Amun

wrote in message
oups.com...
The cost of water/sewer is not a factor as we are not metered, (hot
water of course cost money).

The fan would be delivering warmer/dryer interior heated air to a
colder damper basement. I don't understand why mold would be an issue.

Insulating the interior walls of the crawl space with insulating boards
probably would help to "seal-off" the crawl space from the outside
environment. Maybe thats something I should consider. I guess I would
just need to cut them to size and use a "liquid nail" type of product
to secure them to the foundation, correct?

The person living in the house will let the distant most faucet slowly
run during intense cold spells as well as leave cabinet doors under
sinks open.

I have also read about placing 100 watt lamps near plumbing on timers
to add additional warmth.

Uh,.....and you afraid of the heated pipe tapes/wraps ????

AMUN

Default An idea to prevent pipes from freezing in crawl space.

I've thought about installing those automatic foundation vents but was
uncertain as to how difficult installation would be.

The current vents in my crawl space are nothing more than one cinder
block placed "sideways" to allow the openings to be exposed from
outside to inside.

I guess I would need to purchase a small circular saw with masonary
blade to cut out these vent blocks.

It appears like the foundation vents get mounted from the sides by some
type of fastening method.

Ever install any? If so, exactly how difficult a process.

Have you ever heard of a fire originating from a foundation vent?

David Martel

I have also read about placing 100 watt lamps near plumbing on timers
to add additional warmth.

I don't get it. You're afraid of heat tape but want to use light bulbs?
Is the person living in this cabin is unlikely to notice that the level of
water outside means that the crawl space is flooded? When the crawl space
floods doesn't that mean that it is too warm for the pipes to freeze?
What's wrong with heat tape?

Dave M.

I actually never stated that I wanted to use 100 watt lamps. It was
just another recommendation that I read about.

I truthfully don't think there is anything wrong with properly
installed and regularly checked and replaced heat tape. Regular
inspection of the heat tape in this crawl space would be a cumbersome,
dirty project that I would like to avoid.

I would much rather not get involved with bringing any electrical
current into the crawl space if possible.

In the past there have been several houses burn down from electrical
type of events. From what I was told the salt air over time will cause
a corrosion to develop between copper splices in electical boxes. Over
time with increased corrosion you now get arcing of current rather than
direct connections. Arcing generates heat and goodbye house.

Thus.....I'd rather keep electric connections out of the crawl.

Amun

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you ever heard of a fire originating from a foundation vent?

Not yet.
But if you let us know the town you're working in, we'll be sure to keep an
eye on the local newspapers.

AMUN

Goedjn

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:41:25 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

I have also read about placing 100 watt lamps near plumbing on timers
to add additional warmth.

I don't get it. You're afraid of heat tape but want to use light bulbs?
Is the person living in this cabin is unlikely to notice that the level of
water outside means that the crawl space is flooded? When the crawl space
floods doesn't that mean that it is too warm for the pipes to freeze?
What's wrong with heat tape?

Heat tape on a GFI outlet on an AFI circut, that should address any
rational fears.
David Martel

I had these retrofitted on my house. You make an appropriately sized
hole, Slide in the vent and tighten two screws, The screws press against the
sides of the hole and secure the vent by friction.
I'm uncomfortable with the notion of insulating your crawl space. Since
this space regularly floods the insulation will wick up moisture and hold it
against your framing.

Dave M.

Freezing pipes ******************************************************* Rettgerinc Metalworking 25 January 4th 05 02:59 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Replacing old pipes pmr Home Repair 9 December 9th 04 10:24 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM