Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beaten by a switch

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2013 07:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

My guess would be to pull harder, possibly using a piece of wood behind
the cross piece to use as a lever.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
On 11/03/2013 07:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

My guess would be to pull harder, possibly using a piece of wood behind
the cross piece to use as a lever.

Jon

Hmm,
Yes but I know one thing if you remove it a few times
it gets loose. I'd just cover it with masking tape and start painting
instread losing time on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2013 10:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dadi,

Tight "push-ons" can often be levered off using a couple of soup spoons
as levers.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 10:26:48 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Instructions say to "firmly" pull the knob off. Is there a tab
visible, you can depress and pull it off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the
switch/receptacle covers. One of the boxes has a
Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch has a cross
piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's
a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed.
The obvious solution is "remove the cross piece". My
question is, "How?" I've tried pulling, twisting and
prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I
put in the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Instructions say to "firmly" pull the knob off. Is there
a tab visible, you can depress and pull it off?

No tab that I see. Where did you find instructions?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dadi,

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/030477J.pdf

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the
switch/receptacle covers. One of the boxes has a
Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch has a cross
piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's
a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed.
The obvious solution is "remove the cross piece". My
question is, "How?" I've tried pulling, twisting and
prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I
put in the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Instructions say to "firmly" pull the knob off. Is there
a tab visible, you can depress and pull it off?

No tab that I see. Where did you find instructions?

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/030477J.pdf

lower right hand corner of first page
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 10:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Can't you pry the cover at the ends then twist it around and fit it
through the slot?

--
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:03:15 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 11/03/2013 10:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

You aren't the only exception. I had my other house professionally
painted. They painted around them but it still ****ed me off. It was
obvious that they didn't remove them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 08:53:23 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Yes but I know one thing if you remove it a few times
it gets loose.

....use a wedge of duct tape to fix it
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

nate

I'm not in that universe. I remove the cover plates, wash, clean and
put them back on. Looks better and no cost for tape ... yada yada .

I did paint one switch gold because I could not find a color I
demanded at the time It matched the cover plate...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:56:26 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Dadi,

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/030477J.pdf

Dave M.

.... yup, bottom right corner

That is what I looked at and mentioned above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message

Dadi,

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/030477J.pdf

Dave M.

Thanks. I'll pull harder

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woodchucker" wrote in message

On 11/3/2013 10:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the
switch/receptacle covers. One of the boxes has a
Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch has a cross
piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's
a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution
is "remove the cross piece". My
question is, "How?" I've tried pulling, twisting and
prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I
put in the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Can't you pry the cover at the ends then twist it around
and fit it through the slot?

Nope.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

nate

I'm not in that universe. I remove the cover plates, wash, clean and
put them back on. Looks better and no cost for tape ... yada yada .

I did paint one switch gold because I could not find a color I
demanded at the time It matched the cover plate...

Indeed. The typical ivory heavy plastic plates look much better after a
wash!

I have however bought lots of the old pressed brass plates off a certain
auction site for much less than buying new reproduction ones (.030" or
..040" solid brass, with nice crisp bevels, not the brass tone plated
steel ones that you buy at the Big Box) due to them having coats of
paint over them... I just soak them in hot water to float the paint off
and if they have a nice even patina I leave them alone, otherwise polish
them up as best I can. A nice vintage look for not a lot of dough. I
just dragged all my leftovers out because a friend just bought an old
house and expressed an interest in them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes but I know one thing if you remove it a few times
it gets loose.

...use a wedge of duct tape to fix it

Glue it back on with Ambroid Cement. Sticks to almost anything, dries
quickly, strong, but not so strong you can't break it when you need
to. Never grows old if you keep the cap on the tube. I had a tube
that I used on occasion and it was as good 20 years later as it was
when I bought it.

IIRC I remove excess either with a knife or by rubbing it a lot with
my fingers. I'm not sure if the solvent in the cement will damage the
wall plate or not. Probably not, since it's used to assemble plastic
modesl, but test on the back of the plate.

Only available in hobby and model stores, model airplanes, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

Not my mother or me. My mother once hired a blind man to paint the
interior, and she saved money by removing and later replacing all the
wall plates herself. He couldn't see well enough to do that part, but
he did a nice job on the paint. I was at school during the day so I
don't know how blind he was, but that's what she said.

nate

I'm not in that universe. I remove the cover plates, wash, clean and
put them back on. Looks better and no cost for tape ... yada yada .

I did paint one switch gold because I could not find a color I
demanded at the time It matched the cover plate...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Easy. Just remove about one square foot of the wall and take it to an
electrician or electrical supply house. They'll show you how.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I never took one apart by the look at picture you prime up edges twisted at
90 degree
and it should come off.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a
photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution
is "remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:10:47 -0800, "Tony944" wrote:

I never took one apart by the look at picture you prime up edges twisted at
90 degree
and it should come off.

Huh?! Can you repeat that?

P.S. Your answer does not apply in this circumstance.
Senior Member

I would put the slide in the middle position so that you can move the wall plate away from the wall as far as possible, wrap a piece of masking tape around it's perimeter and sneak a brush over the area of the wall covered and bordered by the wall plate.

