Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default 'Lectrics question

On 01/02/14 12:35 am, wrote:

I know there was discussion recentlypretty sure it was here about
stapling wires on rafters , but what about on floor joists ? My new place
has a suspended wood floor with decent crawl spacevaries from 18" to
nearly 36" and is curently open all round . Will be closed in as soon as I
get the wiring and plumbing in . I'm going to drill anyway , but just
wondered . Since I've allowed good space underneath , I'll be running most
of the wiring under the house and I want a clean looking job. The exception
will be lighting for obvious reasons .

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run
at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it
shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or
three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists.
Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on
running boards.

How long has that para. been in effect? The house we bought ten years
ago has the wiring for the A/C unit (twin 12ga + ground Romex) stapled
to the underside of the joists.

Also, the para. you quoted refers to unfinished basements. That section
of our basement was unfinished when we moved in, but it's a lot more
finished now: sheetrock over what were bare studs, but still exposed
joists. Does that require any change to the wiring?

Perce