N. Thornton

Default Scary lectrics

In message
From: BigWallop )
Subject: Scary lectrics

I was asked, a good while ago now, to have a look at some tube

heaters in a
bar in Edinburgh, ok, it was the Artisan Bar in London Road if anyone

is
interested, and when I removed the wooden front covers of the wall

seating I
was amazed to find multi core alarm cable going into each and every

heater
in series around the walls. Seven heaters in total had been

connected with
multi core. Each cable had been stripped back and the individual

stranded
conductors had been wrapped to form, in essence, two thicker wires.

You say in series, you mean each was getting 240/7 v? At least that
would explain why nothing blew.

Bodge artists note, its cheaper to use lightbulbs for heating...

NT
Andy Burns

N. Thornton wrote:

Bodge artists note, its cheaper to use lightbulbs for heating...

But if you're cold blooded you might need some very dark sunglasses ;-)
BigWallop

om...
In message
From: BigWallop )

I was asked, a good while ago now, to have a look at some tube

heaters in a
bar in Edinburgh, ok, it was the Artisan Bar in London Road if anyone

is
interested, and when I removed the wooden front covers of the wall

seating I
was amazed to find multi core alarm cable going into each and every

heater
in series around the walls. Seven heaters in total had been

connected with
multi core. Each cable had been stripped back and the individual

stranded
conductors had been wrapped to form, in essence, two thicker wires.

You say in series, you mean each was getting 240/7 v? At least that
would explain why nothing blew.

Bodge artists note, its cheaper to use lightbulbs for heating...

Yes, they were connected series. That's why they didn't heat anything bar
the cable either. The end one heated slightly more than the rest, so I was
told. :-)

Scary lectrics N. Thornton UK diy 6 December 23rd 04 12:16 PM
scary experience with first project Mike Dundee Woodturning 6 May 1st 04 12:32 PM
Scary Sharp, What is Float Glass, and where can one get some. DANIEL HENEGHAN Woodworking 18 April 30th 04 05:33 PM
MINOR Improvement to Scary Sharp Larry C in Auburn, WA Woodworking 8 November 10th 03 01:22 PM