Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solder or crimp ??

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the
atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

If you can not use the proper crimping tool then solder.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2013 7:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the
atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

WHAT????
Solder will work for a connection that does not move, but for a
connection that moves crimping is more desireable as the wire will not
break as easily.
Crimping is generally more desirable for most electrical connections.

If you can not use the proper crimping tool then solder.

---

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

You gotta be smokin' some good ****!

If you can not use the proper crimping tool then solder.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the
atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

You gotta be smokin' some good ****!

Just know what I am talking about.
Here for a beter explination if you care.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-vid...-and-soldering

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:33:01 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the
atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

You gotta be smokin' some good ****!

Just know what I am talking about.
Here for a beter explination if you care.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-vid...-and-soldering

That was an interesting article written by a knowledgeable author.
However, it didn't say anything different from what I said farther
down in this thread. He may have said it more eloquently though.

The one thing that was definitely not said was any mention of atoms
fusing. That was why I commented about your smoking habits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
The one thing that was definitely not said was any mention of atoms
fusing. That was why I commented about your smoking habits.

Well smoke on this for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding

I just gave a very simple version.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the
atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

You gotta be smokin' some good ****!

Just know what I am talking about.
Here for a beter explination if you care.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-vid...-and-soldering

I did not see anything like what you said in that article. Plus writers
are like A-Holes, they all have opinions and bias. Being a writer
doesn't make them right.

---

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the
atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

You gotta be smokin' some good ****!

What's your issue? What he said is perfectly correct. Crimping is
better but only if it's done *right*. We often do both (crimp, then
solder) because we don't have the proper tools for all of the
connectors we use. Usually the stuff only has to last a few weeks of
light usage, though. I'd never do it for anything safety related or
has to last decades, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

Hi,
If properly done. Ever looked at crimped or solder connection under hi
power magnifier?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2013 7:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

Hi,
If properly done. Ever looked at crimped or solder connection under hi
power magnifier?

Not looked at either, under magnifier. I've done
both, with small terminals. Haven't soldered since
I was a teen, but I was taught that soldering was
preferred. I actually crimp, and then heat it up
and solder. Well, I used to.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-12-29, Tony Hwang wrote:

If properly done. Ever looked at crimped or solder connection under hi
power magnifier?

True. Both can be easily screwed up. All those pins in a D-connector
are crimped and I've seen 'em last decades. OTOH, I'll solder the
lugs to my car or golf cart battery. Big stranded cable crimps are
prone to corrosion, more so than small stranded wire. As always, the
correct crimper is a must. Those Amp pin crimpers can be damned
expensive, but they do the job.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 19:08:06 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution. That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution.

Correct, that's exactly what the article is about.

That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

A properly crimped connection doesn't need to be soldered if that
joint will never be stressed, if that joint will never be subjected to
moisture or vibration, if that joint will not be subjected to a
corrosive environment, if that joint is in a terminal that solder will
prevent the terminal from seating properly in its' housing, if that
joint...

There are a few more if's but I think you get the point. The biggest
"if" is being properly crimped. Unless it is done under controlled
conditions that will frequently not happen.

In the harnesses I designed for earth moving equipment for about 30
years all connections were crimped and soldered except the joints that
solder would prevent the terminal from seating properly in its'
housing. And that is exactly what I still do at home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2013 8:27 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution. That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

I use crimp on lugs (up to about 14 gage stranded) so
it's a decision I get to make. Most of the time, I
am not near a soldering iron. It's good to hear that
properly done crimps are as good or better. Thanks to
all who took the time to reply.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ashton Crusher:
The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with no trouble...

On my winter bike - equipped with an electric motor - I've got 4 crimped
Anderson connectors and four solder joints.

Over five years, the solder joints have failed twice but the crimped
connectors have given no problems.

OTOH, that's just failure. The efficiency of transmission has got to
be a whole other issue - which I have no clue about.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

OTOH, that's just failure. The efficiency of transmission has got to
be a whole other issue - which I have no clue about.
--

Again done correctly, the crimp will have almost no differance than a single
piece of wire. The solder will have a very small ammount of resistance.

Probably did not come out the way I want it to, but the crimp will have less
resistance than a soldered joint.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

OTOH, that's just failure. The efficiency of transmission has got to
be a whole other issue - which I have no clue about.
--

Again done correctly, the crimp will have almost no differance than a single
piece of wire. The solder will have a very small ammount of resistance.

Probably did not come out the way I want it to, but the crimp will have less
resistance than a soldered joint.

That's why a proper soldered joint is first crimped. Solder holds and
seals the connection. That's the way I was taught.

I can make some pretty poor soldering at times, but I can also use proper
technique. I passed a NASA soldering school class.

Who says a solder connection does not need proper strain relief to prevent
vibration failure.

I have soldered large battery cables using hundreds of watts, as well as
1.5 mm caps to boards.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 03:06:33 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
[...]

Our "radio guy" for all the state 2-way radios installs them with
crimped connections as far as hooking them into the car electrical
system, no soldering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 07:42:45 -0700, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

...snip....

On my winter bike - equipped with an electric motor - I've got 4 crimped
Anderson connectors and four solder joints.

Over five years, the solder joints have failed twice but the crimped
connectors have given no problems.

OTOH, that's just failure. The efficiency of transmission has got to
be a whole other issue - which I have no clue about.

If you looked at crimp vs solder over the whole spectrum, you'd find the
soldered connection to become 'noisy' with time. ...having variable
resistance. Not too noticeable if you're powering a motor, because who
cares if the connection comes and goes once in a while?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution.

