Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing a Tub Surround

Has anyone ever removed a plastic glued on tub surround?

I have a 3 piece surround that is in excellent shape, but I have to
remove the tub to do some structural repairs under it. There iw no
other way. The surround overlaps the metal flange at the top of the
porcelain metal tub, so the tub cant be removed without taking off the
surround on the walls. I'd like to save and reuse the surround if
possible, but that glue appears to be quite tight. (I was able to pry
back one corner). I'm wondering if there is a special tool or some glue
solvent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone ever removed a plastic glued on tub surround?

I have a 3 piece surround that is in excellent shape, but I have to
remove the tub to do some structural repairs under it. There iw no
other way. The surround overlaps the metal flange at the top of the
porcelain metal tub, so the tub cant be removed without taking off the
surround on the walls. I'd like to save and reuse the surround if
possible, but that glue appears to be quite tight. (I was able to pry
back one corner). I'm wondering if there is a special tool or some glue
solvent?

Tear out the wall(s) on the other side(s), cut the studs at tub level and
ceiling, remove the walls. QED
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone ever removed a plastic glued on tub surround?

I have a 3 piece surround that is in excellent shape, but I have to
remove the tub to do some structural repairs under it. There iw no
other way. The surround overlaps the metal flange at the top of the
porcelain metal tub, so the tub cant be removed without taking off the
surround on the walls. I'd like to save and reuse the surround if
possible, but that glue appears to be quite tight. (I was able to pry
back one corner). I'm wondering if there is a special tool or some
glue solvent?

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...e-tub-surround

Just a couple of points about the link you provided...

First, the OP said he has a 3 piece tub surround, not a 1 piece as
described in the link.

Second, let's assume that the same steps could be followed whether it was a
1 piece or 3 piece surround. I have a 3 piece surround and there is no way
I could use those steps to remove my surround. They say nothing about the
wall board that covers the top and side flanges of the surround or the
screws that hold the surround to the studs or a number of other issues.

Those are some pretty specific removal instructions, not ones that will
work for all installations. My guess is that the OP has something totally
different. He said his was "plastic, glued on". My guess is those
instructions are for a fiberglass surround.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone ever removed a plastic glued on tub surround?

I have a 3 piece surround that is in excellent shape, but I have to
remove the tub to do some structural repairs under it. There iw no
other way. The surround overlaps the metal flange at the top of the
porcelain metal tub, so the tub cant be removed without taking off the
surround on the walls. I'd like to save and reuse the surround if
possible, but that glue appears to be quite tight. (I was able to pry
back one corner). I'm wondering if there is a special tool or some
glue solvent?

I think that there is no way that you will be able to remove the existing
3-piece surround and re-use it. It will crack no matter what you do, and
even if you were able to get it off in one piece (which ain't gonna happen),
it would have globs of glue on the back and won't go back in place
correctly.

With a tile tub surround, people sometimes remove the bottom layer of tiles,
remove the tub, then replace the tub, and put a new bottom row of tiles
back -- usually of a different but compatible color or pattern.

I doubt that you could do something similar by trying to cut the bottom inch
off of the plastic tub surround, leave it in place, remove and replace the
tub, and then put some kind of bottom border along the top of the tub. I
think that won't work, but if you feel like giving that a try, you could and
let us know what happens.

I say, good luck, and good bye existing 3-piece tub surround and hello new
tub surround.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:34:14 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Funny you mentioned cutting off the bottom inch. I was looking at it
again, and that looks like a good option. The problem is what to use to
cover it afterwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:34:14 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I doubt that you could do something similar by trying to cut the bottom inch
off of the plastic tub surround, leave it in place, remove and replace the
tub, and then put some kind of bottom border along the top of the tub. I
think that won't work, but if you feel like giving that a try, you could and
let us know what happens.

Why don't you think that would work? It sounds like you have a good
idea there.

I say, good luck, and good bye existing 3-piece tub surround and hello new
tub surround.

Posted to alt.home.repair

fase econony

the extra hours of removal, the great chance of damaging the existing one, the sub par likely look of it reinstalled, etc etc.

its like putting in a new kitchen but wanting to reuse the old faucet.......

some things arent worth the effort......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I am not sure what would work to cover it afterwards. But, I thought that I
remembered seeing somewhere that in the United Kingdom they sometimes use a
tub border piece instead of silicone caulk around the tub edge where the tub
meets the wall.

I found this image as one possible example:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/self-adhesiv...m/invt/230261/ .

And, I think I recently saw something similar in a Home Depot or Lowes that
people can use to seal the border along the tub where it meets the wall, so
maybe you can go to those types of stores and look and see what they have.

Or, maybe, use ceramic tile trim like one of the ones shown on this page:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/U-S-Ceram...289/202192236# ,

and maybe attach and seal it with ADHESIVE caulk (not regular caulk) like
this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-5-5-o...861/100040837# .

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:34:14 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I doubt that you could do something similar by trying to cut the
bottom inch off of the plastic tub surround, leave it in place,
remove and replace the tub, and then put some kind of bottom border
along the top of the tub. I think that won't work, but if you feel
like giving that a try, you could and let us know what happens.

Why don't you think that would work? It sounds like you have a good
idea there.

I am just not sure that there would be any easy or good way to cut the
bottom inch off without damaging or cracking the plastic tub surround. But,
maybe a sharp utility knife with a straightedge would work.

And then the other question is how to put a new trim piece in along the tub
and wall line after the tub goes back in place. But, maybe one of the trim
ideas that I posted above would work.

OT What is 2.0 Surround? ---MIKE--- Home Repair 2 April 14th 11 12:23 AM
Tub surround help TomYoung Home Repair 1 August 22nd 08 07:06 PM
carefully removing shower surround [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 13th 06 09:26 PM
Removing gas fire surround Grahame UK diy 0 September 17th 05 10:56 PM
Tub Surround Sputnik Home Repair 2 August 26th 04 01:37 AM