Sputnik

Default Tub Surround

Hello,

I'm VERY new to home improvement having just bought for the first time
ever. We have hideous 70s tile in the bathroom that I want to put a
tub surround over. I see these ads for Bath Fitter that will come and
do all the work for you, but I think it would save me a lot of money
to try and do it myself. My question is, do I have to turn off the
water to the bathroom before I attempt any work? I've done some
searching on installing tub surround and seen the DIY stuff on the
web, but none mention turning off the water.

Another question, maybe someone can answer... if I buy my tub surround
at something like Home Depot, can they cut out the holes for the
shower head and faucet?

Thanks very much
Dave Balderstone

In article , Sputnik
wrote:

I've done some
searching on installing tub surround and seen the DIY stuff on the
web, but none mention turning off the water.

Nah, don't worry about it unless you have to remove a tap assembly
(IOW, open the pipe).

Another question, maybe someone can answer... if I buy my tub surround
at something like Home Depot, can they cut out the holes for the
shower head and faucet?

Sure they can! Can you guarantee you'll tell them the right place to
make the cuts?

Are you and they willing to take the risk?

Cautionary questions... You don't want to get burned with a useless
surround because it's been cut wrong.
Sputnik

Dave Balderstone wrote in message stone.ca...
In article , Sputnik
wrote:

I've done some
searching on installing tub surround and seen the DIY stuff on the
web, but none mention turning off the water.

Nah, don't worry about it unless you have to remove a tap assembly
(IOW, open the pipe).

Another question, maybe someone can answer... if I buy my tub surround
at something like Home Depot, can they cut out the holes for the
shower head and faucet?

Sure they can! Can you guarantee you'll tell them the right place to
make the cuts?

Are you and they willing to take the risk?

Cautionary questions... You don't want to get burned with a useless
surround because it's been cut wrong.

Measure twice, cut once right? ;-)
If I cut it myself, what kind of saw should I use? Right now I don't
even own a saw. I borrowed my dad's for our laminate floor install
(and we still have no baseboards which drives my boyfriend crazy - but
thats for another thread).