Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to set a (#$^%~!) ProgrammableThermostat ???????

I just turned on the furnace in this trailer house I'm rebuilding. The
furnace did not start. Then, using a multimeter, I found there was no
power to the burner, because there is a switch on the furnace door that
gets pushed in when the door is shut. Great, I figured that out, but
how the **** is a guy supposed to work on the furnace while using one
hand to hold that damn switch button down. Another "idiot feature".
Needless to say, that got bypassed immediately.

The furnace then attempted to ignite, but stalled. I turned up the
programmable thermostat to 65deg., which was set to 40deg. The furnace
began to work, but soon stopped. I looked at that thermostat. Once
again, it had reset itself to 40deg. WTF?????

All day I've had to keep turning that damn thing back up everytime the
furnace stops. This is ****ing me off!

I'm about ready to go buy one of those old round honeywell thermostats
with the mercury switch. They always worked just fine, and dont need no
damn programming. For one thing, I'm elderly, and almost always at
home. And since this trailer house is my project I'm working on, I turn
up the heat when I'm working on it, and shut it off when I'm done. I
dont need to program anything. Manual control is what I want.

However, before I spend the money on another thermostat, I'm going to
ask on here if anyone can tell me how to make this thermostat work in a
manual manner. In other words, simply stay on the temperature I set it
to. They say us elders have problems with technology, and I'll admit,
I'm one of them.

What I have is this. It's a Honeywell brand. It has a couple switches
on the side. one is to turn on the fan manually, which does nothing.
The other is for AC or HEAT. It's set to HEAT. (there is no AC).
Then there is the digital readout that shows the indoor temp. And shows
the temp I'm setting when I use the up and down arrow buttons.
There are 3 more buttons, one says SET (for setting the clock, I guess).
One says HOLD (WTF is that for?). I cant remember what the other one
says since I'm in my house now.

Can anyone tell me how to set this godamn thing so it stays at the temp
I want????

Thanks

PS. There are two wires that go to the furnace. Putting a jumper across
them makes the furnace run continuously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:26:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Are there any markings such as a model or part number? If you have a model number you should be able to find a manual online. Can you post a photo of the thermostat?

RP
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
By any chance being programmable 'stat does it run on battery? Having
2 wire,. it is basic heat only 'stat. When temp. drops below set point
it closes contact, when it reaches set point it turns furnace off. Why
does he keep saying WTF? Saying that is going to help him? It just raise
his BP.

only two wires
Posted to alt.home.repair

Honeywell makes 4900 different units ..which one is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 6:26 PM, wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to set this godamn thing so it stays at the temp
I want????

Thanks

Just use the up/down buttons to set the temperature that you want and
then press "Hold".

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:26:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The hold button on a prog thermostat tells it to hold the
current set temp indefinitely. It will hold the current
set temp and not change temps according to the programmed
times and temps. Sounds like that' what you want.

You should google for a manual if you don't have one.

I cant remember what the other one

says since I'm in my house now.

Can anyone tell me how to set this godamn thing so it stays at the temp

I want????

Thanks

PS. There are two wires that go to the furnace. Putting a jumper across

them makes the furnace run continuously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Hi,
By any chance being programmable 'stat does it run on battery? Having
2 wire,. it is basic heat only 'stat. When temp. drops below set point
it closes contact, when it reaches set point it turns furnace off. Why
does he keep saying WTF? Saying that is going to help him? It just raise
his BP.

only two wires

LOL!

The -Hold- button is to maintain the currently selected temperature. I
imagine that this thermostat is the type that allows for selecting
different temperatures for different times of the day. Usually they
have 4 set points.

Example: Set from 5-8am to warm dwelling for getting up in the morning.

Set from 8am-4pm to a lower temp if dwelling vacant during this
period of time.

Set from 4pm-11pm to a warmer temp. Say from getting back to dwelling
until bedtime.

Set from 11pm-5am to a lower temp for sleeping temp.

Manually setting the temp will hold that temp until one of the preset time periods,
see example above, is entered, then that periods temp will be active. Pressing the
hold button will maintain current set point--usually until unit is turned off or the
hold button is pressed again, or if the return/cancel button (if present) if pressed.

As someone else stated, a model number would be helpful. Some of these units have
buttons on the exterior, plus a flip cover that allows access to other buttons.
However, it does not sound like this is one of those models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If you tap the hold button it'll hold the setting only for 3 hours.
If you press the button and hold it down for couple seconds, then it'll
go into permanent hold. The display will show it. If you tap schedule
button then it'll go back to original programmed settings.

I cant remember what the other one

says since I'm in my house now.

Can anyone tell me how to set this godamn thing so it stays at the temp

I want????

Thanks

PS. There are two wires that go to the furnace. Putting a jumper across

them makes the furnace run continuously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

If model no. and brand name is known, he can download operating manual
from the 'net in PDF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 7:39 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Honeywell makes 4900 different units ..which one is it?

Killer Loon, living proof that human females should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:41:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

I got the model#. It's a RTH221B. I did find a manual online, and yea,
pressing the HOLD button locks the temperature I set.
Problem solved.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:34:08 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I've had a variety of different thermostats and never saw one
where the first press off the hold button only lasted for 3 hours.
Might work that way on some, but all the typical prog ones the
hold was permanent. The high end VisionPro has a mode where you
can specify the hold to end in X days, for periods where you're
going on vacation, etc, but that isn't the typical case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2013 07:32 AM, wrote:

[snip]

I've had a variety of different thermostats and never saw one
where the first press off the hold button only lasted for 3 hours.
Might work that way on some, but all the typical prog ones the
hold was permanent. The high end VisionPro has a mode where you
can specify the hold to end in X days, for periods where you're
going on vacation, etc, but that isn't the typical case.

My new thermostat has 3 kinds of hold:

"temporary hold" activated by pressing UP or DOWN holds until the next
timed period.

"permanent hold" activated by pressing HOLD hold until "cancel" is pressed.

"vacation hold" activated by pressing HOLD twice holds for a preset
number of days (controlled by UP and DOWN buttons after selecting
vacation hold).

I suspect that the OP's problem has nothing to do with "hold", but by
the thermostat losing power and "forgetting" its settings (the unit has
a 40 degree default to prevent freezing). It's likely a bad battery, or
the thermostat could be wired to get power from the furnace.

--
14 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Status Symbol: n. Something that you don't want, that you buy with
money that you don't have, to impress people that you don't know."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 06:26 PM, wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I think the problem is the thermostat loses power when the furnace goes
off. It "forgets" its settings and goes to 40 degrees (probably set that
way at the factory so as to prevent freezing).

That thermostat probably has a battery that is either failed or missing.

"HOLD" temporarily disables the timer features, which you seem to be not
using. It won't help with this problem.