Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wifi thermometers

Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2013 4:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.

Get one which uses an app for your smartphone, um, that is, if you use a
smartphone, otherwise, you will need a computer. I do believe most, if
not all, do use apps, but double check the one you purchase. The name
brands will have apps.

I have a Lennox furnace/ac system which came with it's own touch screen
wifi thermostat/thermometer. I am able to control the temp and program
from ANYWHERE I can get connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
On 11/8/2013 4:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.

Get one which uses an app for your smartphone, um, that is, if you use a
smartphone, otherwise, you will need a computer. I do believe most, if
not all, do use apps, but double check the one you purchase. The name
brands will have apps.

I have a Lennox furnace/ac system which came with it's own touch screen
wifi thermostat/thermometer. I am able to control the temp and program
from ANYWHERE I can get connection.

Hi,
That is through the Internet. WiFi is connected to your router.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2013 8:51 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Meanie wrote:
[...]

No, it's connected via WiFi. The same as my garage door opener and some
lighting in my house. Technically, WiFi uses the internet to gain remote
access but it's still WiFi. All WiFi can be accessed by anyone if they
know the code/password via the internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-09-2013, 08:14, Meanie wrote:
No, it's connected via WiFi. The same as my garage door opener and some
lighting in my house. Technically, WiFi uses the internet to gain remote
access but it's still WiFi. All WiFi can be accessed by anyone if they
know the code/password via the internet.

Not so. The code/password/key/etc. authenticates the WiFi device to the
access point (AP), often part of the router, but not necessarily. The
internet side of the access point is reached by an IP address, which has
no password. There may be, however, something else BETWEEN the AP and
the internet that restricts access in some other way.
Usually, this is the router and most home routers don't allow anything
outside to initiate a connection.

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2013 1:49 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-09-2013, 08:14, Meanie wrote:
No, it's connected via WiFi. The same as my garage door opener and some
lighting in my house. Technically, WiFi uses the internet to gain remote
access but it's still WiFi. All WiFi can be accessed by anyone if they
know the code/password via the internet.

Not so. The code/password/key/etc. authenticates the WiFi device to the
access point (AP), often part of the router, but not necessarily. The
internet side of the access point is reached by an IP address, which has
no password. There may be, however, something else BETWEEN the AP and
the internet that restricts access in some other way.
Usually, this is the router and most home routers don't allow anything
outside to initiate a connection.

But all can still be accessed via internet if the capability arises.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 18:27:43 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

On 11/8/2013 4:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.

Get one which uses an app for your smartphone, um, that is, if you use a
smartphone, otherwise, you will need a computer. I do believe most, if
not all, do use apps, but double check the one you purchase. The name
brands will have apps.

I have a Lennox furnace/ac system which came with it's own touch screen
wifi thermostat/thermometer. I am able to control the temp and program
from ANYWHERE I can get connection.

We bought a Nest for our other house while it was vacant. It works
really well and is fairly simple to install on pretty much any system.
it doesn't meet the OP's requirement of "not a thermostat", though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/2013 01:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.

Sure, just open a port on your router and use RDP or VPN to gain access
to your home network. If it is visible on your computer, then you can
make it visible to yourself as a remote client.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/13, 4:59 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.

Take a look at this one
http://store.lacrossetechnology.com/...d-alert-system

"Use a smartphone, tablet or computer to receive alerts and remotely
monitor temperature and humidity levels"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Retired wrote:

http://store.lacrossetechnology.com/...itor-and-alert
-system

Thanks. I'll check into it.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 16:59:22 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Do most of the Wifi thermometers (NOT thermostats) have the ability to
access them from WAY for away. I am looking for a (relatively) cheap way
to keep tabs on the temp in my house while I am traveling. Can't tell
from just the descriptions on Amazon if they work like that and whether
I need to have a computer handy or if they can be accessed directly from
the router/modem.

