Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brand new MTD snowblower - broken transmission out of the box

Hi,

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

under warranty? return to store for replacement...
Posted to alt.home.repair

MTD - garbage produced in Alabama .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 08:05:08 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi,

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

NEVER buy power equipment "in the box" from a "big box store" and
expect it to work. If you know enough about how the machine is
supposed to work that you don't need to ask what is wrong, you are
capable of setting it up properly (perhaps).

Otherwise, pay the little extra to buy from a proper dealer who knows
how to set it up, and gives it to you without the box - set up and
adjusted to work.

Then if it doesn't work you call them and they fix it - free - under
warranty. There is no warranty on your failed attempt to set it up
and adjust it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 09:03:13 -0800 (PST), Fred Smit
wrote:

MTD - garbage produced in Alabama .

Used to be pretty decent stuff manufactured in Kitchener Ontario
(where they know what snow is). Back then I'd buy their stuff. Since
they pulled out I'll buy Japanese equipment before I'll buy theirs.
(now own a Yamaha)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred Smit wrote:
MTD - garbage produced in Alabama .

Hi,
I think so. Never had anything MTD name on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:
Hi,

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Sure, easy fix. Ten minutes out of the box I'd drain the fuel and take
it back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2014 11:05 AM, wrote:
Hi,

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

What did you expect? You bought a bargain snowblower.

If you want one that actually works for your next big snow storm, go to your local Ariens, Honda, Toro or Yamaha dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/14 04:17 pm, Red Hymen wrote:

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly
and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at
about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on
the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before
the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

What did you expect? You bought a bargain snowblower.

If you want one that actually works for your next big snow storm, go to
your local Ariens, Honda, Toro or Yamaha dealer.

As I reported here a few months back, my local Toro dealer does not sell
the small "Toro"-branded ride-on mowers because they are in fact made by
MTD. I have no idea about "Toro"-branded snow blowers.

OTOH, our "Craftsman" snow blower is now ten years old and still going
strong. Maybe it's made by MTD too.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:44:22 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Anyone know how to fix this?

Sure, easy fix. Ten minutes out of the box I'd drain the fuel and take
it back.

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner. Stop the presses.

OP is hawkin' his youtube

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

As I reported here a few months back, my local Toro dealer does not sell
the small "Toro"-branded ride-on mowers because they are in fact made by
MTD. I have no idea about "Toro"-branded snow blowers.

OTOH, our "Craftsman" snow blower is now ten years old and still going
strong. Maybe it's made by MTD too.

You never know who is making things and putting a lable on it now. A few
years ago I bought a John Deere mower at the JD store. It was a low end one
and the transaxel wore out after a few years. The same company that makes
the transaxels makes several versions. Some good and some junk.

As to Craftsman, hard telling who made it and put that lable on it.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:44:22 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Anyone know how to fix this?

Sure, easy fix. Ten minutes out of the box I'd drain the fuel and take
it back.

ding, Ding, DING. We have a winner. Stop the presses.

OP is hawkin' his youtube

That is what I did with a weedeater that would not start. Bought it at
Lowes, a Husqvarna. I pulled it about 50 times during a days time and it
did not start. I did not seem to get a spark at the plug. Returned it and
got another. That one started just find all summer.

Had it not been for a 30 mile drive each way I would have done that to a
tiller I got at Sears. The drive belt came off twice in about 10 miuits.
The second time I started to see why. Found the engine was missing 2
mounting bolts and the other 2 were loose. I found one bolt in the box that
I had not yet thrown away. I had enough bolts in my stock of parts to
replace the missing pieces. The dirive belt has not came off again.
All I was suspose to do was put the handle on from the instructions..

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2014 10:37 AM, bob haller wrote:
under warranty? return to store for replacement...

Yep. return it at once.

If you try to fix it yourself and they see any wrench marks on the bolts
they will probably accuse you of ruining it and void your warranty.

Unless you bought it specifically as defective or "as-is" they have to
fix it, replace it or refund your money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 18:00:36 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

This is NOT an email,,,,,,,,,,
JUST SHOWS HOW STUPID AVAST IS!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

Hi,

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly
and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at
about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever
on the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before
the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Targets QA logo:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/xde2js.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ethan.emallove , GB wrote:
ethan.emallove wrote:

Hi,
The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and

topped working about ten minutes out of the box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs
It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about

1
RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the

transm
ission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission

went loose and stopped working again.
Anyone know how to fix this?

I don't know what model yours is but I have a small 5 horse craftman
which is MTD and the transmission went out after about 12 uses I took it
apart and they have a brass gear working against a steel worm gear and the
brass gear is completely gone. The only thing to do is replace the
transmission and the warranty should take care of that. as for the belts
being loose they have a lot of slack in them but tighten up when you pull
the handle to engage the drive or the auger. Hope this helps