Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Iron and ? in well water....

Curious about stuff in water line to my pond, which is a fibber-mcgee
arrangement of clear plastic tubing hooked to outside hose faucet. It
is 1/4" ID and simply lies across the lawn for 100' because I'm too old
to dig a trench for the dang thing. It got plugged up, after working
fine all summer (exposed to full sun), so I cut off the end nearest the
pump...started there because it looked like that end had the most
sediment in it, and that got it running again. I dug some of the gunk
out of it, out of curiosity, and it is really strange...it had formed
what looked like a membrane around the outside of the plug, and the
inner stuff was like decomposed vegetative stuff. Algae? What grows in
well water? I knew it was loaded with iron, as watering lawn will stain
anything it hits, and household water is fine with water softener.

Another curiosity with the water is that running faucets, sometimes the
kitchen and always one of two bath sinks, the water seems to pulsate
like a heartbeat. Sign of pump trouble?

The house might be somewhat posessed (might as well mention this whilst
I'm at it)...ice maker on the Frigidaire has quit working twice for long
periods of time; most recently, we had neighborhood power outage for a
couple of hours night before last. Next morning, the ice maker resumed
working and still works. I did a search online last time to see what
might be wrong, and it sounded like it would the the regulator thingy on
the back of the friggin fridge, which is too expensive to bother with if
we buy it and DIY repairs. Water line for fridge from pipe to fridge is
plastic, about 15-ish feet long....I'm not fond of overhead repairs, as
they make my neck creak. Water runs from the door faucet, a tad
slow....not enough pressure to get the icemaker cranking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2013 4:18 AM, Norminn wrote:
[...]

Bacteria grow in well water. More so when exposed to warmth from
sunlight. All well water has bacteria. On rare exception they come from
septic contamination and are harmfull.

One house we had in Central Oregon had bacteria that fed on the iron in
the steel pipe going down the well. Our current house well does not do
that, but has other bacteria that do just what you described in our
irrigation system.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 07:18:18 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Curious about stuff in water line to my pond, which is a fibber-mcgee
arrangement of clear plastic tubing hooked to outside hose faucet. It
is 1/4" ID and simply lies across the lawn for 100' because I'm too old
to dig a trench for the dang thing. It got plugged up, after working
fine all summer (exposed to full sun), so I cut off the end nearest the
pump...started there because it looked like that end had the most
sediment in it, and that got it running again. I dug some of the gunk
out of it, out of curiosity, and it is really strange...it had formed
what looked like a membrane around the outside of the plug, and the
inner stuff was like decomposed vegetative stuff. Algae? What grows in
well water?

Well mites?

I knew it was loaded with iron, as watering lawn will stain
anything it hits, and household water is fine with water softener.

Another curiosity with the water is that running faucets, sometimes the
kitchen and always one of two bath sinks, the water seems to pulsate
like a heartbeat. Sign of pump trouble?

Giant well mites.

The house might be somewhat posessed (might as well mention this whilst
I'm at it)...ice maker on the Frigidaire has quit working twice for long
periods of time; most recently, we had neighborhood power outage for a
couple of hours night before last. Next morning, the ice maker resumed
working and still works. I did a search online last time to see what
might be wrong, and it sounded like it would the the regulator thingy on
the back of the friggin fridge, which is too expensive to bother with if
we buy it and DIY repairs. Water line for fridge from pipe to fridge is
plastic, about 15-ish feet long....I'm not fond of overhead repairs, as
they make my neck creak. Water runs from the door faucet, a tad
slow....not enough pressure to get the icemaker cranking?

Just kidding. There are no well mites afaik.