Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ariens Snowblower Question Regarding Their "Auto Turn" Feature ?

Hi Folks,

Need a new Snowblower for our house.

Way back in the old days, about 10 years ago, most all Ariens Snowblowers
had a true Differential in the drive system. Worked like a charm. Made
all turning of the unit a cinch, and effectively effortless.

They have had all types of goofy systems since then, for reasons it is
impossible for me to understand. Can't believe what they have come up
with is any cheaper than implementing a very simple differential
(again), if cost is the the true reason. Nothing they have come out with
is remotely as good as was the differential concept.

At my age now, really hard to man-handle the unit in turning it.

So, now, they apparently have this "Auto-Turn" gearing, per their catalog.

With this, is there power applied during the turn, or is what happens
just that the power is removed during any turning, and the wheels just
free spin on both sides ?

Anyone using it ?
Any good ?

Pros and Cons, opinions, caveats, etc. ?

Any brand in your opinion "better" ?

Any with a true Differential ?

Regards, and thanks,
Bob

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 07:35:17 -0500, Bob wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob, Bob here...

FWIW I use a Toro Max which has triggers under the handles that must
relieve power to a wheel when pulled which forces the machine to turn
in the direction of the pull (left trigger, left turn, etc). This
allows the machine to turn on a dime under power. Also, my first
Toro blower lasted about 20 years. This new one is about 5-8 years
old and holds up, works and always starts with ONE pull.

OTOH I've got an Ariens walk behind swivel wheel mower that I cant use
because I cannot get the traction mechanism to work. Even took to the
dealer and he couldn't get it either. So its scrap metal in my shed.
YMMV

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/14, 7:35 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

protection is active.

I don't have one, but Ariens has a video here

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/more/Pag...auto-turn.aspx

that shows and explains how it works. Basically it has a clutch that
senses when user starts to push handles left or right, and then it
locks one wheel, causing it to turn very tightly. Video shows user
using one hand to make a turn. Looks good, hope it holds up in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:16:02 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 1/4/14, 7:35 AM, Bob wrote:

[...]

That would seem to be a tradeoff. How fancy do you want it to
be versus simpler and more reliable. IDK exactly what my 20
year old Sears has, but it has a 5 cent pin in one wheel. With
the pin in the wheels are locked together for better traction,
so one can't just spin with little traction on the other like
you'd have with a differential. I've never taken the pin out.
With no differential action, both wheels locked, I can easily
direct it where I want it to go. I suppose if you use it a lot,
or are running a service, then maybe it would be useful. But
for me, two wheels locked togther, simple, works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 07:35:17 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hi Folks,

Need a new Snowblower for our house.

Way back in the old days, about 10 years ago, most all Ariens Snowblowers
had a true Differential in the drive system. Worked like a charm. Made
all turning of the unit a cinch, and effectively effortless.

The professional units had a diff. The standard ones did not. I worked
for an Ariens dealer way back when.

They have had all types of goofy systems since then, for reasons it is
impossible for me to understand. Can't believe what they have come up
with is any cheaper than implementing a very simple differential
(again), if cost is the the true reason. Nothing they have come out with
is remotely as good as was the differential concept.

At my age now, really hard to man-handle the unit in turning it.

So, now, they apparently have this "Auto-Turn" gearing, per their catalog.

With this, is there power applied during the turn, or is what happens
just that the power is removed during any turning, and the wheels just
free spin on both sides ?

Remove power from the "inside" wheel.

Anyone using it ?
Any good ?

Pros and Cons, opinions, caveats, etc. ?

Any brand in your opinion "better" ?

Any with a true Differential ?

I like the true diff, but "planetary steering" where you power one and
stop the other is better than a locked drive. One thing I miss on the
Yamaha Hydro track drive. It is NOT easy to turn.

Regards, and thanks,
Bob

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 08:15:36 -0500, BobMCT
wrote:

[...]

I'd take the Ariens off your hands if it was within 150 miles of
Waterloo Ontario.

Hi Bob, Bob here...

FWIW I use a Toro Max which has triggers under the handles that must
relieve power to a wheel when pulled which forces the machine to turn
in the direction of the pull (left trigger, left turn, etc). This
allows the machine to turn on a dime under power. Also, my first
Toro blower lasted about 20 years. This new one is about 5-8 years
old and holds up, works and always starts with ONE pull.

OTOH I've got an Ariens walk behind swivel wheel mower that I cant use
because I cannot get the traction mechanism to work. Even took to the
dealer and he couldn't get it either. So its scrap metal in my shed.
YMMV

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/14, 7:35 AM, Bob wrote:

[...]

My Ariens SnoTek also has the pins for the wheels. When both wheels are
locked it turns OK under power, but it's next to impossible to turn if it's
not in gear. It's also bit hard to make really sharp turns, which I have to
do a lot.

I typically keep one wheel free, but I have locked both wheels under heavy
snow conditions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
[...]

It is know good, it will not go straight. The front end moves back and forth too hard to handle. Not worth getting.