Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] gar33coner@gmail.com is offline

Default Ariens Snowblower Question Regarding Their "Auto Turn" Feature ?

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hi Folks,

Need a new Snowblower for our house.

Way back in the old days, about 10 years ago, most all Ariens Snowblowers
had a true Differential in the drive system. Worked like a charm. Made
all turning of the unit a cinch, and effectively effortless.

They have had all types of goofy systems since then, for reasons it is
impossible for me to understand. Can't believe what they have come up
with is any cheaper than implementing a very simple differential
(again), if cost is the the true reason. Nothing they have come out with
is remotely as good as was the differential concept.

At my age now, really hard to man-handle the unit in turning it.

So, now, they apparently have this "Auto-Turn" gearing, per their catalog.

With this, is there power applied during the turn, or is what happens
just that the power is removed during any turning, and the wheels just
free spin on both sides ?

Anyone using it ?
Any good ?

Pros and Cons, opinions, caveats, etc. ?

Any brand in your opinion "better" ?

Any with a true Differential ?

Regards, and thanks,
Bob

---

It is know good, it will not go straight. The front end moves back and forth too hard to handle. Not worth getting.