Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removal of both Iron and Tannin from Well Water

Hi,

Hoping someone out there has some additional ideas.

We are on a well. The whole area I live in is known to have bad water.
In ours we have a tripple whammy of hard water, iron and tannin.

We right now have a 3 stage treatment process. First is an multimedia
filter (green sand) to remove the iron, then a water softner and
finally a tannin removal filter and after that a big blue cartridge
filter and a UV filter.

However, lately they just are not keeping up on the tannin side. Our
water is still a yellow/brown color and occasionally has an odor to it.

We have replaced the media in the iron filter and that helped a bit.
Right now I am using a product called Res-Up to help remove the iron
build up in the water softner and soda ash to help remove it from the
tannin filter, but it really is not helping.

I understand water with both iron and tannin is doubley tough to
process.

Are there other solutions I should be looking at? Is chlorination an
option? Anything else?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Alan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alan
Alpha water systems INC. had this in their faq..Aside from their
obvious advertising maybe there's info You can adapt to Your
system..Maybe You can combine types of resin or use more than one
softener in series..I would think Your softeners' Manufacturer could
tell You what is safe..
Dean

"Will a softener remove iron/red stains?"
In many cases it will! It depends upon the levels of Iron present. We
manufacture Iron units for heavy Iron problems. Please contact us for
correct Iron-Softener combinations for maximum life.973-293-7856

"Will a softener remove tannin?"
It can. By replacing the typical CATION media in the softener tank with
an ANION resin, it will remove tannin. Use Model FGA-60T.

"Will a softener remove nitrates?"
It can. By replacing the typical CATION media in the softener tank with
a special nitrate resin, it will remove nitrates. Use Model FGA-60N.

"Will a softener remove radium?"
It can. By replacing the typical CATION media in the softener tank with
a special radium resin, it will remove radium. Use Model FGA-120MJR.

Alan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Alan, Ooey wrote:
awhitehouse wrote:

[...]

I know you posted this quite awhile ago, but if you're still having an
issue I'll give you some advice. You've probably got at least a $4000
system running in your home and on top of that you have to buy salt
continuously and it is still not doing the job. Tannin is from oak trees,
your well is likely not deep enough. My system cost me $3900 plus tons of
salt constantly. I had a new well drilled for $4300 going down much deeper
and eliminated all of the tannin and 95% of my other problems. I still run
my system, but even without it my water is pretty great. I rarely have to
buy salt now and everything in my house that my water is running through
is not getting eaten away and ruined. In 3 years with my system running
full boar I went through 6 faucets, a hot water heater, a bladder tank,
the pipe running down to my water pump, numerous bellows for my washing
machine, and everything in my house had to be cleaned regularly with ash
and they were still stained.