scenario. Their plumber says the cost
is $14K, and you find out you can get it done by other plumbers for
half that.

I guess is also depends on your particular circumstances. If the
sewer already has problems, is 50 years old, needs to be cleaned out
every year or so, etc, then it might be a different story. For sure
I'd carefully read the actual policy and ask for some references
where they have had to do major work.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:16:22 -0600, Bill Gill wrote:

On 1/7/2014 7:51 PM, wrote:
Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement that a neighbor paid 8k for recently, meaning I would still have to come up with another 7k, not a great deal.

I have been receiving those offers for some time and have been
pitching them. However, just this last week there was a story
in the Tulsa World (our local paper) that one of our city
counselors is considering letting the company that is selling
the policies use the city seal on their advertising. Supposedly
a number of smaller cities in Oklahoma have done that. Apparently
the cities get a kickback from the company. I haven't done any
research on the outfit, but I really doubt that it is a good buy.
And I really don't like the idea of the city supporting any
private business. It just isn't a good idea.

You're right. Is the city guaranteeing the insurance. It sure looks
that way. The city should be prepared to pay what the insurance
doesn't.

One might have thought that all banks were insured by the FDIC or the
FSLIC, but in the 80's, and I think the 70's in Maryland, there were
savings & loans which not insured at all but which used the symbol of
the State of Maryland in their advertising. It made people think that
the state of Maryland was standing behind these banks.

At least one went bankrupt one night, taking a lot of people's life
savings with them (Never put all your money in one place, but those who
didn't still had plenty of money lost.) Some people were old or sick
and needed the money right then. I don't remember details but after a
couple years, the state finally reimbursed people....50 percent or less.
IIRC.

I don't have much respect for most state legislatures. Even the ones
running well now may not be in a few years.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:51:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage.

Sure. Throw the fliers, ad, solicitation in the recycle bin. DONE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 22:06:53 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

Extended warranty on a Dodge is worth buying. How do I know this? I own a
Dodge Caravan. POS vehicle. Warranty has paid off. WW

Easy solution is not buy a Dodge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/7/2014 7:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Our city started doing this thing too where they got in bed with the
ins company and started pitching these policies. It USED to be that
if your sewer broke the city would fix the line where it went past
your property line because they considered the part on city property
the property of the city and therefore their reasonability. Now they
are saying it's only the sewer main that's the cities responsibility
and ALL of the pipe from your house to the main is your problem even
though it's running on city property past your property line. Because
of this it would be more expensive if you had to redo the whole line
then it used to be when the city handled part of it.

It's just one more area where the city has looked at how they can off
load their responsibilities onto the homeowner. In our city they
recently changed from 12 times a year bulk trash to only twice a year
and for this wonderful change I will save less then $2 a month on my
trash bill. THe're all a bunch of crooks and morons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 09:11:10 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

Our city started doing this thing too where they got in bed with the
ins company and started pitching these policies. It USED to be that
if your sewer broke the city would fix the line where it went past
your property line because they considered the part on city property
the property of the city and therefore their reasonability. Now they
are saying it's only the sewer main that's the cities responsibility
and ALL of the pipe from your house to the main is your problem even
though it's running on city property past your property line. Because
of this it would be more expensive if you had to redo the whole line
then it used to be when the city handled part of it.

Baltimore County still looks at sewers the way your city used to.

What city do you live in?

It's just one more area where the city has looked at how they can off
load their responsibilities onto the homeowner. In our city they
recently changed from 12 times a year bulk trash to only twice a year
and for this wonderful change I will save less then $2 a month on my
trash bill. THe're all a bunch of crooks and morons.

But they changed bulk trash from 12 times a year to never, with no
deduction on the bill, ttbomk. They will give you the name of a hauler,
however, who charges the same for a partial load as a full load. I
ended up cutting my water heater in small pieces partly becausae of
this. I learned you can saw through the skin of an electric water
heater even if the teeth are gone from your reciprocating saw blade.
So it was worth it.

And I learned that a glass lined WH wonn't get its glass broken if you
drop it a little bit, because it's all some flexible plastic/vinyl
stuff. In fact the advertising from Sears doesn't mention glass. iirc.
Are any really lined with glass?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:12:18 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement that a neighbor paid 8k for recently, meaning I would still have to come up with another 7k, not a great deal.

It's a great scam, they get your money and then they get to say what is "covered"!!!!!!!!!

No, they give you a policy to read. Because you don't isn't their
fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Extended warranty on a Dodge is worth buying. How do I know this? I own a
Dodge Caravan. POS vehicle. Warranty has paid off. WW

Easy solution is not buy a Dodge.

+1. Have had four. All **** but worked for us then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Just curious if anyone has an opinion on water or sewer line coverage. I received an offer for about $10 monthly to cover these, including cleanouts and repairs or replacement of the sewer. Being that mine will need replacing sooner or later, I thought about buying it. Then I thought that the $7k benefit for replacement may not be all it appears to be; the company chooses the contractor and they could easily charge 14k for a replacement that a neighbor paid 8k for recently, meaning I would still have to come up with another 7k, not a great deal.

I'm still way ahead. When this first came up, I said it was a waste of
money and I've never had the need to pay anyone to take care of my sewer
line.

Should have kept my mouth shut. Yesterday I had a clog and had to call
a pro. They showed up 90 minutes later and had it cleared in 20
minutes. They charge travel time and the final bill will be about $150.
This is a local outfit that has done most of the sewer work in the area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 23:00:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Yeah, my SIL had her sewer line clog again on Christmas Eve (11PM). It
cost her over $400, again, to have someone come out and auger it out.
Apparently, her line is flat and not buried very deeply (maybe a foot,
there). It was about 0F that night.

My septic system backed up last (year ago) Thanksgiving morning but at
least I don't have to worry about the sewer freezing. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slightly off topic, but what about water theft insurance? Both plumber and county water dept say that is best explanation for 20K gal monthly use when every other month for years has been 1K gal. They checked both meter, pressure valve, water heater, and pipes for leaks.

I fear to ask insurer because I've heard that just raising a question sometimes results in an increase in insurance a few months layer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 6:36 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Slightly off topic, but what about water theft insurance? Both plumber and county water dept say that is best explanation for 20K gal monthly use when every other month for years has been 1K gal. They checked both meter, pressure valve, water heater, and pipes for leaks.

I fear to ask insurer because I've heard that just raising a question sometimes results in an increase in insurance a few months layer.

That is a lot of water to steal. Where would they be taking it from?
I'd monitor the meter on a daily basis to see what the use is. It it
shows a big use on some days, theft is a possibility. It it is steady
use every day, I'd suspect a leak. Even a running toilet can use that
much. We had a little used toilet at work that caused thousands of
gallons to be wasted before we found the problem.