Larry C in Auburn, WA

Default MINOR Improvement to Scary Sharp

I just discovered, at least for me, a very minor improvement to the Scary
Sharp method of sharpening iron. I've been using sandpaper to sharpen
cutting edges for about 25 years, although not to 2,000 grit and not using
plate glass. In just the last year I started using a piece of glass.
Anyway, at work the other day I was looking for something from the supply
cabinet and I ran across a new office gadget. It's sorta like a tape
dispenser, but it dispenses a 1/4" wide strip of glue like the glue on
Post-It notes. I immediately thought of using it on the sandpaper rather
than spray adhesive which I always seem to get on me while spraying the
sandpaper. I bought one at Office Max and I just tried it and it works
great. Run a little strip in the corner of the sandpaper and a short X in
the middle and it sticks nicely to the glass. Just like Post-It notes the
sandpaper is easily removable and can be restuck to the glass if needed.
It's less messy than spray adhesive in my opinion.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Charlie Self

Larry C writes:

[...]

Most anything is. Suggest you take a look at Lee Valley's microabrasives, with
PSA. Too, McFeely's has a neat system using rolled PSA abrasives with MDF.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas J. Watson

Silvan

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

sandpaper. I bought one at Office Max and I just tried it and it works
great. Run a little strip in the corner of the sandpaper and a short X in

What's it called exactly? How expensive was it?

Might be worth checking out indeed. I'm clamping my paper because I hate
screwing with the adhesive, and I'm almost as tired of screwing with the
clamps.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Here's a link to a picture/description of it:
http://www.aboveroute.com/item/-Pape...lls/i34962.htm
I don't have the receipt, but I think it was around $6.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Silvan" wrote in message
Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

sandpaper. I bought one at Office Max and I just tried it and it works
great. Run a little strip in the corner of the sandpaper and a short X

in

What's it called exactly? How expensive was it?

Might be worth checking out indeed. I'm clamping my paper because I hate
screwing with the adhesive, and I'm almost as tired of screwing with the
clamps.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Kevin Craig

http://www.aboveroute.com/item/-Pape...nser-and-Refil
ls/i34962.htm
I don't have the receipt, but I think it was around $6.

How thick is it? No bumps or lumps, even with the finest grits?

The mess of cleaning up 3M 77 keeps me from doing SS as often as I
should. This stuff definitely looks promising.

Thanks for finding it!

Kevin
charlie b

I suspect that rubbing lines of bees wax on the back of the
sand paper will work as well. One of my mentors was a jeweler
and used an old drop forge to stamp parts. The male and female
dies (sp?) have to be perfectly aligned or they explode when
the drop forge hammer drops - not a good thing. Had a small die
set (male & female matched dies) that we just couldn't get
aligned in any of his die holders. We went nuts trying to come
up with a method.

Then an old drop forge operator we found showed us The Trick.
The male die was clamped in its holder. But the female die
just got a little bees wax on the bottom and stuck on the
anvil - close but not perfectly aligned with the male die.
The old guy put a piece of linoleum over the female die and
let the hammer fall. The female die was able to move just
enough to be perfectly aligned with the male die.

Stamped a lot of Hitler In A Hangman's Noose overlays for
Zippo lighters using The Trick. We used that trick for the
Tojo In A Hangman's Noose overlays as well. I guess
Mussoline didn't warrant an overlay.

BTW -this was done in the '70s and not during The War (as
opposed to "police actions", "incursions", "temporary
invasions", "shadow wars", "contras" or other "actions").
I'm old, but not that old

Anyway - try the bees wax trick before spending $19.95
plus shipping, handling, undercoating, floor mats,'
taxes, licensing fees etc.. PLUS the refill costs.

charlie b
Larry C in Auburn, WA

???WTF are you talking about? "$20 plus shipping, handling, undercoating,
floor mats, taxes, licensing fees etc.. PLUS the refill costs." $6 at the
local store, probably $10 if you had to have it shipped. There's enough
glue on the thing to last a lifetime. Beeswax might work, but this glue
thingy doesn't cost $20.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Reed

My wife uses this adhesive for scrapbooking. It doesn't last forever.
In ScarySharp use alone, it would last a long time though.

When she first showed me the stuff, I was wondering how it would work
for ScarySharp. I don't like the thickness of the rectangles. As
another poster asked, I do believe it would transfer through the
sandpaper as a soft bump.

As far as cost goes, $6 for the initial purchas, then about $4 for
refills. Pretty rough, but ScarySharp won't consume much of it. Just
don't let SWMBO know you got some of it!

-Mike