Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 'Lectrics question

I know there was discussion recently pretty sure it was here about
stapling wires on rafters , but what about on floor joists ? My new place
has a suspended wood floor with decent crawl space varies from 18" to
nearly 36" and is curently open all round . Will be closed in as soon as I
get the wiring and plumbing in . I'm going to drill anyway , but just
wondered . Since I've allowed good space underneath , I'll be running most
of the wiring under the house and I want a clean looking job. The exception
will be lighting for obvious reasons .
Today I nailed boxes and ran the temp service from the pole into my new
panel mounted it and the new 200 amp meter base yesterday . Tomorrow I
should have most of the wire ran - weather permitting - and outlets and
basic lighting hot by friday . Then she wants the bathroom finished ... and
so do I .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/02/14 12:35 am, wrote:

I know there was discussion recentlypretty sure it was here about
stapling wires on rafters , but what about on floor joists ? My new place
has a suspended wood floor with decent crawl spacevaries from 18" to
nearly 36" and is curently open all round . Will be closed in as soon as I
get the wiring and plumbing in . I'm going to drill anyway , but just
wondered . Since I've allowed good space underneath , I'll be running most
of the wiring under the house and I want a clean looking job. The exception
will be lighting for obvious reasons .

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run
at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it
shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or
three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists.
Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on
running boards.

How long has that para. been in effect? The house we bought ten years
ago has the wiring for the A/C unit (twin 12ga + ground Romex) stapled
to the underside of the joists.

Also, the para. you quoted refers to unfinished basements. That section
of our basement was unfinished when we moved in, but it's a lot more
finished now: sheetrock over what were bare studs, but still exposed
joists. Does that require any change to the wiring?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 9:15 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

My biggest concern would be the way critters seem to love the taste of
wire insulation, particularly Romex.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
On 1/1/2014 9:15 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Well , while it won't happen right away , there will be stone up at least
to the window sills ... and I have yet to see a critter that can chew stone
.. It will be closed in with either tin or more likely 1" foam insulation
until the stone goes on .
Has anybody here used those thermo-spring actuated crawl space vents ?
Supposed to open when it gets hot and close when it gets cool , but the
only ones I've had contact with were crap .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 16:32:20 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Has anybody here used those thermo-spring actuated crawl space vents ?
Supposed to open when it gets hot and close when it gets cool , but the
only ones I've had contact with were crap .
--

I heard they were bad maybe 20 years ago. Surey they've improved them by now. It' snot rocket surgery.

Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 4 December 27th 04 10:58 AM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 3 December 26th 04 10:51 PM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 1 December 24th 04 12:54 PM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 6 December 23rd 04 12:16 PM
Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 2 December 21st 04 12:25 AM