Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

Default Will Salt prevent toilet and traps from freezing

To prevent toilet and traps from freezing in an unheated mobile home
this winter I know that most people put either regular anti-freeze or RV
anti-freeze in the toilet bowl and sink traps. But this trailer wont be
connected to water or a sewer until at least next summer. It's just
intended to be used for a guest house and storage. It's sitting on
blocks, and close to being level, but that is all I plan to do to it
before winter except repair the broken windows. When warm weather
returns, I'll re-check the levelness and then connect the utilities.

In the meantime, there is still some water in the toilet and probably
the sink traps. I drained the water heater and pipes. I may just
remove the sink traps and that will solve them. But it's impossible to
get all the water out of a toilet without removing it.

Anyhow, when I connect this to the water next summer, I dont want
anti-freeze pouring out on the ground under the trailer, which could
poison pets and so on. I know the RV anti-freeze is not as poisonous as
the regular type, but still is not good for the environment and animals.
I'm wondering if simply pouring a cup or two of table salt into the
toilet bowl would work. Besides being cheaper, it would not harm
anything when it's flushed out on the ground. Will it work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 8, 2013 8:38:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Depends on how cold it gets. Salt water will freeze at lower temps than fresh but when it freezes depends on how much salt is in it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I would imagine that a shop vac would get enough water out of the toilets
so that it was no longer an issue. I've sucked toilets almost dry before
removing them. Well, the shop vac sucked them dry, not me.

You could adapt the hose with a smaller one to ensure it gets deep down
into trap. If the toilet is not connected to anything underneath, wouldn't
any tiny bit of water left have room to expand?
Senior Member

I agree with the idea of sucking the remaining water out of the bowl siphon channel with a wet/dry vaccuum.

You can buy an adapter at Home Depot to connect the normal 2 1/2 inch vaccuum hose used by Sears and Shop Vac wet/dry vaccuum cleaners to a 5/8 inch diameter garden hose. I use that kind of adapter to suck the water out of copper piping before soldering.

If you twist the hose while pushing it into the toilet bowl, you should be able to get all the way through the siphon channel.

Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Depends on how cold it gets. After all, the Arctic Sea freezes.

But I'm not sure why you care if they freeze. It's not like a pipe which is
full of water which has no where to go if it freezes. If the water in your
traps freezes wouldn't it just expand hamlessly into the empty portions?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 22:38:56 -0600, wrote:

To prevent toilet and traps from freezing in an unheated mobile home
this winter I know that most people put either regular anti-freeze or RV
anti-freeze in the toilet bowl and sink traps. But this trailer wont be
connected to water or a sewer until at least next summer. It's just
intended to be used for a guest house and storage. It's sitting on

Guest room, I think. Guest houses usually include water!

blocks, and close to being level, but that is all I plan to do to it
before winter except repair the broken windows. When warm weather
returns, I'll re-check the levelness and then connect the utilities.

In the meantime, there is still some water in the toilet and probably
the sink traps. I drained the water heater and pipes. I may just
remove the sink traps and that will solve them. But it's impossible to
get all the water out of a toilet without removing it.

How high is the water level? To the top of the channel, the porcelain
tube that exits the bowl? I'm not a doctor of toiletology, but it
seems to me you could lower the water level below that with a toilet
plunger. If there are no other openings, like to a dishwasher, you
could do the same thing with sink traps.

I'm not a doctor of toiletology, but I don't think mere water can
damage pipes or toilets unless the water is high enough then when it
freezes, it pushes against something and breaks it. A half inch, an
inch of water in the bottom of a 2" passage will freeze and expand but
won't meet any resistance and will just get bigger. Like a bowl of
water will freeze and the water level will rise a little but it won't
break the bowl. If you're not sure of this, put an old bowl with
water in the freezer and see what happens.

Anyhow, when I connect this to the water next summer, I dont want
anti-freeze pouring out on the ground under the trailer, which could
poison pets and so on. I know the RV anti-freeze is not as poisonous as
the regular type, but still is not good for the environment and animals.
I'm wondering if simply pouring a cup or two of table salt into the
toilet bowl would work. Besides being cheaper, it would not harm
anything when it's flushed out on the ground. Will it work?

That seems like a good idea. Maybe it was a bad idea when drain
pipes were made of metal, but everything in my house is plastic or
porcelain. I haven't read yet what the DT's say. If you shorten
yoru question to bare bones, it might be something a good plumber
would answer on the phone for no charge. 4PM (or 30/60 minutes before
closing might be a good time to call. They've finished their paper
work and sometimes have nothing to do.
Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 05:40:24 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I guess that the salty water will then freeze. I didn't think it would.

A toilet will crack faster than a pipe will burst. Porcelin has no
"give", whereas a metal pipe will expand a little before bursting, since
metal can stretch. I've seen many toilets break from freezing in
abandoned homes and had one of mine break years ago, when the furnece
quit working. I also had a spare toilet stored outside and even though
I thought it was covered, some rain water must have gotten inside. When
Spring came, it was split in several pieces.

As far as traps, it seems that the plastic ones tend to pop apart more
often than break, but the old brass ones would split wide open.

I guess I'll just remove the traps, and give a try to the using a shop
vac on the toilet, and probably add a little RV anti-freeze too. When I
drain the system in spring, I'll have to put a pail under the trailer's
drain pipe and dispose of the contents in a safe place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 8, 2013 11:38:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. It's not poisonous at all. That's why it's labled as non-toxic
right on the container. It's made for winterizing among other things,
potable fresh water systems. I used it for many years on my boat.

I'm wondering if simply pouring a cup or two of table salt into the

toilet bowl would work. Besides being cheaper, it would not harm

anything when it's flushed out on the ground. Will it work?

