Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's involved in? 220 volt socket

I lost the thread, but someone still confused. Here is the original
text, we're commenting:

On 11/11/2013 12:00 AM, Bob wrote:
On 11/10/2013 19:38, wrote:

You just need one of these. A 4 wire dryer cord with a 3 wire
receptacle on it.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/dryer%20adapter.jpg

Be aware that such an adapter violates the separation of the protective
ground and neutral for a 120/240 volt appliance. If your pressure
washer is a "pure" 240 volt device (not needing a neutral, just two hots
and a protective ground), you can use an adapter with a 14-30 plug and
6-30 receptacle.

So, G provides a cord that allows one to plug a
THREE wire device into a FOUR wire socket. That
violates separation of powers.... how?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2013 19:38, wrote:

You just need one of these. A 4 wire dryer cord with a 3 wire
receptacle on it.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/dryer%20adapter.jpg

Be aware that such an adapter violates the separation of the protective
ground and neutral for a 120/240 volt appliance. If your pressure
washer is a "pure" 240 volt device (not needing a neutral, just two hots
and a protective ground), you can use an adapter with a 14-30 plug and
6-30 receptacle.

So, G provides a cord that allows one to plug a
THREE wire device into a FOUR wire socket. That
violates separation of powers.... how?

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase
outlets.

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a
three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of
the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three
terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a neutral.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2013 19:38, wrote:

[...]

In this case, the adapter that G Fretwell made,
was for a 220-1 device, connecting it to a 220-1
socket. The device does not have a neutral, the
socket does. As such, there is no need for people
to storm about separate neutrals, one is not needed.
I know it's futile to ask a Usenet thread to stay
on topic.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2013 11:39 PM, philo wrote:

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase
outlets.

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a
three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of
the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three
terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a neutral.)

From what I know, three phase is typically found in 208 or 440 volt
circuits. Most homes are wired for 220-1 or 240-1, depending who you
talk with. Does anyone know of a home (other than a home machine shop)
that is wired for three phase?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:42:43 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/13/2013 11:39 PM, philo wrote:

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase

outlets.

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a

three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of

the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three

terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a neutral.)

From what I know, three phase is typically found in 208 or 440 volt

circuits. Most homes are wired for 220-1 or 240-1, depending who you

talk with. Does anyone know of a home (other than a home machine shop)

that is wired for three phase?

--

No. And AFAIK, the thread had nothing to do with
3 phase at all. It was just adding about adding a 240V

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 06:42 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/13/2013 11:39 PM, philo wrote:

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase
outlets.

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a
three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of
the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three
terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a
neutral.)

From what I know, three phase is typically found in 208 or 440 volt
circuits. Most homes are wired for 220-1 or 240-1, depending who you
talk with. Does anyone know of a home (other than a home machine shop)
that is wired for three phase?

I have a friend who lived in a small converted warehouse, it had three
phase wiring for the elevator. Not your typical home by any means !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 9:28 AM, philo wrote:

I know the thread had nothing to do with three phase, but three phase
will always have a four prong outlet. I have never seen a four prong
/single phase/ outlet in my life. (Not saying such a thing could not exist)

Christmas is early this year, my friend.

http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/h...g-to-a-3-prong

My treat to you, because you're such a
good person.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 08:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/14/2013 9:28 AM, philo wrote:

I know the thread had nothing to do with three phase, but three phase
will always have a four prong outlet. I have never seen a four prong
/single phase/ outlet in my life. (Not saying such a thing could not
exist)

Christmas is early this year, my friend.

http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/h...g-to-a-3-prong

My treat to you, because you're such a
good person.

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit
too new for me to comprehend!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:22:52 AM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 11/14/2013 08:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 11/14/2013 9:28 AM, philo wrote:

I know the thread had nothing to do with three phase, but three phase

will always have a four prong outlet. I have never seen a four prong

/single phase/ outlet in my life. (Not saying such a thing could not

exist)

Christmas is early this year, my friend.

http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/h...g-to-a-3-prong

My treat to you, because you're such a

good person.

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit

too new for me to comprehend!

If your experience is limited to what existed in 1932 era code,
then perhaps you should refrain from giving advice to folks asking
about installing a 240V receptacle today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 10:22 AM, philo wrote:

Christmas is early this year, my friend.

http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/h...g-to-a-3-prong
My treat to you, because you're such a
good person.

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit
too new for me to comprehend!

Did you know that nutty Spaniard? Columbus
sailed the ocean blue, in nineteen hundred
thirty two, yo ho! yo ho!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 10:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/14/2013 10:22 AM, philo wrote:

Christmas is early this year, my friend.

http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/h...g-to-a-3-prong

My treat to you, because you're such a
good person.

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit
too new for me to comprehend!

Did you know that nutty Spaniard? Columbus
sailed the ocean blue, in nineteen hundred
thirty two, yo ho! yo ho!

here is one for you

On September 25, 1513 Balboa discovered the Pacific Ocean.

The Australians,
who had been facing inland for millenia,
turned around in surprise,
and fished.

On that day,
the Japanese,
who had been facing inland for millenia,
turned around and said:
I'll be damned, a lake!

