Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brand new MTD snowblower - broken transmission out of the box

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 08:05:08 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi,

The transmission on my new MTD snowblower from Target squealed loudly and stopped working about ten minutes out of the box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCf2h8a0Rs

It looks like the belt is loose as it's engaged, but only moving at about 1 RPH (revolutions per hour). I was able to tighten the lever on the transmission, which remedied the problem for ten minutes before the transmission went loose and stopped working again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

NEVER buy power equipment "in the box" from a "big box store" and
expect it to work. If you know enough about how the machine is
supposed to work that you don't need to ask what is wrong, you are
capable of setting it up properly (perhaps).

Otherwise, pay the little extra to buy from a proper dealer who knows
how to set it up, and gives it to you without the box - set up and
adjusted to work.

Then if it doesn't work you call them and they fix it - free - under
warranty. There is no warranty on your failed attempt to set it up
and adjust it.