Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3-way LEDs... at last?

On 12/25/2013 10:46 AM, bud-- wrote:
On 12/24/2013 10:11 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/21/2013 08:05 PM, bud-- wrote:

I was just looking for 100W light bulbs for a garage. CFLs aren't good
because of the cold. LEDs probably aren't available in 100W, and are not
a particularly good choice for bulbs that aren't used much. That leaves
halogen. For 3 brands the "100W equivalent" was in reality a 75W
equivalent. I agree with philo that this is consumer fraud.

Why aren't they prosecuted?

If these are old school porcelain bare bulb lampholders, just get a
y-adapter and use two Cree LED "60W" bulbs in each. Probably the
cheapest "energy efficient" solution you're going to find other than CFL
or doing the same thing with halogens.

nate

IMHO my garage, where the lights are not on much, is a poor place to use
LEDs.

I wound up using ordinary 150W incandescents. I would have tried
halogens if I would have found honest ratings.

I wouldn't say "poor" - LEDs are a better choice than CFLs *especially*
in a garage that may be partially heated or unheated. However, if
you're using it as a "car and tool storage space" and not a workspace,
that is, the lights are on generally only when you're pulling a car in
or out or retrieving something and you're not spending a lot of time
there, it may not be worth the money to use LEDs as the payback may not
be as long as you own the home.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 09:46:18 -0600, bud-- wrote:

On 12/24/2013 10:11 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/21/2013 08:05 PM, bud-- wrote:

I was just looking for 100W light bulbs for a garage. CFLs aren't good
because of the cold. LEDs probably aren't available in 100W, and are not
a particularly good choice for bulbs that aren't used much. That leaves
halogen. For 3 brands the "100W equivalent" was in reality a 75W
equivalent. I agree with philo that this is consumer fraud.

Why aren't they prosecuted?

If these are old school porcelain bare bulb lampholders, just get a
y-adapter and use two Cree LED "60W" bulbs in each. Probably the
cheapest "energy efficient" solution you're going to find other than CFL
or doing the same thing with halogens.

nate

IMHO my garage, where the lights are not on much, is a poor place to use
LEDs.

That's true for almost all lights in my house. I was taught at an
early age to turn lights off when I left a room. The only lights that
stay on for any time are in the basement. I have CFLs there, and will
convert to 4' tubes when I get some time.

I wound up using ordinary 150W incandescents. I would have tried
halogens if I would have found honest ratings.

I just have 4x100W bulbs (maxed out the fixtures). Two of those are
in the GDO. If I need more light to work out there, I have a 3KW

LEDs again Steve Firth UK diy 6 October 19th 12 10:35 PM
LEDs gregz Home Repair 2 April 25th 12 02:58 AM
Dimmers & LEDs [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 December 21st 11 03:49 AM
LEDs and TTL Henry Electronics 8 January 3rd 06 04:48 PM
UT Orange LEDs Chris Fonville Electronics 7 March 26th 05 08:31 PM