On that day,
the Native Americans who had been camped on its shores,
Turned around and said:
Funny we never looked in that direction before,
things have been a bit hectic lately.

History lessons were made.
Reminds me of the time in 1492 when,
the Bahamians discovered,
Columbus in their midst,
Turned around and told each other:
We're ****ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oops, my error

Though we have a gas range, there used to be an electric one and it is a
4 wire outlet.

The two hots and neutral are all # 8 plus a safety ground that looks
like #14, I should have looked first before I said I never saw such a setup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:07:56 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 11/14/2013 09:54 AM, wrote:

My treat to you, because you're such a

good person.

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit

too new for me to comprehend!

If your experience is limited to what existed in 1932 era code,

then perhaps you should refrain from giving advice to folks asking

about installing a 240V receptacle today.

Nope, I was a Senior Service Engineer with 38 years of

experience...recently retired. I worked in an industrial environment and

am familiar with AC power distribution.

However , regulations vary from state to state in Wisconsin it's not

necessarily done the way it's done elsewhere, that's why the local

electrical code needs to be consulted.

Most states and municipalities follow the NEC,
with some exceptions. I doubt requiring a 4 wire connection
for new construction 240V dryer, stoves, etc is one of them.
And there are millions of 4 wire connections out there, the fact
that you don't know that and instead are diverting off into
3 phase, means that you shouldn't be giving advice.

Go to any appliance manufacturer and read the install manuals and
it will tell you that the 240V dryer, stove etc. should be hooked up to 4 wires, if available. It's not unusual, it's the preferred,
code compliant way today. If you have a cite for Wisconsin
code that says otherwise, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 12:19 PM, philo wrote:
Though we have a gas range, there used to be an electric one and it is a
4 wire outlet.

The two hots and neutral are all # 8 plus a safety ground that looks
like #14, I should have looked first before I said I never saw such a
setup.

Well, maybe you didn't see it? I do that all the time.
Stuff in my house, and I find it later.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 12:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/14/2013 12:19 PM, philo wrote:
Though we have a gas range, there used to be an electric one and it is a
4 wire outlet.

The two hots and neutral are all # 8 plus a safety ground that looks
like #14, I should have looked first before I said I never saw such a
setup.

Well, maybe you didn't see it? I do that all the time.
Stuff in my house, and I find it later.

Well, all I can say is that as soon as I find I am in error, I admit it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 1:37 PM, philo wrote:
On 11/14/2013 12:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Well, maybe you didn't see it? I do that all the time.
Stuff in my house, and I find it later.

Well, all I can say is that as soon as I find I am in error, I admit it.

That's rare, now days. When I'm in error, uh,
ain't tellin.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 12:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/14/2013 1:37 PM, philo wrote:
On 11/14/2013 12:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Well, maybe you didn't see it? I do that all the time.
Stuff in my house, and I find it later.

Well, all I can say is that as soon as I find I am in error, I admit it.

That's rare, now days. When I'm in error, uh,
ain't tellin.

When I was still working I found out that if I was wrong and admitted it
at once, I never got in trouble. Many times people were too surprised to
say much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2013 2:13 PM, philo wrote:

When I was still working I found out that if I was wrong and admitted it
at once, I never got in trouble. Many times people were too surprised to
say much.

I've had a few similar experiences.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:28:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Exactly. And since:

A - 3 phase was not mentioned.
B - Only a miniscule percentage of homes are going
to have 3 phase

Why is someone talking about 3 phase?

Lack of reading comprehension.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:19:08 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
Though we have a gas range, there used to be an electric one and it is a

4 wire outlet.

The two hots and neutral are all # 8 plus a safety ground that looks

like #14, I should have looked first before I said I never saw such a setup.

I give you credit for correcting the error of your ways.
Many here won't admit they are ever wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2013 19:38, wrote:

You just need one of these. A 4 wire dryer cord with a 3 wire
receptacle on it.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/dryer%20adapter.jpg

Be aware that such an adapter violates the separation of the protective
ground and neutral for a 120/240 volt appliance. If your pressure
washer is a "pure" 240 volt device (not needing a neutral, just two hots
and a protective ground), you can use an adapter with a 14-30 plug and
6-30 receptacle.

So, G provides a cord that allows one to plug a
THREE wire device into a FOUR wire socket. That
violates separation of powers.... how?

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase
outlets.

Nothing said about 3 phase

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a
three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of
the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three
terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

Nope. Code today REQUIRES 4 wire - L1, L2, Neutral, and safety
ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a neutral.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:26:40 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 11/14/2013 06:42 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/13/2013 11:39 PM, philo wrote:

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase
outlets.

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a
three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of
the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three
terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a
neutral.)

From what I know, three phase is typically found in 208 or 440 volt
circuits. Most homes are wired for 220-1 or 240-1, depending who you
talk with. Does anyone know of a home (other than a home machine shop)
that is wired for three phase?

I have a friend who lived in a small converted warehouse, it had three
phase wiring for the elevator. Not your typical home by any means !

Large majority of multi unit residential buildings are 120/208 3
phase - each unit only sees the single phase service.