I agree with Tony on this one. It's not worth spending a lot of time finding out how to properly remove that knob when you can work with the situation you have reasonably well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:26:48 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle

covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch

has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is

"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,

twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in

the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

--

dadiOH

____________________________

Does the cross piece rotate? From the picture, it looks like the cover would slip over the cross piece if it were rotated 90 degrees. Or maybe you could rotate the cover.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 11:03 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

nate

I saw a metal sink painted over, in a cheap
apartment, one time. Yikk. Disgusting. Also
painted over switches, sockets, and probably
cockroaches.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes but I know one thing if you remove it a few times
it gets loose.

...use a wedge of duct tape to fix it

Good man's answer, duct tape and wedgies.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 9:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

I've used small needle nose pliers like a pickle fork ball joint removal
too to remove stuck knobs. The trick is to have something
to cover your fulcrum point on the cover to prevent damage. If you
have a popsicle stick and a fork you don't care too much about, with
the power off, of course, slide the fork under the flat knob and use
the wooden stick under the fork to protect the plastic cover and pry
against the popsicle stick to pop the knob off. It should work without
scarring op the plastic. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes but I know one thing if you remove it a few times
it gets loose.

...use a wedge of duct tape to fix it

Good man's answer, duct tape and wedgies.

Don't forget the WD-40.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

On 11/3/2013 11:03 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but
apparently the entire rest of the universe paints right
over the covers and switches (except for Yours Truly,
who is very annoyed by that practice.) nate

I saw a metal sink painted over, in a cheap
apartment, one time. Yikk. Disgusting. Also
painted over switches, sockets, and probably
cockroaches.

Sounds like a USN installation

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the
switch/receptacle covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron
Glyder dimmer switch. That switch has a cross
piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a
photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The
obvious solution is "remove the cross piece". My
question is, "How?" I've tried pulling, twisting and
prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I
put in the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

OK, it's done. I used a couple of spoons - thanks to whoever suggested
them - to pry with. They worked well because they were thin enough to get
under the lip at top and bottom, rounded to provide a fulcrum; two because
one can either pry with even or differential pressure at two points.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2013 10:45 AM, dadiOH wrote:
OK, it's done. I used a couple of spoons - thanks to whoever suggested
them - to pry with. They worked well because they were thin enough to get
under the lip at top and bottom, rounded to provide a fulcrum; two because
one can either pry with even or differential pressure at two points.

Thank you for sharing what worked. Very
kind of you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:45:59 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

OK, it's done. I used a couple of spoons - thanks to whoever suggested
them - to pry with. They worked well because they were thin enough to get
under the lip at top and bottom, rounded to provide a fulcrum; two because
one can either pry with even or differential pressure at two points.

....so the knob does pull off like the instructions say
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:42:23 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I saw a metal sink painted over, in a cheap
apartment, one time. Yikk. Disgusting. Also
painted over switches, sockets, and probably
cockroaches.

Sounds like a USN installation

If it moves, paint it green. Go Army!

If it don't move; paint it green anyway.

Hooah!

--
"Never accuse a Soldier of being a Marine"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:07:19 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 11/3/2013 11:03 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but apparently the entire rest
of the universe paints right over the covers and switches (except for
Yours Truly, who is very annoyed by that practice.)

nate

I saw a metal sink painted over, in a cheap
apartment, one time. Yikk. Disgusting. Also
painted over switches, sockets, and probably
cockroaches.

We looked at a house that had a porcelain/cast sink and Formica
kitchen counter painted over. The pool pump was sucking air, too.
Pass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, it's done. I used a couple of spoons - thanks to
whoever suggested them - to pry with. They worked well
because they were thin enough to get under the lip at
top and bottom, rounded to provide a fulcrum; two
because one can either pry with even or differential
pressure at two points.

...so the knob does pull off like the instructions say

HEY, not MY fault it didn't have instructions printed on it

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 10:26:48 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

I'm preparing to paint a room and was removing the switch/receptacle
covers. One of the boxes has a Lutron Glyder dimmer switch. That switch
has a cross piece...push on/off, slide to dim or brighten. Here's a photo:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

The cross piece keeps the cover from being removed. The obvious solution is
"remove the cross piece". My question is, "How?" I've tried pulling,
twisting and prying, doesn't budge. I KNOW it comes off, has to, I put in
the switch in the first place. Anybody know?

Rather than risk breaking it, why not just be careful with your
paintbrush and paint around the switch plate. It's not that difficult.
I usually remove the plates too, but if that one is more work than just
removing a screw or two, leave it alone!

Some people use painters tape too. Personally I find it's more work to
tape stuff than just carefully paint. All it takes is a wet paper towel
to remove a couple drips that accidentally get in the wrong place. Just
do it before the paint drys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rotating the cover plate do it will slip over the knob is what occurred to me, just like an earlier poster suggested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Rotating the cover plate do it will slip over the knob is
what occurred to me, just like an earlier poster
suggested.

It's all ready done but just FYI, the shank of the cross piece prevented
rotating the cover plate.

--

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 18:20:29 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

It's all ready done but just FYI, the shank of the cross piece prevented
rotating the cover plate.

In ten years the Home Groaners Hub will reply.