Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stripped screws in shower dain

I removed the old drain cover in my 11-year old shower to install a new one. I found the cast brass pipe had two brass screws, which were frozen in place and the heads stripped off when I tried to remove them.

My first question is why are there brass screws in a brass fitting with no thread compound? Why not use stainless, or aluminum, or nylon screws? Why install the parts in a way that guarantees they will freeze and the heads will strip off?

The second question is now that I have no screw holes for new screws how do I mount the new drain cover? I have installed a snap in replacement cover but it would be nice to have the original style cover held in place with screws.

I am considering using epoxy to glue a couple of nuts to the inside of the grain. Maybe something like a large volume of JB weld will work and I can drill and tap for new screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
I removed the old drain cover in my 11-year old shower to install a new one. I found the cast brass pipe had two brass screws, which were frozen in place and the heads stripped off when I tried to remove them.

My first question is why are there brass screws in a brass fitting with no thread compound? Why not use stainless, or aluminum, or nylon screws? Why install the parts in a way that guarantees they will freeze and the heads will strip off?

The second question is now that I have no screw holes for new screws how do I mount the new drain cover? I have installed a snap in replacement cover but it would be nice to have the original style cover held in place with screws.

I am considering using epoxy to glue a couple of nuts to the inside of the grain. Maybe something like a large volume of JB weld will work and I can drill and tap for new screws.

Have you tried removing the screws with a left hand thread screw or screw extractor? Or maybe drill them out completely and tap slightly larger threads?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:48:41 PM UTC-8, Guv Bob wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

I should have mentioned that. Yes, the screws are harder than the casting. The drill went off center and the wall thickness is less than the screw diameter. So, yes I tried drilling but it did not work. BTW, I have never been able to make one of those screw extractors work...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

[...]

They are often that way. You need to use a center punch when drilling out screws. And sometimes you need to start with a smaller bit and then go back with a larger bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:18:25 -0800 (PST), jamesgang
wrote:

You need to use a center punch when drilling out screws. And sometimes you need to start with a smaller bit and then go back with a larger bit.

If the head broke, I'd try a pair of needled-nosed vise gripes.

Or grabits.

•Two-step drill bit and extractor in one tool. Multiple tools not
required.

•Self centering drill tip; no walking or wandering. No grinding,
center punching required.

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8440P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B001A4CWHO/ref=sr_1_1/178-2073870-2680520?ie=UTF8&qid=1387319797&sr=8-1&keywords=grabit+screw+extractor

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You need to use a center punch when drilling out screws. And sometimes you need to start with a smaller bit and then go back with a larger bit.

If the head broke, I'd try a pair of needled-nosed vise gripes.

Or grabits.

•Two-step drill bit and extractor in one tool. Multiple tools not
required.

•Self centering drill tip; no walking or wandering. No grinding,
center punching required.

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8440P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B001A4CWHO/ref=sr_1_1/178-2073870-2680520?ie=UTF8&qid=1387319797&sr=8-1&keywords=grabit+screw+extractor

YMMV

If nothing can get that broken screw out and the new drain cover has to
be glued in, I'd use RTV as it will hold well...but the piece /can/ be
removed again next time replacement is needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

[...]

Exactly... what he said.

--
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

[...]

Yeah, I know what you mean. If it were me, my next solution would be to call a plumber! LOL!

Last time I changed the thermostat in my car, I sheared off the bolts. I tried drilling and extracting them and never did get them out. Ended up filing the bolts down even with the face, drilling new holes in the housing and drilling/tapping matching holes in the block. Saved $20 not taking it to the mechanic. ;O)