Solder will actually cause more problems than it solves (for properly
crimped connectors). Solder will wick up into multi-strand wire and
cause the wire to break at that point, under flex (work hardening).

That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility.

They don't need to be machines. Hand crimpers work fine for smaller
connectors. The ratcheting type are best.

The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

Sure but adding solder doesn't solve anything if the crimp is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution.

Solder will actually cause more problems than it solves (for properly
crimped connectors). Solder will wick up into multi-strand wire and
cause the wire to break at that point, under flex (work hardening).

That's what I learned in NASA soldering school, keeping wire from wicking.

Greg

That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility.

They don't need to be machines. Hand crimpers work fine for smaller
connectors. The ratcheting type are best.

The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

Sure but adding solder doesn't solve anything if the crimp is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Putting aside vibration issues, I've always viewed the solder as
insurance against corrosion. I have found crimps that were bad due to
corrosion when used in exposed to weather areas. Never found a
problem when they were soldered in such use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It won't help if the crimp was right to begin with.

have found crimps that were bad due to
corrosion when used in exposed to weather areas. Never found a
problem when they were soldered in such use.

The wire breaks, instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No matter how perfect the crimp is it won't keep moisture out of the
joint area. The edges of the metals are exposed, the corrosion starts
there and works it's way back eating away at the metals. Just look at
all the corroded battery cables that are crimped into the battery
clamps, eventually the stuff corrodes away.

have found crimps that were bad due to
corrosion when used in exposed to weather areas. Never found a
problem when they were soldered in such use.

The wire breaks, instead.

I've had far far more failed crimps from corrosion in exposed to
weather areas then wires breaks from any cause. In fact, the only
wire breaks I've had were on crimped and NOT soldered connections.
I've never had a crimped AND soldered connection fail. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:27:56 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

...snip...

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution. That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

Not good idea to solder a crimped connector. The heat usually relaxes the
pressure of the crimp nnd the advantage of the crimp is lost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

In aircraft wiring it is crimp only - no solder because solder wicking
back the wire stiffens the wire, and any flex gets concentrated at
that point - breaking the wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2013 6:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This article says soldering is less desirable than crimps for
Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html
I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp. What's your
thoughts?

I have a ratcheting type crimp tool and have used low temperature silver
on crimped connectors if I'm worried about moisture wicking into the
stranded wire plus heat shrink that has the hot melt sticky stuff on the
inside. Regular heat shrink tubing makes a good strain relief on the
wire crimped into a connector because it prevents a sharp 90° bend in
the wire crimped into the connector when it's put under stress. The most
important thing, don't nick the wire when you strip the insulation off
of it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a ratcheting type crimp tool and have used low temperature silver
on crimped connectors if I'm worried about moisture wicking into the
stranded wire plus heat shrink that has the hot melt sticky stuff on the
inside. Regular heat shrink tubing makes a good strain relief on the
wire crimped into a connector because it prevents a sharp 90° bend in
the wire crimped into the connector when it's put under stress. The most
important thing, don't nick the wire when you strip the insulation off
of it. ^_^

TDD

Now, I'm not disappointed. i figured TDD would
mention the one thing, most important, which
everyone else missed. Good job, mate.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2013 6:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I have a ratcheting type crimp tool and have used low temperature silver
on crimped connectors if I'm worried about moisture wicking into the
stranded wire plus heat shrink that has the hot melt sticky stuff on the
inside. Regular heat shrink tubing makes a good strain relief on the
wire crimped into a connector because it prevents a sharp 90° bend in
the wire crimped into the connector when it's put under stress. The most
important thing, don't nick the wire when you strip the insulation off
of it. ^_^

TDD

Now, I'm not disappointed. i figured TDD would
mention the one thing, most important, which
everyone else missed. Good job, mate.

I missed writing "solder" after the word "silver". Silver solder has a
higher conductivity than regular solder but you need to use some heat
shrink for a strain relief for when the wire is bent at a sharp angle at
the connector. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You can use low temp silver, if you don't nick
the wire while stripping it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 21:06:35 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/28/2013 6:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This article says soldering is less desirable than crimps for
Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html
I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp. What's your
thoughts?

I have a ratcheting type crimp tool and have used low temperature silver
on crimped connectors if I'm worried about moisture wicking into the
stranded wire plus heat shrink that has the hot melt sticky stuff on the
inside. Regular heat shrink tubing makes a good strain relief on the
wire crimped into a connector because it prevents a sharp 90° bend in
the wire crimped into the connector when it's put under stress. The most
important thing, don't nick the wire when you strip the insulation off
of it. ^_^

The crimp forms an air (moisture) tight seal. Solder doesn't add
anything and will cause wires to break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I always solder them if expect them to be around moisture and always use
heat-shrink tubing for a strain relief then I use dielectric silicone
grease in the connector to prevent corrosion. I've never had a problem
with wires breaking in those circumstances. I have had soldered wires
break off circuit boards when they're bent at a sharp angle a few times.
^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Really, that must be why when they bury wires they just crimp them and
call it good......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If the connector is designed to be crimped and buried, solder isn't
going to help. It often will cause problems, though. Use connectors
the way they were designed to be used and you will have fewer
problems. ...but I'm sure you think you know better than the
manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You said crimps form a moisture tight seal. They don't. That's why
no one but an idiot would crimp a wire and rely on your claim that
it's suddenly become moisture tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

While personal preference plays a large part in this choice, it is perhaps
worth noting that autombile and truck manufacturers, aircraft manufacturers,
and even aerospace industry, including the space shuttle builders among
others, all crimp rather than solder their wire connectors and terminals.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.