Except of course the plants, insects, etc that it kills from the
salt.

It will lower the freezing point, but if it gets cold enough it
will still freeze. You live in SC or Alaska?
Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2013 11:38 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'd flush the toilet, and then use a turkey baster or
sponge to get the rest of the water out of the tank,
and out of the trap. Salt water is corrosive to metals.

Sorry, friend. So much for "impossible".

Please be sure to use a compressor, and blow out the
water lines. Any low spot may freeze, and crack.
Might still be some water in there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2013 1:26 AM, nestork wrote:
I agree with the idea of sucking the remaining water out of the bowl
siphon channel with a wet/dry vaccuum.

You can buy an adapter at Home Depot to connect the normal 2 1/2 inch
vaccuum hose used by Sears and Shop Vac wet/dry vaccuum cleaners to a
5/8 inch diameter garden hose. I use that kind of adapter to suck the
water out of copper piping before soldering.

If you twist the hose while pushing it into the toilet bowl, you should
be able to get all the way through the siphon channel.

Might be able to use the shopvac air discharge,
and blow the water through the trap onto the ground
under the trailer. Pack around the hose with heavy
towel, and turn the shop vac on. Be the first man
in your street to have blown a toilet trap.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 22:38:56 -0600, wrote:

But this trailer wont be
connected to water or a sewer until at least next summer. It's just
intended to be used for a guest house and storage.

Guest room, I think. Guest houses usually include water!

Guest house. Read the first line left quoted above. He said the water will
be hooked up next summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

living in a cold in winter area its common knowledge salt doesnt melt ice much below freezing. plus salt is highly corrosive.

better to use rv antifreeze,

or do the best you can and accept ssome frozen pipes...

even blown down lines can freeze and break.....

or send the home on a winter vacation to florida;0
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
living in a cold in winter area its common knowledge salt doesnt melt ice
much below freezing. plus salt is highly corrosive.

Define "much below freezing".*

Sodium chloride lowers the freezing temp of water to about 15F in real
world conditions, even lower in the lab.

Magnesium chloride melts ice down to about 5F.

* I once worked for the IT director of a Fortune 500 company. If you were
in a project status meeting and she asked for a cost or a time frame, etc.
and you answered with "It won't cost much" or "It won't take very long"
there would be a very good chance that you wouldn't be invited back to her
meetings. You can't plan things around values like "not much" or "not very
long".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2013 10:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

* I once worked for the IT director of a Fortune 500 company. If you were
in a project status meeting and she asked for a cost or a time frame, etc.
and you answered with "It won't cost much" or "It won't take very long"
there would be a very good chance that you wouldn't be invited back to her
meetings. You can't plan things around values like "not much" or "not very
long".

Yet we all know people that plan their entire lives like that.
Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

You would need to test the salt content, by using a salometer. Optimum
content would be between 88 & 92%, but the higher the better. Even then,
it would only be good for 20 degrees F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/9/2013 10:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

* I once worked for the IT director of a Fortune 500
company. If you
were in a project status meeting and she asked for a cost
or a time
frame, etc. and you answered with "It won't cost much" or
"It won't
take very long" there would be a very good chance that
you wouldn't
be invited back to her meetings. You can't plan things
around values
like "not much" or "not very long".

Yet we all know people that plan their entire lives like
that.

Man plans and God laughsg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:47:34 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

[...]

Good point. The eutectic point for brine is -21C (-6F), so it's not
going to be a very good antifreeze for an unheated building in
Canuckistan. Propylene glycol is a much better idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 07:43:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 11/9/2013 1:26 AM, nestork wrote:
I agree with the idea of sucking the remaining water out of the bowl
siphon channel with a wet/dry vaccuum.

You can buy an adapter at Home Depot to connect the normal 2 1/2 inch
vaccuum hose used by Sears and Shop Vac wet/dry vaccuum cleaners to a
5/8 inch diameter garden hose. I use that kind of adapter to suck the
water out of copper piping before soldering.

If you twist the hose while pushing it into the toilet bowl, you should
be able to get all the way through the siphon channel.

Might be able to use the shopvac air discharge,
and blow the water through the trap onto the ground
under the trailer. Pack around the hose with heavy
towel, and turn the shop vac on. Be the first man
in your street to have blown a toilet trap.

Or compressed air from a portable tank. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 12:12:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/9/2013 10:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

* I once worked for the IT director of a Fortune 500 company. If you were
in a project status meeting and she asked for a cost or a time frame, etc.
and you answered with "It won't cost much" or "It won't take very long"
there would be a very good chance that you wouldn't be invited back to her
meetings. You can't plan things around values like "not much" or "not very
long".

Yet we all know people that plan their entire lives like that.

Do you plan your life to the nanosecond?
Posted to alt.mobilehome,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 12:22:01 -0500, "Culvert" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The eutectic mix (23.3% NaCl by weight) freezes at -6F. More is not
better. At saturation (not much more, at 26.2%) brine freezes at 32F.

Sol Freezing Pt
% C F
24 -17.00 -1.4
25 -10.40 13.3
26 -2.30 27.9
26.3 -0.00 32.00 definition point for the Fahrenheit scale

http://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/sgpu...ubs/h99002.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

The salt/brine onto the ground next Spring will harm plant life in the vicinity of the drop point. I would also worry about the brine/salt damaging any non-plastic pipes in the system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:40:24 AM UTC-8, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Nope. I gave my take-out (good toilet but needed a "handicap" one) to a buddy but he didn't pick it up. I left it out in the open, rained, broke. Not at the trap but in the siphon area in front of the bowl.

Harry K