Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roll Roofing alternative

Over the years I've used Roll Roofing, which is an asphalt shingl with
grit similar to asphalt shingles, but comes in a 3 foot wide roll. This
stuff has a short lifespan. It tends to buckle up in spots and crack
open and eventually becomes worthless and must be replaced avery five
years or so. I swore I'd never use it again, but I have a cabin/shed
that came with my property that has roll roofing on it. It's been
needing replacement for several years, and I have continued to apply
roofing cement to the bad spots to prolong it, mostly just because both
time and money are short.

At one point, I decided to just replace it with more roll roofing, even
though I knew that was a stupid idea. Thats when I found that the cost
of that stuff has gotten really high. The roof only slopes 2 feet in 14
feet so it's not steep enough for tabbed asphalt shingles. I've pretty
much decided to go with steel roofing, which will only cost about $100
more than roll roofing, (materials) but because of the humps and buckled
spots in the old roll roofing, I'll likely have to strip it all off or
the steel sheets wont screw down evenly. (Or add furring strips under
the steel). Currently money is tight and it's too late in the season to
do this job and risk a snow storm, while I have removed the existing
roofing. But it's begun leaking again, and even after applying a gallon
of roofing cement, it still leaks a little.

I'm wondering if there is another material that can be used that is not
real costly and can be applied right over the existing roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

GAF Ruberoid mop down. They have several different ones on the market.
You'll want the granulated. The stuff comes in what if I can remember, 39"
roll. It only has a 3" overlap, use lap cement on the overlap, the rest
you mop down with ( I can't remember!!) we would pour and trowel instead of
mopping it. Anyways, this stuff you can fold over without breaking like
regular rolled roofing.

Don't go the torch down! It's a good way to burn your place down. Around
this area, torch down is not permitted even by the most experienced
roofers.

Be aware, the rolls are very heavy. You need a good set of legs and strong
back. Also, you need to get at a supply house, you won't find it in the
local yards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 3:04 PM, wrote:
[...]

Florida hurricane roofing comes to mind.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-ft-4-...arp-69249.html

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

[...]

Cheap? Quick because "later" is now here? Blue tarp.

Anything that is going to work on low slope roofing is not going to be
as cheap as it sounds like you want it to be.

Another low slope roofing poroduct is Roof Top Guard.

http://www.rooftopguard.com/en/home.html
http://www.rooftopguard.com/en/installation.html
http://www.rooftopguard.com/upload/p...n9_22_2011.pdf

This gives me the impression you can use it and have 6 months to finish
the job. Not going to be cheap though.

FINAL INSTALLATION: Installing final roofing within 6 months from
initial underlayment application is recommended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 7:34 PM, George wrote:

Don't go the torch down! It's a good way to burn your place down. Around
this area, torch down is not permitted even by the most experienced
roofers.

I can't remember where I heard this. A couple roofers
were not eager to spend the entire day doing torch
down. One suggested that they pour a tiny little bit
of gasoline down the roof. Light it up. It would burn
for a few minuts, warm the roofing, and go out. Wonders,
it lit the whole roof on fire, and the boss wasn't pleased.

A couple experienced roofers burned down the carousel
at Seabreeze Ammusement park in Rochester, NY, a
dozen or so years ago. Literally across the street
from the fire department, too.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

[...]

Do it right and never again. To save from striping old stuff use the furring
strips and Pro Panel
metal roofing. Use the proper screws also. Colored to match panel color and
have rubber (or neoprene) washers under screw head to make leak-proof
installation.
Been there and done that, Trim for peak matches .....WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/18/2013 7:34 PM, George wrote:

Don't go the torch down! It's a good way to burn your place down. Around this
area, torch down is not permitted even by the most
experienced roofers.

I can't remember where I heard this. A couple roofers
were not eager to spend the entire day doing torch
down. One suggested that they pour a tiny little bit
of gasoline down the roof. Light it up. It would burn
for a few minuts, warm the roofing, and go out. Wonders,
it lit the whole roof on fire, and the boss wasn't pleased.

Come-on. You really believe this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 10:40 AM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I can't remember where I heard this. A couple roofers
were not eager to spend the entire day doing torch
down. One suggested that they pour a tiny little bit
of gasoline down the roof. Light it up. It would burn
for a few minuts, warm the roofing, and go out. Wonders,
it lit the whole roof on fire, and the boss wasn't pleased.

Come-on. You really believe this?

Yes! Right after the one said "Hold my beer..."

--
..
Christopher A. Young