I installed a Nest thermostat a few months ago. Its app allows me to
monitor and adjust the furnace and set scheduling from anywhere.
Installation was fairly painless but you MAY need atleast a
three-conductor thermostat cable depending on the brand you buy. The
Nest thermostat is a computer so it needs two power wires, and then
the extra heat wire going back to the furnace. My old thermostat was a
typical old school two-wire mercury switch type so I had to run a new
3 conductor cable through a couple walls.

Something you may not have even thought about are the extra
possibilities that a modern thermostat might give you such as
monitoring energy and /or gas consumption. I had heard that Nest
supposedly provided some daily data but I quickly found they DO NOT
currently give you detailed start and runtime data. The bloody
thermostat sends this data to Nest and all they give out is a monthly
email telling me how many stupid green leafs I've earned. There is a
daily bargraph showing approximate start times (but no runtime), and a
daily total to the nearest quarter-hour.Inaccurate data is useless
data to me.

To interface my furnace to my existing smarthome system I ended up
installing a relay on the gas valve to signal to the smarthome stuff
that the furnace is on or off. I get an email now from my furnace on
each event! I'm able to enter this into a spreadsheet which gives me
total daily runtime and other nerdy stuff that most people probably
aren't interested in.

Sooooo, shop around and see which ones come with a phone app and then
do some further reading to find out what other features it may offer
you. The Nest thermostat has many advanced features, most of which
I've turned off, and it's very pricey. You will have to balance the
options against what you're willing to shell out.

Keep us informed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Does Nest have emergency fall back setting? Like when RTA temp. on your
furnace is falling below dangerous freezing point for some malfunction,
can it fall back to safe temp setting automatically?
In another word, does it have RTA temp sensor signal into the 'stat?
My Honeywell WiFi 'stat has that as an option and it was a matter of
drilling little hole on the RTA plenum and install sensor and run a wire
to the interface control module.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Measuring stuff is as good a hobby as any.
I'm sure you can come up with situations where it might be important
to monitor remotely in real time.

But for most of us, it's just a potentially expensive hobby.

IMHO, the only reason to have data is if you're gonna use it to make
tomorrow better by changing something.

Most of us live uneventful/predictable lives. What happens today
is gonna be very much like what happened yesterday. On average, our
existence is average.

You probably have dials on your gas meter and your electric meter
that you can watch go around.
If you've done the math and have installed the cost-effective
weatherization,
what more can you do?

You don't need real-time monitoring to know that taking shorter
and colder showers costs less money.
You don't need real-time monitoring to know that turning down
the thermostat saves heating $$$.

So, use less to the greatest extent you can stand. Not much more to be
done.

I programmed a PALM Pilot to watch the flashing light on the smart
electric utility meter. I can see a graph of usage history.
It was fun for about a week to watch the water heater go on and off.
And see every time I ran the microwave to heat up coffee. But it
hasn't changed my coffee habits one bit.
Twice, when I bothered to look at the readout, I went searching for
unintended power use and found the attic lights on. Saved me nowhere
near the cost of the monitoring system.

I programmed another PALM to monitor the furnace fan. I can graph
gas usage (the translation from fan to gas is straightforward math)
in real time. Once, I could tell that the furnace was malfunctioning,
but only after I felt cold and went to check.

One interesting thing I found was that the thermal time constant
of the house was very long. Temperature setback for a few hours
at a time saved almost nothing. Took damn near as many BTU's
to reheat the house as were saved by the setback.
YMMV if everybody in the house stays away for long periods of time.

Bottom line is that people should reduce ALL their energy usage
to the minimum they can tolerate.
If checking the consumption of the fridge causes you to buy a new
fridge...it did for me...then do it. Further monitoring is not helpful.

Most of us already have all the monitoring tools we need sitting
right outside the house on the utility meters.

Don't monitor anything if the result won't change the future.

But it can be a fun hobby...till you get bored and move on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

If you are still looking for WiFi thermometer with access from "away" - have a look there a href="http://www.wispher.net/wisphert.php"WiSpherT/a

Cheers,