Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to set a (#$^%~!) ProgrammableThermostat ???????

I just turned on the furnace in this trailer house I'm rebuilding. The
furnace did not start. Then, using a multimeter, I found there was no
power to the burner, because there is a switch on the furnace door that
gets pushed in when the door is shut. Great, I figured that out, but
how the **** is a guy supposed to work on the furnace while using one
hand to hold that damn switch button down. Another "idiot feature".
Needless to say, that got bypassed immediately.

The furnace then attempted to ignite, but stalled. I turned up the
programmable thermostat to 65deg., which was set to 40deg. The furnace
began to work, but soon stopped. I looked at that thermostat. Once
again, it had reset itself to 40deg. WTF?????

All day I've had to keep turning that damn thing back up everytime the
furnace stops. This is ****ing me off!

I'm about ready to go buy one of those old round honeywell thermostats
with the mercury switch. They always worked just fine, and dont need no
damn programming. For one thing, I'm elderly, and almost always at
home. And since this trailer house is my project I'm working on, I turn
up the heat when I'm working on it, and shut it off when I'm done. I
dont need to program anything. Manual control is what I want.

However, before I spend the money on another thermostat, I'm going to
ask on here if anyone can tell me how to make this thermostat work in a
manual manner. In other words, simply stay on the temperature I set it
to. They say us elders have problems with technology, and I'll admit,
I'm one of them.

What I have is this. It's a Honeywell brand. It has a couple switches
on the side. one is to turn on the fan manually, which does nothing.
The other is for AC or HEAT. It's set to HEAT. (there is no AC).
Then there is the digital readout that shows the indoor temp. And shows
the temp I'm setting when I use the up and down arrow buttons.
There are 3 more buttons, one says SET (for setting the clock, I guess).
One says HOLD (WTF is that for?). I cant remember what the other one
says since I'm in my house now.

Can anyone tell me how to set this godamn thing so it stays at the temp
I want????

Thanks

PS. There are two wires that go to the furnace. Putting a jumper across
them makes the furnace run continuously.